How'd it go today?

I logged places like that but never cut the trees, so when we got there all the crazy shooting down the mountain had long since passed. Sometimes a log would get uprooted and take off but we were always well clear.

Thanks Scott...
Here is the one I stripped out and felled. 80' stick
Left the top on it so it would land close to the burn pile ;)
FIELD GOAL!
DSCF0127.jpg DSCF0138.jpg DSCF0144.jpg

Trying to spare even the little ones in this grove. So much dead

Maybe I mentioned it but I subbed as a climber for a nasty emergency removal earlier in the week. Sunday I think it was. Anyways, that's neither here nor there but I ran a stihl 461 and found it to be a really nice tool. Good ergonomics, smooth power across the board, and good power to weight. I will have to buy one towards spring as my fleet is starting to become sick and weak this fall.

I liked it. Good saw. I do miss my 044's and most of all, the 064 I once adopted while learning the trade. I learned how to cut with that saw.

Nope, but my old Pro Mac 850 is supposed to be stopped like that unless it is an emergency stop. Thats what it says in the manual.

I have a 460 Chris that I really like. I f'ed it up cutting fence posts this fall, but it will be going shortly.

Nice fall Stephen. My kinda tree!

I am no die hard Ford man, I have several that I like though.

Whenever August posts a picture of ole green, there could be 100 naked swimsuit models in the background and I would not see them. I do like that pickup!

My current DIY project Raj: My wife wants hardwood floor or maybe epoxy or something in the master bedroom, don't know yet (she takes a while to decide some things, well...everything.) I tore up the carpet expecting to find a concrete slab and found glue where there used to be tile and as you can see some tile still remaining. Pandora's box.

View attachment 59121

I would try and leave the tiles right where they are if possible. Even the mastic that glued the tiles on has asbestos. Look into floor leveling compound.

Every saw that guy hypes that is what he does. Don't know why, but he does the same thing to every saw he has ever demoed.

That deuce and a half is AWESOME...first time I have seen that pictured.

Is that yours, August? You could start a thread on that thing. I have a 1945 International K-5 flatbed that would be wonderful for hauling logs...in storage, waiting for me to have time to work on it.

Those old military trucks are CHEEEEEP. I think it is called GovPlanet or something. You can even buy a Humvee, although my hired man who works at an OMS shop says you dont want a Humvee that the govt gets rid off!

Anyone got a line on a good used M-48 tank? I need one real bad.

It was a good thing to do on older saws, today it is not necessary as the elastic rubber thingy takes out the force of the rebound.

Chris, I just bought a 461 last week.
For fun!
First time I've ever bought a saw just for the hell of it.
Stihl was not going to market it in Scandinavia, which made me complain vehemently!!
Then my dealer called me and told that he'd ordered a large quantity of 441s ( Third largest dealer in the country) and they were backordered.
So Stihl offered to let him have a bunch of 461s instead.
Since I'd complained, he thought maybe I wanted one.
Conferred with Richard and got one for the hell of it.
Havent started it yet, or even put a bar and chain on it, but we have some beech logging after new year that is the PERFECT size for it, so I'll give a report on the performance then.

I just landed in Schweiz after 19 bad hours on the German autobahn.
As I was going over one of the longest bridges in Europe, all hell broke loose.
I couldn't stop on the bridge, but once I got to land, I crawled under the truck and found that the exhaust had come loose and was laying across the rotating drive train, being chewed apart.
No wonder it was noisy.
Couldn't do anything as I had left my tool box at home to make room for the mail order bride's stuff.
I crept on to the nearest town, to find some wire to tie it up with.
5 cars signalled to me that something was wrong, but I figured it was throwing sparks and signalled back that I had everything under control.

When I arrived at a town, I found that the jack wheel on the trailer had come loose and was dragging on the road. The wheel was completely gone, there was only the axle left, the rest had been a
braided away.
I hadn't heard or felt it because of the noise/vibraition from the broken exhaust been eaten up by the axle.
No frigging wonder they signalled me.

Must have looked like new year in Shanghai!!!!!!!!

15 hours later I went in to get diesel and was accosted by the German polizei, who politely asked if it was a normal Danish thing to drive down the Autobahn at night with no light on the trailer?
Turned out BOTH bulbs had vibrated loose. One was lying in the bottom of the light fixture.
What you get for bying an Irish trailer, I guess ( God invented alcohol to keep the Irish from ruling the world and all that)

At the Swiss border I was told I couldn't bring the wood into the country without a bill of sale.
No matter how many times I told them that I had been given the wood, since it was at that time uncertified and couldn't be sold, they wouldn't budge. A classic catch 22.

So I made a detour and smuggled it in.

It is snowing heavily here, so I spent 3 hours waiting for them to clear an accident off the highway.

Now I'm finally at the mail order bride's house.
She gave me a swift kiss on the cheek and went to work.
Now I just need to sleep for 14 hours then I'll be ready for the return trip.

Morale:

Don't marry a Swiss gal:lol:

Back