Oregon chain compared to others

The ones with most experience of cutting in cold weather I believe are the Russians. Shock absorbing bars to save it from breaking and allow it to change shape a bit too..
There are some really nasty conditions.
Husqvarna, Jonsered, Partner, McCulloch, Homelite etc... None of them work there.

But the Drusba and Ural do.. I have a pic some were of a Drusba after about 4hrs running If I remember correct. Frozen solid with exception of out let on muffler.
Starting saws below -30 is no fun, these run and start better in cold.

Here is just a piece of that old 72LG to look for and the chain builders are looking for because of the cutter. I found a bunch of it. :D

Here is also a Olberg copied file that is good for Wink $8.95 at Madsen's

CopyofOregon76.jpg

Copyoffiles002.jpg

The ones with most experience of cutting in cold weather I believe are the Russians. Shock absorbing bars to save it from breaking and allow it to change shape a bit too..
There are some really nasty conditions.
Husqvarna, Jonsered, Partner, McCulloch, Homelite etc... None of them work there.

But the Drusba and Ural do.. I have a pic some were of a Drusba after about 4hrs running If I remember correct. Frozen solid with exception of out let on muffler.
Starting saws below -30 is no fun, these run and start better in cold.

The modern Stihl saws with the "Artic"heated carbs and Husqvarna's heated carbs would work fine there. But this advancement is only recent. Stihl introduced the electronic heated carb in 1992 on the 044 and 066. I field tested those first ones. The Druzhbas were a one of a kind though. Ran real nice. A collector brought one to our powersaw contest about 25 yrs ago and demonstrated it bucking a log on our sawhorse. The way the handles are positioned his hands were over his head.

Willard.

Here is just a piece of that old 72LG to look for and the chain builders are looking for because of the cutter. I found a bunch of it. :D

Here is also a Olberg copied file that is good for Wink $8.95 at Madsen's

Yes no anti-vibe and superior working corner.
Oberg 150 best of the workingman's chisel bit files, was discontinued about 1982.

Willard

The modern Stihl saws with the "Artic"heated carbs and Husqvarna's heated carbs would work fine there. But this advancement is only recent. Stihl introduced the electronic heated carb in 1992 on the 044 and 066. I field tested those first ones. The Druzhbas were a one of a kind though. Ran real nice. A collector brought one to our powersaw contest about 25 yrs ago and demonstrated it bucking a log on our sawhorse. The way the handles are positioned his hands were over his head.

Willard.
Not were, Willard... Are! They are the only thing that work in some places...
They try every years new models and listen to high promises and it won't work.
They still sell and run Drusba there.

Öberg was bought up... Still makes files today for others I believe.
I can look it up if you like I think I have that info some were...

Öberg was bought up... Still makes files today for others I believe.
I can look it up if you like I think I have that info some were...

I'm listening. The race chain makers from all over has always bragged on them.

I found some photos of the Drusba in a Google search. They were from Magnus' website. I didn't want to poach them. Strange looking saw.

I found some photos of the Drusba in a Google search. They were from Magnus' website. I didn't want to poach them. Strange looking saw.

They sure are. I found a link to a good video but it froze my computer when I tried to embed it. I did see it, might not be as bad on the back as this one looks. Shame about the smoke.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RwKliIkKAVM?fs=1&hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RwKliIkKAVM?fs=1&hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I ran Ural more than Drusba.
When using it correct with the spikes, it is really easy on the body. It takes some practice to run it.
The tube he has going out of the side on the last video is for hydraulic vedge.
Good things!

I'm listening. The race chain makers from all over has always bragged on them.
Lets see if I remember this correct.

Sandvik bought Öberg, Bacho bought Sandvik.
Last I bought Öberg files it said Sandvik on the box, but this was a long time ago.

I'll see if I find the info from Sandvik when they bought Öberg.

Lets see if I remember this correct.

Sandvik bought Öberg, Bacho bought Sandvik.

Bacho bought Sandvik. I knew about that part, but not the first part you posted. I used to buy my 42" bow saw blades and they were made by them.

Found almost a 100' feet of the older Oregon 73 LG with out lines and not tilted cutter like the newer stuff. Could also use the cutters to put on the 76 LG chassis. ;) Just posting becuase I know some were wanting it. ;)

Copyofmoreoregonchain002.jpg

Just sharing the old boxes with the info on the back of the Oregon 76LG chains. Looks like between the 2 pics of backs you can read everything.

Oregon 76LG 3/8 050 chains

76LGchain002.jpg

76LGchain004.jpg

76LG.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Kevin, I would think you'd get good use out of that chain without putting the cutters on the heavier chassis. Nice find!

Kevin, I would think you'd get good use out of that chain without putting the cutters on the heavier chassis. Nice find!

Other way around. Guys put the 72 cutters on the 76 lighter chassis for racing.

I have yet to be able to run a stock loop of it to see how it cuts. All was spoke for before it got in my hands this time around. 505dl worth or 8 loops.

So how is it? I was thinking my ported 346 46cc OE that pulls full 3/8 with authority would love this stuff.

Back