How'd it go today?

Soooooooo.....
Get out to the "little job" at the rentals down the street today. Looks like a new tenant in one of them. Looks like she also did some mowing, but not all the mowing. Go to start up the ride on mower and it is running like shat. Wyatt and Rob start weed whacking and I tear into the mower. Start simple.... Filter clogged (new one I just bought), plug fouled and then discover the choke is stuck. All fixed, start mowing. Then Rob is walking towards me. Looks upset. Tells me he took out the tenants car window with a rock. F**K! He said he was 40 feet out but shat!
He should have got the keys from the tenant (we do this all the time!) and move the damn car across the property. I go talk to the tenant and recognize her. I have known her, her dad and worked with her sister for years in the past. Hell, her dad is a client. She is all stresed and I try to calm her down and really what I need is to leave and calm down myself and deal with the situation. Tell her I will BRB as I need to go call my glass guy. I go home, call glass guy, another glass guy, my insurance agent for the mobile glass repair. NO ONE is around. Guess I have a lot more to do on Monday :roll:
I take the shop vac, a trash can, extension cords and a tarp back with me. At least the glass stayed in the door until I got back so that we could get the door open and take the broken glass from the frame over the tarp. I assure her this will all get handled. I guess she was leaving today for vacation with her sister (the one I once worked with) and was stressed about cats and what not getting in the car. I am about to go down town and get a new tarp to place over the door and window. I will also have to be making an appointment for the lawn mower to go in the shop. End of season and really needs service. PTO set up quit working and I could not make heads or tails of what went wrong or what might be missing. Yes, right before I was done with it :roll:
Last couple of days have been brutal.
At least the kids had fun. Lilly and Levi got to ride the mower with me and Seth got to use his weed eater "on the job" so to speak (more or less gave him a little corner to go play in).

Stopped in at a friends place today and he had this piece in his shop. It is a Pietra dura. I've never seen one before. It looks like an incredible painting, but upon closer inspection you see the different patterns of stone, and in some cases, you can see the spaces in between the pieces of stone, but only if the artist intended for you to see them. On the bottom side of the "platform" that the vases are on, there is a very slight gap between the brown and the slate substrate. This creates a shadow line that gives it an almost 3D appearance. The detail is so incredible that at first you think you can just pick one of them up. Crappy cell pic doesn't convey the detail.

pietradura.jpg

me and Bub today, did a leisurely bacon and eggs for breakfast, went to unload the truck at the dump, went to the storage locker for the last trinkets for the camp trip tomorrow, hit the gas station and back home for grilled cheese sandwiches and a nap, for him, not me, I got to catch up on some paperwork and troll ebay for a while. Didnt buy anything though, my spree is over. Hopefully I can get the last few things to the truck tonight so tomorrow I just have to pack the water jug and empty coolers down and we can bolt.

Stephen... some days you're the dog... some days you're the fireplug. We've all been there, bro.

Mowed the golf course in record time this morning... only 3 hours! Not bad, considering the new tractor threw the belt, so I just jumped onto the old one. :roll:

Quick lunch, then up to the hospital to visit Newfie for a bit. He's doing well, and should be leaving this week coming. :thumbup:

BBQ at my sisters' place, with some cake and ice cream for Charlette's 12th, and back home do do some more computer work. Chillin' at the moment.

Will do.

When we pulled up, I thought we were having grilled chicken. Real fresh grilled chicken. :lol:

grilled_chicken.jpg

Jammed with friends 'til 3:30 this am then drove the 100 mi. back home. Sacked out about 5:30. Went through some bills, Par boiling some chicken I'm gonna fry up and goofing off as I can't get into my online class to turn in homework and take test...no biggie nothing is due until Tues. might be time for ice cream & a movie

Not much going on here. Went to my house to water the plants, decide to burn an old shed that's been bothering me. Mission complete, it's a pile of coals currently. Cleaned up inside a little bit, put up some more insulation. Next couple weeks I'm taking the plunge on drywall, then things should start looking like something and be less depressing in there.

Taking a bike ride to the reservoir down the street, my buddys are going down to swim.

Leaving for a going away party for my main employee. He's leaving to go to school in Colorado, he'll work on winter break and he'll be back for next summer, but I am still going to miss him. He is one hell of a worker and has always busted his tail for me, not easy to replace. He has been with me from age 18-21 and it is almost like part of the family is leaving! Bittersweet to say the least.

Grilled chicken LMAO!!!

Had to shut all the puters down this morning as some thunder storms rolled through. Have the scanner on listening to the scramble on lightening fires. 4 confirmed so far.

Surges are weird.
My nearest neighbour lives a quarter mile away. He had a lightening strike hit his house and blow his wiring out just before I joined TH. The surge from that hit my house , bypassed the computer for some reason, but killed my printer, dishwasher and washingmachine+ blew a fuse in the furnace.
Why the computer survived is beyond me to explain.

They are a strange animal, for sure.

I did a mind-boggling amount of research into buying a proper surge protector to use with our laptop when we purchased our first computer this spring. It's WAY more complicated than one might assume, and getting good info on specs of a unit you might be considering is stupid hard.

Should have asked Al and Erik...but I figured their answers might be miles over my head :).

Progress energy installed a whole house surge. And guaranteed that any electrical item damaged by a surge of any sort will be replaced, free of charge. 3 bucks a month!
Changed oil in the chipper and Isuzu. Finished just in time for the rain to start.

Added some Lucas oil stabilizer to Isuzu. Anyone have experience with it?

Scott,
No experience with the Lucas stuff but on my last oil change in the bucket truck I used 1/3 Mobil1 synthetic 15w-50 and 2/3 regular Rotella 15w-40. I got the Mobil1 on sale for $5 per quart so the increased cost was negligible, but the truck runs a whole lot better now. The valve clatter went away, it revs quicker and stronger, runs cooler and feels like I gained 30hp.

Rotella costs me $15 per gallon and the Mobil1 costs me $20 per gallon. We aren't talking a huge cost difference.

Back