The Tree House loves TreeStuff!

Why shouldn't I buy this truck?

SkwerI

Treehouser
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I paid $9K for the truck and have spent another $5K. A similar diesel truck would cost $25K and still need repairs (suspension, lights, hitch, dump bed, etc). If the gas truck gets 8mpg and the same size diesel gets 10mpg, how many years and miles do I drive before making up the $10K difference in price?

Tree09

Treehouser
For you, no. You did good on this. But all things being equal, diesel is the winner hands down.

Grnjp

Treehouser
I paid $9K for the truck and have spent another $5K. A similar diesel truck would cost $25K and still need repairs (suspension, lights, hitch, dump bed, etc). If the gas truck gets 8mpg and the same size diesel gets 10mpg, how many years and miles do I drive before making up the $10K difference in price?
You do have to add the cost of fuel, oil. Like I said if you're running heavy everyday then yup diesel makes sense. If you do this once a week. Well.

Grnjp

Treehouser
You do have to add the cost of fuel, oil. Like I said if you're running heavy everyday then yup diesel makes sense. If you do this once a week. Well.
Am not saying you are wrong for your situation. But I hear you need a diesel for situations where they make absolutely no financial sense.

Dave Shepard

Square peg, round world.
You would only come out ahead when you resold the truck as the diesel would not depreciate as fast as the gas. The truck would obviously have to be viable at that point.
I've been very impressed with newer gas trucks. A friend has a 2016 F250 gas 6 speed. 9/10 mpg no matter what you're doing. Hauls a 7 ton deckover safely. Never had a turbo go bad, injector go bad, egr/exhaust go bad, or blow both head gaskets at the same time.

Grnjp

Treehouser
The 6-8mpg would scare the bejesus out of me.

That is terrible mpg.
It really does depend on the range of travel you do. Cost of the truck maintenance and otherwise. You do 90 percent of your work within 20 miles should not be difficult to work your cost into the bid.

The Tree House Loves TreeStuff!