How'd it go today?

One purpose of the humboldt is to make the tree slide off the stump. That adds to the forward momentum.
I'd go for a wide open face with a german or block face in order to make the hinge hold as far as possible in order to minimize stump shot.

I hope you are easily entertained, because this was it for tonights show:lol:

German block face?

I usually go wide open to hold hinge long.

One purpose of the humboldt is to make the tree slide off the stump. That adds to the forward momentum.
I'd go for a wide open face with a german or block face in order to make the hinge hold as far as possible in order to minimize stump shot.

I hope you are easily entertained, because this was it for tonights show:lol:

Well.. mine worked just fine ;)

Attachments

• DSCF0141.jpg
    DSCF0141.jpg
    281.2 KB · Views: 36
  • DSCF0142.jpg
    DSCF0142.jpg
    303.2 KB · Views: 37
Excellent vid documenting that tree, August! Terri and I had the most pleasant time in Grants Pass meeting you all. It was a great visit. And having dinner with Willy to boot. So fine! Wish you all the best!

A forester would have a fit if I left a stump that high, Stephen. In private work it really doesn't matter so much. Though there are times a high stump is essential to see a proper end. And BTW, nice work on the fell. Nice square cuts and good hinge.

A forester would have a fit if I left a stump that high, Stephen. In private work it really doesn't matter so much. Though there are times a high stump is essential to see a proper end. And BTW, nice work on the fell. Nice square cuts and good hinge.

Exactly. On private property up here, no worries. I can cut my stumps as I see fit. Most of the trees I do are made into firewood. They will never see the likes of a mill. I went back today and they are already making 16" cookies for fire wood of it. I will cut the stump to ALAP on the next visit, or a chair for the HO. No matter. This is hardly logging. This is taking down dying trees (that often have wire fence in them up 4 feet) and doing what the owner of the tree wishes with it. Some may go to our mill once we have one. But until then... There ya go.

When we went through the 212 class the instructors would come around and yell at us if the stump was too low.

They wanted us upright and comfortable. Plenty of time later to low stump them, or cut em and pile them for burning so the instructors could not see them, as Grendel mentioned in another thread!

Low stumping is a good time to practice looking up.

I was felling in a clear cut on very steep ground. Side-hilling the trees as much as I could just so I could buck them. If I didn't leave an occasional high stump here and there on that slope the trees would just slide clean to the bottom of the mountain. Hundreds of feet! The high stumps would hold the trees on the slope, but even so,, after I bucked them the logs all went to the bottom anyway. the logs piled 30 feet deep. Made for fast logging by the rigging crew.

About half way up that slope a young green company forester reprimanded me for leaving high stumps below me on that slope. I explained my reasoning and fell a couple of trees to demonstrate. He learned something that day.

Even so, some of the high stumps I left were still to short to catch all the trees. Some would bounce on the slopes clean over a 4 foot stump. Go clean to the bottom. Some so far below me I wouldn't feel the least bit guilty for not going down to buck them. A man can only do so much.

High stumps have their place for more reasons than the scenario I just cited.

That is one reason I like it so much that different guys pitch in about their experiences...never would have occurred to me about leaving high stumps on hillsides to contain felled trees from sliding down a mountainside. That is way outside my realm of experience but a trick stored away none-the-less. Thanks for sharing.

I have had to leave high stumps just to rope off to clearing ravines. Safety lines. The burn pit was in the bottom. Any person cutting or working the slope could have been BBQ in an instant. Picture 5 feet deep hot coals by 15 plus foot diameter in 3 places in the bottom of a ravine. You could dump whole green oaks in them and watch them flash like you put gasoline on them...
Certain jobs just call for it. I was just cheating a couple more foot of log.
Hard to see in the pictures, but there was a crest up that hill before the shed. I was more worried about the last 10 feet slapping that crest and catapulting toward the shed. Just an "extra" safety margin for a target. We knew the log would fit. No Doubts.
Beetle kill pine can be pretty brittle.... All went as planned :)

When I was logging in Schweiz, we sometimes were asked to leave high stumps as a measure against avalanches.

Stephen, I should have kept my mouth shut.
You got as little stump shot on that fell as anyone could get, no matter what face cut they used.
Fine job.

I'm off for Schweiz in 10 minutes.
Gonna pick up the mail order bride's furniture and horse drawn carriage, so I'll be towing a trailer all the way through Germany.
Should take me about a solid 16 hrs behind the wheel.
I am soooooo not looking forward to this trip.

Have to stop at customs at both borders, since I'm bringing some 500 pds of Rio rosewood to sell to a Swiss recorder builder.
That species of wood is on CITES, so I'll need to get the certification stamped when it leaves Denmark and enters Schweiz.
Still worth it, even with all the paperwork.
It'll pay for the trip and a car for the mail order bride, when she comes up here.
I'll take the laptop, so I'll be back inHouse in 2 days.

I've logged steep ground too, sometimes difficult to sidehill away from the tree very far as it falls uphill. Fun to watch the limbs snap off into a big pile against the stump right in front of me as the whole tree goes past on its way to the bottom.

Thank you all for the complements on the floors! It's been twenty days in the making and the flooring guy is a true master, NO GAPS anywhere!!, In the new wood and what he did to repair the kitchen floor is just amazing! They glow in the day light now I just need to get better lighting, next on the list. Tomorrow it's finish painting the odds and ends touch up more or less, tacking up the baseboard, outlet covers, and sweeping the chimney. Ok maybe that is the rest of the weekend but Rome wasn't built in a day.

My current DIY project Raj: My wife wants hardwood floor or maybe epoxy or something in the master bedroom, don't know yet (she takes a while to decide some things, well...everything.) I tore up the carpet expecting to find a concrete slab and found glue where there used to be tile and as you can see some tile still remaining. Pandora's box.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419573162.996634.jpg

My current DIY project Raj: My wife wants hardwood floor or maybe epoxy or something in the master bedroom, don't know yet (she takes a while to decide some things, well...everything.) I tore up the carpet expecting to find a concrete slab and found glue where there used to be tile and as you can see some tile still remaining. Pandora's box.

View attachment 59121

Pandoras box indeed! Getting that tile is gonna be a beotch! This mourning I find myself dragging my feet.

That felling sidehill on steep ground sounds mighty hazardous and tricky, good on ya'll for gettin it done.

Back