Working in wind

No kidding on the movement of larger trees. It's an experience like no other. I don't really care to work out of the bucket on real windy days. Makes me feel like I'm falling, catching the movement out of my perphial vision. Anyone else have that feeling??

On a super windy day I'd almost rather be in the tree for that exact reason (mostly I'd rather be stumpgrinding or something not so vertical). Sux when you have to either hold the tree to cut it, or make sure you get the back cut in the next time it sways your way :|:

Most of the time I don't call it because of fear of the tree failing but when your tie in tries to pull you off the limb your on you can't be productive so why bother

what gets me with the wind is when i am at an angle to my TIP and standing on a branch or whatnot and the wind will cause that TIP to sway away form you which wants to pull you forward and off of the branch you are standing on, leaving you vulnerable to a swing or whatnot. Definitely gets your heart going when you arent ready for it and everything tightens up...

... back when a rookie ... the slightest wind ended climbing that day, now I'm much more comfortable, ten years of snowmaking taught me alot about wind ... variable winds can slow the work but it still can be done, consistent wind in one direction can be used to advantage sometimes

Falling urban trees in the wind can be very unpredictable.
But with a taunt anchor rope attached 90 degree to the lay, makes things alot more predictable:D
SDC12364.JPG

Got winded out today. Don't play in an old-ish growth forest with root disease in 30 MPH winds. The Park system has nice trees! I feel lucky. Still got paid, too. Just scoped out some nasties for tomorrow.

I am getting sick of the wind this spring! It happened again today. We had to remove 4 woodlot ash and one cherry. One ash that I had to climb was about 8-9" at the base and i had to go up about 40ft to top the thing out. Wind was 25mph with gusts above 30. Not the windiest but 40 up and spiking into 4" top...... add to the equation that I go about 240lbs right now. What a day.

Brings this image to mind...
elephant.jpg

Anyone else working in eastern PA today? the wind was ridiculous. they said 45-50 on the radio but I don't think it was that high. still it made it tough to work. I would drop a stick out of a tree and it would land 25 yards away. I don't mind the wind but if its gonna slow everything down and add risk I don't see the point. Not that it stops my work from sending us out. the rain don't seem to shut things down either. any one else work in th rain?

I sympathize to that feeling. Not to mention, trees in a wooded setting don't have the roots that most yard trees have. That makes me think sometimes. One of my treework mentors had a tree uproot and go over with him in it while he was at about 40 feet.

I'm in eastern PA, but took the day off to help a loved one prepare for heart surgery tomorrow. I kept an eye on the business phone today. I started wondering if id hear about a little wind damage.

I can only imagine that a lot of people have climbed trees and done the work, then returned home without a second thought, not realizing how close they were to having the tree they were in earlier, do something very undesirable.

Back