How'd it go today?

Been a touch over nine months for me. It's been the best choice I've made. Memory and focus are much better. Only miss it when I split firewood. Such a dull task. Congrats.

I've never been a day drinker.

Me neither.
Me, my wife my siblings, my parents (when they were alive) and all of our families drink, we have two sorts of drinkers, the alcoholics who have had to stop, and those like me, alcohol dependent.
We all drink too much but after much practice have narrowed it down to a fine art. Very rarely overdo it.
I'd like to cut down and will try in the new year, but it's a nice reward in the evening.
Cannabis used to cause absent mindedness the next day as I moved into my mid thirties, so for that and other reasons I knocked that on the head.

I'm not a day drinker either...only on weekends or days off.
Busy treework season only with supper or before bed when posting on the net...makes me over expressive ha.
With over expressive talk I think my listeners understand me but it only leaves them thinking I'm half crazy.
:)
Thanks for the congrats everyone:thumbup:

Congrats for giving up the sauce? Commiserations more like!
"A day not spent in the company of a dog, without a drink at the end of it is a day half lived"
Abraham Lincoln circa 1963

Congrats for giving up the sauce? Commiserations more like!
"A day not spent in the company of a dog, without a drink at the end of it is a day half lived"
Abraham Lincoln circa 1963
Ha. I believe Lincoln's reasoning with the drink was he had to no choice but to "stay in the closet" as he preferred to share his bed with someone other then a female
:lol:

All this talk about drinking is making me want some now. I just get such terrible results, I could tell you guys stories… Jail and the whole bit. Definitely a daily drinker. Practically all I can think about once I start. Can out drink everyone I've ever met except for one. Honestly, I don't know how he did it. I quit in 1997 right after my daughter was born. I was 29. I looked down at her and I realized I didn't want to miss her life. I couldn't remember large expenses of time up to that point. Almost exactly 30 days later I quit. Didn't drink again for eight years. it was during those eight years that my career really took off and I stopped getting injured and got really nifty things like drivers license and an insurance and stuff. (and Jerry's book)
1997 was when I started documenting my work daily with 35 mm camera in an attempt to retain my experiences because I regretted having forgotten so many things due to alcohol.
I've drank a handful of times since 2005 without dire consequences but without good results either.

Some people are "allergic" to alcohol and just shouldn't ever drink. My father was like that... two beers and it was instant drunkenness.

I haven't heard of AA, MB, but there are hospital treatment places to help people kick the habit. I don't know about the effectiveness.

I used to after work Jim, but middle age means that I get bored with pissing all evening so it's mostly wine for me.

I like a glass of wine sometimes.

I dont drink very often. I should have mentioned that. But in the summertime I sometimes have a couple and make it home in time for supper.

You are not supposed to change your lifestyle when you join the fire department, you are seen as a whacker. But drinking three or four times a week was a good change to make. Cant respond drunk and I like responding.

All this talk about drinking is making me want some now...
I've drank a handful of times since 2005 without dire consequences but without good results either.

Dont do it anymore, aint worth it. Fight, fight the power.

I disagree. I think I'm an "Alcoholic," because I drink every night. However, I don't believe I'm allergic because I (so far, knock on wood) never drink more than I plan to.

Does that make any sense?

You sometimes make sense.
He was making a generalised statement.. You are running with it.
I am a double winner. Look it up ...
I should not drink and I do.
I have times when I don't ...
One is too many, 1000 is never enough.

Over the last 40 years my experiences with alcohol was varied but I never ended up in the drunk tank and never got a DUI.
I was always functional with the stuff , just never drank 12 beer or a bottle of rye in a sitting..
Internet surfing and posting before bedtime was my weakness. In a few hours a half bottle of good red wine every other day or so could be tolerated. Winter comes a few doubles of whiskey on the rocks times four in a sitting while on a tree site is also possible......but I'm usually editing and cleaning up a few loose ends of my posts the next day ,ha.
Like some of you guys have said focus ,sharpness in thinking and doing things is impaired and I see it too right away after having a drink .
Now just like what I did 25 years ago going cold turkey with smoking, alcohol is now getting it's turn.

I hope anyone who took the time to read this post benefits in any way what so ever.

Back