X-Rigging Rings Tree Work Videos

Lawrence is. He actually won the New York tree climbing championship this year.

Me.... I'm old.

When I say good climber, I NEVER refer to speed of movement. I ALWAYS refer to getting the hard rigging done efficiently. Welcome though! Im Chris.

Tucker, the little bit of friction is a huge advantage. I'll explain. Also, don't take this as me confronting you, I'M NOT, your initial opinion is one that thousands of people would feel the same about. I'm really glad that you have spoken your initial thoughts on this. It needs to be talked about.

Nothing confrontational about it brother. Share what you know. Just because I wouldn't do something a certain way doesn't mean Im right or I don't have room for advancement. Dig in and share your know how.

Okay, I couldn't find any good diagrams, so I sketched up my own. These were done fast and there might be mistakes somewhere, I didn't have anyone review it first or think on it for a couple of days.
I listen to "boyscouts" that spout off numbers and perfect scenarios, but I do tree work just about every day and real world WORK is where many factors come into play and is what IS ACTUALLY REAL.

I brought these rings to this industry because they are awesome and they make rigging better, smarter, less violent.
And yes, I hope to make some money off them someday for my effort and expense in promoting them.

I would never promote something that was Bull shit stupid and a waste.

I use them and promote them because they are an advancement to our industry; I love tree work.

attempting to imbed my first picture files...

X-rings have made my job less stressfull. I usually "work alone", and climb at least once a week, and have the HO working the ropes. It's nice to "remove" some of the job of a good ground worker, (which I don't have anyway) by redirecting running rigging ropes away from my body and climb lines when rigging a wide spread canopy.

Even after I was using the rings for years..... when it came to really big wood (that in all honesty, I still don't do real often) ; I resorted back to the blocks. because that was what I was use to.....
I would think to myself, {okay, this is REAL serious weight, I don't know how many wraps on the LD if I use rings, I don't know how the rings will act on huge weight, I don't know if the groundman will get it right, so I'm going back to blocks.}
I can't believe this next picture was from 2013. It feels like it was years ago. Can't believe I was using blocks on big negative rigging only about a year ago.
I'll never use blocks on negative rigging again; knowing what I know now. Experiencing what I have experienced. So many years of block use..... when I could have been doing it easier.

IMG_9685 small.jpg

Saddened me recently to notice the wear on this one. Gritty rope is no friend to aluminum.

image.jpg

X-rings have made my job less stressfull. I usually "work alone", and climb at least once a week, and have the HO working the ropes. It's nice to "remove" some of the job of a good ground worker, (which I don't have anyway) by redirecting running rigging ropes away from my body and climb lines when rigging a wide spread canopy.
a huge positive of using rings is the friction in your case. Light to medium size limbs can be slowly lowered without a basal LD for friction. Light limbs in your case can be lowered by the climber himself. medium sized limbs can be lowered by a groundperson without a basal Lowering device AT ALL.

PELORUS,
Gritty ropes is no friend of ANYTHING that has friction.
I never had a ring in 3 years show wear like that.
I had TWO people notifiy me of similar wear like yours.
One was a rainy day with sand imbedded in the rope in Florida.
The other one was muddy ropes.

Then about a month ago I myself did tree removals in absolute downpouring rain. Rigging ropes were in total mud. Stepped on by groundmen and just covered with mud. We were lowering big stuff.

A fairly new sling was being used with two beast rings.

both rings got a shiny polished aluminum mark, the size of my thumbnail.

my spider jack also wore down it's clutch that day and needed replaced a job later.

gritty ropes are not good for anything with friction. If you had to work in mud or sand covered ropes, I say go back to the blocks with no friction. Lesson learned for me too.

I'm done for tonight. Thank you for the nice welcome, I hope it made some sense in how I tried to explain. I'm a good forum person, because I get sucked in and have a hard time getting away from it.

Ring in photo has been in service for quite a while. It has paid it's way many times over. So have it's siblings.
Prior to using rings I would commonly use a false crotch with a steel locking biner to lower stuff. Lousy bend radius, but definitely no issues with (carabiner) wear!

X-man...welcome to the House! Thanks for the crane explanation.

I have an X-ring (thanks Nick Bonner!!) and have never used it...I will now that I have seen how you do it and read your fervor about how well they can work. Thanks for the input tonight...don't wear yourself out!!

Awesome video guys, and welcome to the forum. In my opinion the comparison of X-rings to a Block is SRT to DRT, or a crescent wrench to a socket. They are tools with different specialties that can work together to make the job MUCH better. I have enjoyed having my X-rings for the last year. I highly recommend the blue triple ring device. It is quicker than a block and puts the right friction on a medium sized branch that you may not need a lowering device. I have to say my favorite part about the X-rings is using enough of them in your rigging plan when a large branch is cut and drops there is almost no movement with in tree. Thanks for the great products!

yeah Bix, I'm finally on here, can you believe it. Bixler has been asking me for months to join; Bixler is a friend and good hearted person.
Thanks Gary, BigTwig and others. I thought it was going to be a little different than this. Glad to see a welcome. BigTwig, my tri-ring sling is on my saddle quite often because I might use it the most, love that sling.
When you said, "almost no movement in the tree" I'm thinking EXACTLY. And it's due to you not magnifiying the force on the rigging point so much, because you are putting some friction at the rigging point where it should be.
Do some redirects with other rings on a spreading tree too and you are rigging very smart!

When I put out a video on youtube, once it gets to be a few months old, I no longer like it usually...... This one is okay, shows us using the rings these past two years. Going to make part 2 much better I think:

I might withdraw from looking at this forum for a few days, I really need to be doing some other things, no offense taken I hope.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/UjQKaanhj8c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BOTS !

think about this..... when you install a block in the tree, where is the end of the rope? Is it right there with you?
Also, I'm in no way trying to be rude. Your concern is one that MANY have with the rings, so I'm so glad you brought it up.
Once people use them, if they had that concern, it goes away.

David, welcome to the house! glad you made it over ;) great bunch of people here

The Xrings are great, Ive seen Bixler use em and Lawrence Shults (when he was out this way) and they definatlely have there place.

I do mostly knotless rigging with a hand spliced rigging loop, steel binner, 1/2 stable braid with Omni block 1.5...this is my #1 go to "small rig set-up", so fast to install, flip binner around branch connect to rope and stand clear. Honestly my ground man can not keep up with me, by the time he un-clips from branch, Ive already got rope on next branch and waiting on him. I can un-clip out of block and natural crotch in the blink of an eye if need be.

Ok, now for bigger stuff...

I can see the friction thing be good at times and can see the advantage of it, and then theres times where block works fine too....the SRT, DRT was a good example

Would I use Xrings...Yes, do I use a block, Yes, both Great tools :thumbup:

Back