Wobbly Gaffs

You really should get a new set. If you really want to keep the old ones, maybe you could get a shop to put in heli coils.

Butch, do you know of a machine shop in your area? It would be an easy job to fill any worn spots with metal. Sort of like a rose bud weld, just fill in any worn areas as needed on the shank.

If they are countersunk flat head screws you could be bottoming out the screws . The fix would be to install some special countersunk lock washers .

Geeze this stuff is a hard as trying to troubleshoot a saw at long range when you can't see it .

Get a new set. Some manufacturers recommend a new set of shanks after the 2nd replacement of the original gaffs. My Kleins are on the 5th set of gaffs and the shanks still look good to me.

Sorry Burnham, thats Macgyver, an 80's TV guy that fixed many a gadget with gum and a paper clip. :D

Ha, I used to love that show. A sheet of plywood, some baling wire and an old lawn mower... and in five minutes he'd build a helicopter! :lol:

Heck, they're only 7 or 8 years old.

Butch, I know that doesn't sound like a long time but you are a big, strong guy and use your spurs alot. Probably more than most.

I used a set of Bashlin for years and I loved them for their lightness. But you have to remember, aluminum is not as strong as steel. And they are lighter than steel so you can pretty well bet they are not as strong as a standard steel-shanked spur. I don't remember the gaffs ever loosening in mine but I have heard of Bashlins breaking.

I have no doubt you could fix the wiggle but I would be concerned that they are showing signs of stress/fatigue and would be more inclined to replace them with a set of BuckLite Titaniums. I know they are on my wish list when my Buck heavies wear out.

Dave

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
So is this supposed to be normal wear for aluminum? Everybody else eventually winds up with reamed out shanks, also?

Have not got the hours on mine you have on yours Boss, but it would make sense as it is hard steel in aluminum.. Laws of friction say they will eventually wear out :tongue8:

Hey they hold me up when I could fall.. Make me money. We are pretty tight when we are together.. I would say it's been a close (intimate) and wonderful relationship.:lol::lol::lol::lol::D
I am pretty attached to my rope and saddle tooo... but that's a lil more personal:lick:

FWIW, I have not found too much of a weight difference between my T2s & the regular steel spurs I have. Once you have the pads on and straps, the diff. is not too great

Frans, you could make the same observation about the aluminum climbers.

True. When I got the T2s I thought they would be remarkably light, sorta like the CFs.
With the added cost of the titanium it seemed hardly worth it. Good spurs tho.

I think the biggest plus for the T2 is that they have the light weight of alum without the bulk. They are the size and strength of the steel climbers while being slightly lighter than alum. I don't think the bolt holes wallowing out would be an issue either.

RDog, I don't think the screws are the problem, it's the holes that the gaffs themselves mount into. I should have been more clear...epoxy the fitted slot/hole that the gaff seats into. I think doing so would stop the wobble, but would set the gaffs permanently as well.

Look at the Bashlin replaceable gaffs....the upside-down L shaped part on the back of gaff mates into a corresponding milled slot in the shank...that's probably where the looseness is, I'm thinking.

http://www.wesspur.com/spurs/replacement_spur_gaffs.html

Correct.....

My B'hams' don't even use a screw...just a pin...and they are loose as well... It doesn't bother me, but I'd prefer them to be tight...and your idea sounds like the ticket

If your gaffs are loose, you are about to have a major problem. When they get loose like that, the problems gets worse every time you kick them in, and it eventually causes the screws to break. The screws just aren't designed to handle the repeated hammering. When the screws break, the gaff comes off and you chessgrate down the trunk.

Back