How'd it go today?

Brush cut, mowed and weed whacked a property we do every year for the last three days.. so far 20 or so acres down and about 10 or so to go. We'll go back in August to finish the rest of it. Then we start thinning trees, poison oak removal and ladder fuel reduction about 3 days a month for a few months again. Then go back and cut all the new growth back again next summer for 9 days. Got a nice tip again today too. :)
We got to explore some more of the acreage to see some features and where the HO might want us to push into. More planning to follow next month... Tuckered out looking forward to next week and get back into some trees....

Still passing time, waiting for logging season.
Today I trimmed a Parthenocissus tricuspidata .
Don't know if you have those in the US?

P1000902.JPG P1000903.JPG P1000904.JPG

They don't look like much in summer, but the fall colours are something spectacular.

rdhusvin-3_122629249_134127461.jpg

My last day of full time office work - hurray! :) My shoulder injury has heeled at last (well the tear has. It's still very fragile & sore) & I can commence the long slow rehabilitation process back to fitness on the tree team. It's going to be a phased return, but I feel like I have turned the corner at last. 4 months of solid office work has given me an appreciation of how hard & frustrating it is keeping the general public happy, how much work it take to keep a tree team in the public sector running & how much I miss my work on the tools. My goal is now to return to fitness by christmas

My last day of full time office work - hurray! :) My shoulder injury has heeled at last (well the tear has. It's still very fragile & sore) & I can commence the long slow rehabilitation process back to fitness on the tree team. It's going to be a phased return, but I feel like I have turned the corner at last. 4 months of solid office work has given me an appreciation of how hard & frustrating it is keeping the general public happy, how much work it take to keep a tree team in the public sector running & how much I miss my work on the tools. My goal is now to return to fitness by christmas

Stop all that furious wanking and you'll be ready to return in a month

It is my wanking shoulder. So, when I've had my first pain free wank you WILL be the first one to know :P

Too funny, Pete! Glad to hear you're on the mend and hopefully you're back up to full strength soon.

And you too, Rajan. I hope your back isn't too bad. Back injuries are the worst because they are the hardest to diagnose and the most likely to be ignored.

Took down a previously topped Maple spar with a little bit of brush attached this morning. Freaking thing had concrete in a few spots, figures I'd hit it. Wet and pissed of sharpening in the rain. It was a strange tree, partially taken down off a 16' orchard ladder, and a bit of clever climbing.

After that a small Spruce take down, and a small Jap Maple at another place. Took longer to drive than to do those jobs. Favors really, I do to many of those. Hopefully someday it'll come back when I'm old and decrepit.

No, I think it is just musculature and not nerve involved the real pisser is that I was bending over to pick up a glove.
The up side is my neighbor is a ciropractor (sp) and cute.

Crap day today. My man cut his finger, with the saw. A trip to the ER and five stitches and he still came back and dragged brush one handed to finish the day out. No damage to the tendon, he was real lucky. I had a job scheduled for Saturday. I re-scheduled, we both need a couple of days to re-charge. His plan with the pointer finger of his right hand was to popsicle stick it on both sides and wrap it up and duct tape. Good to go he says. Lol.

A reminder to everyone out there, don't get complacent they will cut more than trees if you let them.

Job was switched out from poison oak removal to weed whacking a couple of nasty slopes today on the same property. Took the DR mower off the trailer to run in a field below the house on what I could of the slope. Made one pass and started another and blew the engine. Hole in the crank case. F**K. Guess I will now have to see if the engine from the tow behind will fit or buy a new one. 5 years, almost six pretty much trouble free with regular maintenance. I guess I oil starved it. Forgot to check it this morning and then ran it pretty steep so the oil could have went to one side of the case :dontknow: Oh well... I guess I now know the limit on the engine :lol: I will start pricing knew 17-18HP Kawasaki engines JIC.
Lady scheduled about another weeks worth of work over the fall. Should help pay for a new one ;)

Sorry to hear about the engine. quiet day with school work in front of the fan again. Got a few more grades posted and found I have a 94% in the class so far.

Bus company called this afternoon. Needed a last minute driver. Turned out to be for the owner and his family going to a wedding rehearsal dinner.

Ended up having prime rib, baked potato, green beans, salad and desert.

The owner even gave me a $60.00 tip. :)

Stig, the Parthenocissus tricuspidata you show is a lovely sight but as you will know high levels of care are needed to its speedy growth.

We do get the stuff over here, probably in the same situations as shown in your pics. Its more commonly known as Boston Ivy here, is part of the grape family and is native of Eastern Asia.

Back