How'd it go today?

Back to logging today. Dumped some nice big white pines. Going to dump some more tomorrow. We've got to get it done before the turtles show up to start screwing.:/: We're using the excavator to bring the logs up and out of the hole. I guess in the PNW they call that hoe-chucking.:lol:

I took down a pretty good size liquid amber this morning. My cousin is going to try and get the trunk cut into lumber so I got him a couple of long chunks. Did a couple of bids and got home at dark. Trailer working good!

Yesterday the out of town comp came in to do a nasty job that I put 3500 bucks on. They slashed it to 1275 and are still going at it strong on day 2 looks like a 3rd day is going to be in store for these guys

I killed 8 pines today. Chipped the brush, stacked logs and left. We did a good job of not scattering debris everywhere.

Kicking back with some Sam Adams. Got a grand worth of stumps to do tomorrow.

did some trunk flare excavations (15' western red cedars with 16" rootballs planted last fall, 2 to 6 inches too deep...) along with application of Mycorhizzae and alfalfa meal. then home to plug away at a report and two landscape designs, then watch Bub for 5 hours while mommy went to work. :)

Attachments

• P3205457 (Large).JPG
    P3205457 (Large).JPG
    221.3 KB · Views: 6
Does 9" dbh count as a tree? If so, I felled two trees today. :D

In the City of Tampa, Florida, a permit is required to remove any tree over 5". So yes, those do count as trees. :thumbup:

Did you do any fancy rigging? :P

In the City of Tampa, Florida, a permit is required to remove any tree over 5". So yes, those do count as trees. :thumbup:

Did you do any fancy rigging? :P

Why yes, I did actually. I did a PICTURE perfect parallel park a folded in side truck mirror's length away from a barn lot fence so I could REACH the tree which I could access only from that side of the fence.

My directionality was perfect, my hinge worked great...unfortunately...I failed in the face cut department and the damned thing fell but stayed attached.

Not to worry though....I had the JD out and ready to go so I just hooked to it, gave it a tug and popped it off....then looped it over the 250's hitch and dragged it to the closest ice storm pile up the hill.

The other tree went exactly the same way. Then I fed (and didn't get smacked in the head on the way through the lot.)

:D

I wish it was all this storm damage was as easy to take care of.

(I'm pretty happy to be able to do this as I haven't been able to even lift a saw that easily for quite some time. I'm back.)

She's back! :D

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uQ_aXyStWO0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uQ_aXyStWO0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Went to Alcatraz today to look at bird nests, all empty.

I'm a little early in the season but it's good to heap up on gravy these days.

The last picture is a random swimmer in the bay, no wetsuit or anything.
Very weird. You can't jump off the island so they came from the east bay.

Regular mermaid.

Attachments

• Alcatraz3.21.09 027.JPG
    Alcatraz3.21.09 027.JPG
    278.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Alcatraz3.21.09 004.JPG
    Alcatraz3.21.09 004.JPG
    193.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Alcatraz3.21.09 025.JPG
    Alcatraz3.21.09 025.JPG
    372.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Alcatraz3.21.09 010.JPG
    Alcatraz3.21.09 010.JPG
    257.4 KB · Views: 14
Back from our first volunteer day at the Ashland Estate. We got all their brush chipped and the wood cut and stacked. No climbing, since brush chipping took up all the time. The manager was extremely happy with our work and some of the volunteers they had picked up some business cards. A news station also came out and took a bit of film, so it looks like we'll be on the news tonight!!!

Only bad thing is the chipper is acting up. The feed wheel is feeding really slow, due to what we think to be a bad bearing. The grease holes are seized up on it, so we think it's just a bad bearing. Tomorrow should reveal the answer when we open her up and take a peek!

Now I just have to wait till the 25th!! Along with us, another crew is coming out to finish it all up and do some volunteer work on some of the poorer neighborhoods that can't afford decent tree work. Best part is I'll be a climber and the other crew also has a small k-boom for picking up wood, so no back straining lifting for us!:D

Helped another tree guy chip brush and clean up a white pine. I also got a call already from those yard signs.

I just put them out last night! Yeah! :d

Yee haw!

Didn't do squat today. Just emptied out my truck boxes as the temperature fluctuation has caused condensation and made my rigging gear damp.

Otherwise got 2 calls for work, one should be a go ahead, the other I meet with tomorrow. That's 5 calls this week.

Took a down a big ol' hemlock. Chipper was a nightmare. Anvil is rounded. Drum chipper. It'll take hardwood right in but anything soft is a nightmare. Time for a new anvil.

Got that property line done today that I have been trying to get to for the two clients.... They really don't care for each other so I have been playing go between for months. I should have been a politician. HAHAHA Then did a small live oak TD and probably scored 1/2 cord of wood or so from it. Was right up against a valley oak and all I had to do was go up 8 feet and drop each leader where I wanted them so we did not have to fight the hill or rocks. Levi got to go with us today so he was thrilled and had a great day also. :D

Back