Anyone in a band or play an instrument?

Nope. Play stand-up. Never heard of the tapewounds until you mentioned them earlier in this thread. Glad your liking them.

Gig went Awesome! Hell of a variety of music...Bill Monroe, george jones, BB King, roger Miller, buck owens...Some swing stuff I'd never heard before...

Hello all. Ben here. Butch pointed me to this post. Looks like some good musicians here. I play about everything but have been on banjo and upright bass lately. I didn't expect to find so much music on an arborist site. Glad to be here.

am neither an arborist or a good musician.

That's why we love ya!

uWjwY.gif

Hey Fiddler. Yes sir. Mostly bluegrass anyway. I do play upright with a country group sometimes. I'm normally the banjo player but my group has had a few changes and it was best I play bass for a while. I'm not the best bass player but I have a lot of fun at it.

Nice 6 string. Those are fun to play.

Hey Fire Fighter Zero. Maybe they will let me hang around for a while too.

Cool.

I grew up with grass & country, went on to play whatever payed, then came back to my roots sorta. I set in on Bass with some bluegrass, country & swing guys from time to time, and playing guitar & fiddle with a trio we just started (only got together twice so far).

Had to sell off my banjos...wrist started hurting too much to pick. My Yates RSAT is still for sale at the store...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KSSwROS_qjI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is one of our shows from yesterday. I'm on the bass for this one. Slap break around 3:05

I started out doing Chet Atkins and Merle Travis thumb picking on guitar. Then went to banjo and bass. Been on banjo for the last 12 years with several different groups. Still have a few fiddles and mandolins but don't really play them much anymore. Got to visit with Warren Yates a couple years ago at SPBGMA. He makes some very nice banjos.

Sweet! haha gotta love the Dreadful Snakes.

i've never met Warren. I bought my Archtop prototype from Ron Stuart. There's a video of him on here some where of him picking it on Music City Roots. Out of the Four good ones I had that was my favorite.

Other 3 were
R & T JD crowe model
"28 TB 1 with a Robin smith neck
and a Hatfield

So much to choose from any more we should never get bored. I find myself picking and choosing a bit more though too.

You running a pickup on your Bass?

Sounds like a good line up of banjos. You must be pretty serious. My main one is an RB4. I have a '26 TB2 that I don't get out very often. And a few others for backup.

Yeah I have a pickup on the bass. It's a Shadow with a pre amp under the bridge. And a Rockabilly upgrade kit under the fingerboard to pick up the slap. I mix those two together with an amplified EQ that I wear.

Nice.

I've been running a little pro35 mic into a Gollihur 2x10. Gives a good sound but I find I need more volume for gigs with drums and a tele playing.

I had all the banjos due to having the money at the time and looking for the sound I wanted. Next to the Yates I actually like the old TB1 best...rim was never cut and still had the original hoop. It was not loud but had a great tone.

I haven't played out much for several years. Used to do a lot of festivals & such through the Midwest but work got in the way. I'm retired and just getting back into it really. Nothing too serious yet, just some fun with friends. I'm no great shakes as a musician, I've watched many friends and students go on to far greater success in the business than I'll ever see. I just love to play.

Thanks Butch. I like to go crazy on the bass but I have to keep it under control when I'm playing with a group. I'm not too good but I make a lot of racket. My YouTube channel is jbcardin if you want to see some more bass licks. They're a mess.

Fiddler, I just bought a Hartke amp. It's one 15 but it sounds pretty good. The aluminum cone gives it a different sound but I've just about got it set.
I've been thinking about sending my TB2 to Arthur Hatfield and have him do a conversion on it. It has a 5 string neck but it needs a little attention. A buddy just had Arthur make him a Buck Creek. It's a pretty good banjo.

Ah, yes thats a Hartke sound. I like 15's much better than the 10's but I can't abide those metal cones.

I liked my Buck Creek...it had it's own sound. Spent an entire day down there at his place picking it out from the several banjos he had there that day. Also got to play the first banjo Arthur put together for a guy who makes his own rings...Don't remember the 3 letters of the moniker though.

Arthur and his Wife are great people. He is an excellent craftsman and nice to deal with. I have a long time friend who plays and collects, and has had Arthur do probably Ten or more conversions.

Gotta warn you though, It's hard to leave there, unless you've convinced him your happy with his work or your purchase. ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think a Hartke will be my next purchase.

Fender said they would not cover the cost of repairing my last amp. I guess throwing it off the stage whilst in a drunken rage is not covered under their BS warranty.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
My favorite was a Fender Bassman from the 70's.

4 12's and I think they were original, or at least Fender factory replacements in a set.

That thing was warm with the 100 watt Bassman head.

Course that was not enough power so I ran my Ampeg 1200 watt head through that........then had to replace the speakers with Mesa Boogies.

Then it finally turned to dust.

I have liked JBL's when I have been around them Dave.

I haven't been to Arthur and Bev's house but I get to pick with him every year at SPBGMA. They're very nice folks. Always plenty of coffee for everyone . Was it an AFP tone ring? Those are supposed to be pretty good. I already have about 5 banjos and I'm afraid if I went to Arthurs I would leave with another one. There is a banjo maker named Kenneth Cardin. He makes Cardin banjos. Since thats my last name I've thought able getting one of his. He's 85 so there may not be too many more left for sale. I heard John Hartford played one. I have a few fiddles that don't get played very much either. I have great respect for you fiddlers. I can't seem to get the hang of it.

I can't imagine Fender not wanting to warranty a drunken rage accident. Lol. I bet that happens more than you think.

Back