Wobbly Gaffs

Good gawd, you guys till on about this? I've had loose screws or loose gaffs for who knows how many years....never had any issue at all with it.....

loose screws could be locktited in.....

But my B'hams, which are all steel, and have no screw, just a pin to hold them in, are also loose. This has to be from wear on the mating surfaces of the shank and gaff.

Yep, Sean , many of us do have a screw loose.....not I said, "Us"

My old Bashlins are tight as a mouses ear .Of course they are one piece and I haven't used them in 20 years and doubt I ever do again .Moot point .:lol:

Hey Roger - FYI, this is one of the reasons Buckingham no longer makes the pin-style gaffs that you (and I) have. They tend to get loose and then break off. Not to mention they are almost impossible to replace.

I just talked to a guy last week who had a gaff break off while climbing. There was no real danger because he had his other gaff to stand on, but there was no going up or down after that, so he was stuck. His had been loose for about 2 weeks he said.

I can vouch for that. Bought some replacements for mine, got one pin out myself. After days of PB Blaster, the other one still didn't budge. Brought it to my buddies at Vermeer, they broke 2 punches. Ended up sending it to Buck, they got it out.

Yup...I didn't buy those gaffs, but inherited them from someone....don't much like 'em...

loaned my Klein's to Eli, maybe someday, he'll bring 'em back....

In a pair of Brooks the tapered pin broke which was presided months before by the bolt coming loose on the far end, which ultimately left a climber standing on one spur on the side of a big red about 60 up. We all got a big laugh out of it, but it could have been much worse. Say, running a saw.

I had the ankle strap bolt break on a set of Brooks and it left me in pretty much the same predicament.

Just goes to show that it does happen.

Back