Oregon chain compared to others

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If you think of the mileage that gets sold, if someone could design and patent a better cutting chain, they would probably become rich. Like the person who thought up barbed wire.

Old Dozer Dan found a bunch of that planer chain NOS and gave me a call about it .I didn't have any use for it so he sold it on flea bay and got a fair amount of change for it . The stuff was supposed to simulate the old cross cut whip saws .

Thanks Willard... I suspected as much.. i have not bought any from them yet... But I might.. Bailey's went BO on me for a few loops that just took a long time to get.. They pull that again I will probably just order it from Ahlborn instead.

It could be a china chain too as there are no numbers on it any were. Carlton usually have something some..
I zoomed in close and saw numbers on the drive links on a few of the chains I looked at on that site. For example on the 3/8"- .050 the drive links had A1 on them which is a Carlton code.

Willard.

It say's made in USA still think this is china chain. Seen several that use popular brands number/letter systems, but still is just copy.
Perhaps not any worse, but it just seem wrong.

photo

If you think of the mileage that gets sold, if someone could design and patent a better cutting chain, they would probably become rich. Like the person who thought up barbed wire.
Jay funny you mention barb wire relating with cutting chain. As history goes a farmer and trained millwright James Shand from Manitoba, Canada obtained a patent on his homemade sawchain in 1918. An idea he got after some barbwire his team of horses were pulling had cut through a 7" oak fence post.
He fitted cutting teeth on his son's bicycle chain, a guide bar was built to support it much like our guide bars today and then powered it with a flexable Bowden cable driven by a one cylinder gas engine. He used this saw at Manitoba Bridge Works and in 1919 he took 2 working models to British Columbia, hoping to find interested manufacturers. But no interest was found because its 24" bar was too short for west coast logging.
Shands chainsaw patent with diagrams is still on display today at the Manitoba Museum of Man and Nature in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.
Another interesting note, half ways around the world in Sweden also in 1919 a saw similar to Shands was invented called the "Sector". The inventors name was A.V. Westfelt.

Willard.

Everything I have gotten with Forester on it has been a china copy of a name brand so far. Haven't bought chain though.

First Sector Patent is filed 1915 and approved 1916. It was powered by Arkimedes Balans engine, two cylinder Boxer engine. First was water cooled.
It is mentioned in newspaper around spring 1915, but I think it was already a year old then.
Its chain was not riveted together, just hooked and there was no support for chain other then corner wheels.
I have seen 4 different styles of cutting attachments for Sector.

sec43xg.jpg

The "endless saw chain" was already in use on more or less stationary saws.
Many chains specifically made for cutting timber was filed and approved around 1900.
H.E Martin USA had a chain approved 1914 for example.
Lots of types were tried, but scratcher and chisel were those that caught on.
Especially scratcher as it was easier for most to file as it resemble a saw blade most of the two.

Excellent information Magnus. On my next trip to the Manitoba Museum of Man and Nature [650 km away] I'll take some photos of the James Shand 1918 bar and sawchain patent display and post it on here. I've seen the display several times already.
I think there is a virtual tour of the museum on the internet, but I can't seem to get it to work.

Willard.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Great photo there Magnus, and that is quite an odd looking gizmo that the man is using.

Back