Wildlife reintroduction in PNW , Grizzly Bear ... really ?

Altissimus

TreeHouser
sounds like fifty years of research and the decision is made , controversial for sure ... (probably good people on both sides). Even Indian Tribes disagree , not sure how I'd logging in the Cascades if the territory belongs to Grizzlies. PS , my perspective
here is the Black Bear population is way too high and they've gone from relative rarity to pest , vermins ...

There's always controversy around any wildlife introduction, much more so when the critter in question is a carnivore.

Not to far from me, is the Mexican Grey Wolf Reintroduction Area. Ranchers in the area are paid full market value for any livestock killed by wolves, or even possible wolf kills. While it helps keep the ranchers from screaming, it doesn't keep them silent. The wolves are quite wary of humans, so there hasn't been any conflict there, but lots of pets and other critters in the area go missing. Plenty of trail camera photos of the pack growing steadily over the years.

Bears are a much bigger issue, in my experience, and the problem gets bigger as the bear gets bigger, and grizzlies are BIG. While our wolves haven't munched anyone yet, it probably won't be long before someone with skittle colored hair will get themselves mauled.

Question.
I have read/seen that grizzlies prey on the black bears.
Is this in the conversation at all? Bearing in mind that black bear have become too numerous.

Black bear are on the rise in Texas. I love the idea.

France has re-introduced wolves as well.

I love that stuff. What I have is the re-introduction of species like the desert big horn sheep. They have done that in Texas. Thing is the subspecies from Texas is extinct so we have small populations of those from Arizona. Hunters get to manage their numbers but the tag is well over 6 digits. The state kills hundreds of cougars every year to protect these sheep. At what point are they raising the dumbest sheep ever? If the mountain lions will wipe them out then, bye bye. I have no love for re-introduction for game purposes. Some animals went extinct because they simply weren't that successful to begin with.

I've read your posts for years Stig, and I respect you and what you do.

On this subject I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

I'll say it then. PHUCK THE BEARS my ancestors slayed the monsters so that we might sleep well within our fragile homes. Don't go setting said monsters loose in my backyard and expect me to be OK with it.

Thank gods that here in America it's possible to just shoot them and deal with the consequences later.

Save the trees, wipe your ass with an owl.

Thing is Gypo, I simply don't like people much.
Much prefer animals.
I live in a country with no large predators, so the deer population is sky high and stupid city folks can blunder around in the woods with no consequences.

Last edited:
You guys have no idea... period . Been living with Brown bears for over 37 years. Most of you haven't even ever seen one, so why do you even think you have an opinion on the matter?
I've seen one up close and angry. That's why I have an opinion. No I don't live with them. I also don't live with alligators or sharks. How many here have been face to face with a Western Diamondback Rattlesnake?

A monster is a monster, some live under the bed, some only in your head, but there's still plenty enough to make you dead.

Putting any dangerous animal in close proximity to ignorant urbanites is going to result in tragedy. Period.

I've seen dozens. Spent a season cutting in Hoonah.
Hoonah has a lot. So what's the deal? We take risks in life...if you're a timber faller you take considerably more risk every day you go to work than you will ever take from a bear.
And a season isn't much to stand on... around here.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Have family in Seward , I asked if the well dressed Alaskan has a gun , he laughed and said its not neccessary in town but definitely at the town dump

One season in se alaska isn't much, I admit. Twenty-two years cutting, and counting, down here in Oregon.

I'm not worried about bears for my own safety. I'm worried what they will do to local livestock and wildlife. I put them in the same category as wolves, and if you're a hunter or rancher down here you know what they've done.

I remember a guy by the name of Timothy Treadwell who thought bears were cute and friendly. It didn't end well for him. Personally I think the reintroduction of large predators is a bad idea. One can argue the benefit to nature but humans are a dumb species and will run into brown bears and loose the argument. Livestock loss is a matter of financial loss, food is food regardless of what eats it.

I spent 1969 and 1970 in Kodiak, land of the really big bears. My (then) husband was in the Navy and we lived off base about 3 miles from town. He was on duty consecutive 4 day shifts a week so I was home alone with an infant. Woke up one night to a Kodiak bear sniffing around the front door. I've never been so scared or so mad about not having a phone. Luckily my neighbors up the road were awakened by the bear and knew I was home alone and came with guns and chased it away. They took me and baby to the base, where the very nice duty officer decided we could no longer live safely off base and issued us emergency base housing.
Those Kodiak bears are soooo big! What a relief it was to live within the safety of the base.

Back