How'd it go today?

Is your garage your overflow heat, or on because you want it that warm?

Every year im hating the wood stove. Mess mess mess. I did bring it from 58 to 72 now after working all day. Cant wait to get my forever place and go with a boiler.

It's easier to leave the temp up than to wait for it to recover. Ideally the Modine would have 180* water, but it only gets 100 to 130*, so it takes longer. The heater in the garage is plumbed into the return line from the oil furnace, which I only use as a tank to supply the baseboard radiators. So, the house gets first chance at the heat coming from the heat exchanger, and any left over gets run through the hanging Modine. It flows through it all the time, which doesn't do much until the thermostat kicks on. It only runs for about five minutes at a time to maintain that temp, maybe every hour or so. I haven't spent much time in there at this temp, I would guess it is going to run much more often. I am so happy to not have to lug firewood through the living room any more, and at these temps, I would have to run the oil just to keep the baseboards from freezing. This is my first night on hardwood slabs, but I think I will still have about a 15 hour burn time on one load.:D No more stoking the wood stove in the house every three or four hours.

Another day

Happy new Year guys! Hope its going to be a good one!

You must be used to the pics and vids I post by now, so im not going to stop there, business as usual today, large oak removal with very little LZ, wood leaning way over a garage and car port. Did the bucket work to what we could reach today in blisteringly cold windchill... Got chipped up by 4.30, back in the morning to climb the rest, and take out a hickory too. Im hoping to use the hickory stick as a rigging point just to get the big wood away from the garage roof. Or just pull some big bits off with a pulley and redirect. (If all else cut it small!)

Benn

Attachments

• IMG_3002.jpg
    IMG_3002.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 50
It's easier to leave the temp up than to wait for it to recover. Ideally the Modine would have 180* water, but it only gets 100 to 130*, so it takes longer. The heater in the garage is plumbed into the return line from the oil furnace, which I only use as a tank to supply the baseboard radiators. So, the house gets first chance at the heat coming from the heat exchanger, and any left over gets run through the hanging Modine. It flows through it all the time, which doesn't do much until the thermostat kicks on. It only runs for about five minutes at a time to maintain that temp, maybe every hour or so. I haven't spent much time in there at this temp, I would guess it is going to run much more often. I am so happy to not have to lug firewood through the living room any more, and at these temps, I would have to run the oil just to keep the baseboards from freezing. This is my first night on hardwood slabs, but I think I will still have about a 15 hour burn time on one load.:D No more stoking the wood stove in the house every three or four hours.

Badass. I lug wood in copper wash bins through the kitchen. :|:

I tell ashly whenever she ready to pay for oil ill gladly sell my wood.

Climbing in tomorrow mornings cold and wind (+5*, W chill minus 10-15* ), you must be nuts, mate!

Drove the fans to Lawrence, Kansas today to watch the girls play basketball. Spending the night in Topeka where the overnight low will be 3*.

The bus will run all night while I'm sleeping. That way I won't have to worry about it starting in the morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got some maintenance done on my chipper which was great. replacing two tension pins on the clutch lever shaft really tighten the clutch up. It's a funky funky u-joint type of thing.
beb0b8060ef741205e64bb570faa240e.jpg
I left extra length sticking out just in case it wanted to shift as vibration wore the roll pins down.

I tighten the throttle cable clamp on my boxer which seems to have alleviated that issue. I'm trying to sort out why the hydraulic oil cooling fan doesn't seem to be going on. Tomorrow I'll try to get the part numbers and get to replacement hydraulic hoses, 1 leaking and 1 collapsing.

The wrong starter came as I figured the starter would match the engine on my chipper in the automobile application but instead of getting a starter for a 318 Dodge Dart I needed to get a starter for a 198 cubic inch straight six Barracuda. Typically I order parts for a 75 Dodge Dart. While I was in there I saw the ballast resistor was shot and replace that before it fried ignition coil. Another one of those $5 fixes that keeps you from breaking down.
6e671c1a9b3b5f7422bf08cc04b422f0.jpg
the old one broke into pieces when I unfolded it. What timing!

Sharpened the chipper blades. Resisting changing them. Maybe tomorrow after the correct starter comes into napa.

Got the work area cleaned up... all the firewood is processed in one area which is nice.

I tighten the throttle cable clamp on my boxer which seems to have alleviated that issue. I'm trying to sort out why the hydraulic oil cooling fan doesn't seem to be going on. Tomorrow I'll try to get the part numbers and get to replacement hydraulic hoses, 1 leaking and 1 collapsing.

Ha, have fun. I had to rip apart my wire harness when i had one to find a dead end in a factory splice. Sounds like youll have to do the same to get hydro cooler working again. My was about 8-12" from the starter switch, under the black plate. Hydro hoses collapsing, really? They guy who bought my old new one has hydro leaks too!

Text me if you want a pic. I still have one.

Just popping in to say hi. Been having a rough go of it this winter, but I will persevere. Family is healthy and we have a roof over our heads. Everything from personal tragedy to hitting and killing a black angus bull on the highway with my plow truck. Chin up and all that. Really I've had such a shit storm thrown at me this winter I've probably forgotten more things that have happened than I remember. All topped off with the biggest snow storm in 40 years at the beginning of this week. The icing on the cake.

Half crazed from sleep deprivation right now. When you combine that with the half crazed I normally am, it gets ugly. Been pulling 15-20hrs all week, and can't sleep much in between it seems. I'm half caught up now and can start on clearing out my farm to get things back to sort of normal.

Killin little pines in short sleeves today .. .Then took the afternoon off and poured some concrete for the deck stair landing :)

You should try climbing in Carhart bibs! Too cold to do shit! -6, wind chills still in the -20-30 range. It's been a very unproductive week.

Logging beech trees on a ridge today.
Rain, sleet and lots of wind.
Too miserable to do anything but push on with the job.
Hottub was pure heaven after work:)

Heal up, Justin. Keep on keeping on. Sorry to hear about your have a personal tragedy most of all of that.

A little melatonin might help with the sleep. Without sleep, nothing works right. Taking a little 'extra' out of the work day for sleep might help.

Back