Anyone in a band or play an instrument?

I Don't think it was AFP. Arthur makes all the banjos for this guys rings and they sell under the rings name. Seems like it had a G or J in it?

Ben, did you read all of this thread, see my gear?

I'm really liking my Carvin bass amp. I was gonna get the Hartke 75 watt with a 12, but the three way aspect of the Carvin sold it for me.

Plus, the 200 watts (250 with an external) didn't hurt none...

I really like the Carvin. That's what my next one will be. I was going to buy the Mark Bass amp with the four 10s but they're $1,400. One guy in my group has one and they're extremely light.

I see you found my Grandfathers Clock. Told ya it was a mess.

Ben, your GC ain't all that bad. A little cleaning up and it's a winner.

I did get a chuckle out of your other vid though...slapping while playing the 4th string is pretty brave;)

I don't slap much at all. Spent a fair amount getting my old '40 King in shape to play and have it set up for straight, clean playing. With a scale on the long side for a 3/4, and steel strings, she runs a bit high on the tension. I'd have to lower the action more than I want to to play slap very often.

Thanks Fiddler. I just recorded those on my phone for fun. I would never play that in public. I have to act like a normal person on stage. I'm in the market for another bass to set up just for Bluegrass. That one is set up for RockABilly and Bluegrass and not very good for either.

Butch, looks like you have some very nice instruments there. Wish I could have a day or two in your picking room.

I know. They won't let me show out too much. If I start getting too rowdy one of them will give me the stink eye and I'll have to back off a little.

That's a good sounding fiddle. Michael Cleveland is an amazing picker. My first year at SPBGMA we heard a heck of a racket next door in the motel. We walked over and it was Michael and his group getting ready for their show. We pulled up a seat and watched for a while. It was something else to see them that close.

Not sure which fiddle you saw.

The one with the little flower on the tailpiece is a Salzar c. 1860-80...The other is a Gliga I bought from Courtney Rorrer (Grasstowne).

If it was on the little demo vid it would be the Gliga.

Mike is a cool guy and an awesome talent.

He played fiddle for us at a festival in Louisville once. Said it was his first paying gig...he was like 14 or so.

There is an old story about a guy who kept slapping the Bass when playing for Bill Monroe. He'd been told several times to not play that way. Between shows when the guy wasn't looking Bill sawed off the fretboard where it met with the neck...no more slapping:lol:

That sounds like a Monroe story. It was the Gliga. I have an old Wilhelmi fiddle. About the same age as yours supposedly. I have no way of knowing.

It actually is my group. I started it about 6 years ago. I've been the banjo player the entire time but we've had a couple of members quit and we picked up a couple more over the last year and it just worked out better with me swapping to bass. We lost a lot if speed and drive but we gained two excellent singers. So with me on the bass, I'm constantly pushing and driving the speed back up. It's talking a while though.

The Gliga is maybe 7-10 years old.

Good singers are great to have.

I could hear you pushing the tempo in the video.

I've found dragging usually occurred in units I played in on the chorus parts where the singers are paying more attention to hearing harmonies than the meter.

Yeah. Our guys tend to drop back to a certain speed on every song no matter where it starts. I don't mind speeding up a little but I hate to slow down. The other guy that was on bass would slow every song down. Which made it sound like I was speeding up on the banjo. No that I'm on bass I hold a hard steady beat and if I feel them slowing down I'll slap in between beats where the mandolin chop is to give them a loud backbeat to fall into.

Sounds like a little more time together should work the kinks out. Doesn't sound like a major problem.

Sometimes it just takes a while for things to really gel and for everyone to trust everyone else when playing.

Hard to change old habits and get with a new sound, speed, or arrangement sometimes.

Back