Oregon chain compared to others

3/8 .050 72dl. Thanks.

The guy I used to buy from doesn't have a online store anymore it seems. But I did send you a link for $15 a loop and $5 shipping for all the loops you want sent for only $5.

The biggest issue I have with Stihl chains ( apart from the price!) is that they don't bore very well once they have been sharpened about 1/3 way down. For those of you that don't bore cut much, that is not an issue, but it really is to me.

Anders was complaining about the same thing last week, when he used a Stihl chain that had been hanging around for a while.

Am I the only one here who has noticed that?

Stig you probably use the Oregon 73 LP chain and have tried the Stihl 35 RS chain. The 73LP does bore better then the 73 LGX or the Stihl 35RS because of the straight raker and ramp on the drive link. If you could get a hold of some Stihl Klassic chain with the straight front raker you may find it bores as well as the Oregon 73LP.

Willard,

Maybe i haven't been cutting long enough[only 8 years]but i really haven't had much trouble bore cutting except for on time when a know it all rookie climber decided to take the rakes on a 460 down to almost nothing,ruined a never sharpened new 30" chain.

I get my chains from Bailey's.
Less than ½ price compared to buying them here.
Bailey's don't sell Stihl chains.

When the Stihl comfort chain came out, my dealer gave me one to try out. That reallydidn't bore well IMO.

Not sure about were Stig get his chains, but here we can't get 73Lp anymore, 73LPX only. No LGX here either...
I made a typo there I should have said LPX. I'm thinking old school. I think the reason LGX never caught on in Scandinavia is because Oregon makes the rebadged LPX for Husqvarna and Jonsered.

Willard.

LGX have never gotten here, I can't order it from Blount.
LG was availeble in the end after a lot of hassle... But LGX will not be.

LPX is sold less than LP here.
More buy Windsor 58APL instead of 73 LPX as the 58APL.

I do sell some 58APLG...

The demand for chisel is very minimal here as 90% of the saws are under 60cc. The trees and work is better suited for semichisel as it is a lot of delimbing and small wood, not so much strait cutting.
Bigger saws use it...

The demand for chisel is very minimal here as 90% of the saws are under 60cc. The trees and work is better suited for semichisel as it is a lot of delimbing and small wood, not so much strait cutting.
Bigger saws use it...
Semi chisel works well with frozen wood also. Is there much .325 used in your country for those 60cc under pro saws?

Willard.

Under 60cc it is 99% .325 with exception of commercial grade that run 3/8Hobby.
Very rare to sell or even hear people know there is chisel in .325
Some of my firewood swingers get it here at my place, but this is place a exception...

If you go to a normal dealer here and ask for a chisel .325, you leave empty handed. I don't know anyone else that have it home. I know a fair bunch of dealers...

Same thing goes for semi chisel on 3/8...

Bigger saws use it...

Why would Goran come out with those ATOP file guides in goofy file and square file in Sweden if everyone over there uses semi chain?

He did it for 3/8 chain first. I got that among the first ones...
Görans Atop cut is no good here in south as we have mostly hardwood and the profile of the tooth give a very high angle on the corner and it dulls too fast compared to round file or Square file.
It has its place, but not in the woods here.

The .325 is hardly sold here at all.... Those I hear talk about it on .325 use it on semi chisel. It is not optimal...

Magnus, on this side of the water, every pro user I know run full chisel on their .325 chain.

Back in the happy pulp days, a lot of people felt that semichisel worked smoother for limbing, but I was not one of them.
I only use semi for x-mas trees, because you are cutting so close to the dirt all the time.

I think you will find a couple loggers in south Sweden that tested it... That's about it!
I doubt most dealer would even order it, they just say it doen't exist...

And it is really strange...
No matter what I say, they even test it here, but won't choose it...
I even offered it as a gift to a couple, but they said no, that is for bigger saws...

I can only do so much... If there is no interest or curiosity, not much I can do...

Magnus maybe you need more cold weather and frozen timber in Sweden.
In the winter of 1986 a Stihl engineer from the German factory named Yurgen Wolf came to visit us loggers in northern Manitoba Canada when it was about -35 -40 C windchill [minus- 40C and minus- 40F are the same] With our small spruce timber he said he was surprised we were not using 50cc saws. We had 266s, 670s, 930s, 064s. But then when he saw our frozen solid logs in the landing which he then admitted he never saw logs froze that much before.
He then tried my 064 -18" with a fresh sharpened chain on one of these logs and he said "I see why you use big saws".

Willard.

What is the average yearly diameter growth on those trees, Willard.
I'd expect really dense timber from growing conditions like that.

Ye gods, Willard. Brutal conditions. I'm gonna stay down here in the balmy south :).
We had to do what we had to do Burnham. In our cold logging wasn't so bad, when it was that cold it was always bright sunshine out, dry and you could dress and work comfortably. No limbing with the saw because they fell off by the time the skidder got them to the landing and the tops usually broke off when the tree hit the ground or just the skidder running over them would break them off at 3 1/2".
and at the end of the day our women warmed us up when we got home.

Willard:lol:.

What is the average yearly diameter growth on those trees, Willard.
I'd expect really dense timber from growing conditions like that.
Our best treelength pulpwood was our black spruce 4"-6" DBH , 40-45ft topped at 3 1/2". As thick as hair on a dogs back with a few limbs near the top. Lots and lots of smaller stuff. We have nice sized white spruce sawlogs also 24"- 36" DBH the very biggest being 5 ft at the butt.

Willard

The logging here is very different from what you are used to Willard. Sweden is split in south and north and its logging is very different in south and north.
Here i South we have hardwood and lots of trouble producing pulpwood in the manner they do in north.
Sweden is tall, but not very wide so it has lots of variations in climate north and south.
The German logging is different from here too. The closest you come to our logging in Germany is mountain logging in the high country in south.
Only place I have seen same logging as here is Nothern Finland.
I don't know about Denmark or norway, I think Stig can tell more of that.

When it gets below -20c loggers don't go out here in the south, gets too expensive and unpractical. In north they do down to about -35c. About 10-15c difference but it feels the same.
Then it is too cold to do anything with any productivity, so they do something else.

Here is a good pic that explain a bit of the location.
Atlantic_Ocean.png

I agree and after -45C the structure of metal is changed also. Very hard on the skidders and other other heavy equipment ,a machines $5000 walking beam is not worth breaking in that cold.
But having said that, there is little effect on the little chainsaw, bar and sawchain.
Built and tested tough.

Willard.

Back