Why shouldn't I buy this truck?

How hard was it to pull with the cab intact, Brian? I was told pulling the cab was almost a necessity.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
My mechanic stopped by today and answered several questions for me. He said the cams were fine but the rockers tend to have the needle bearings freeze up and stop turning. He said the valves looked fine. He also told me about a little Allen head screw in the head next to the phaser and said there's a screen in there that can get clogged and block oil flow to the head. Clean it spotless and replace it. He recommended buying the Ford Racing lifter and rocker set M-6529-3V. Summit has it for $266 plus tax. I can remove the cam, replace all the rockers and lifters, and then replace the cam by gently tightening the bolts and working the cam down on the rockers. No need to fight them.

I really feel much better after getting some expert advice. Alan has been wrenching on Fords for 35 years and he is extremely talented. I'm happy to be able to call him my friend.

He also has an engine hoist I can borrow to put the engine back in the truck. Hopefully next weekend.

If you need to get out of summer heat, you could be a travelling tree-service mechanic.

How much preventative maintenance doesn't get done at companies?
I'm so overdue.

My neighbor dug a mechanic's pit in a concrete floor. Don't know if you could do that. Seems super handy, so far.

fwiw, speaking of a mechanic's pit, I did my car oil at valvoline quick oil change for the first time ever, while I was waiting in line I noticed the mechanics trenches in the car bays, I was like OK, but when I got closer I saw they actually have an entire unobstructed underground room beneath the 4 bays where the mechanics roam and they reach up thru the trench opening to get at the engines. Nice set up.

Been trying to coordinate with my mechanic to borrow his engine hoist so I can put my engine back in this weekend (assuming all my parts get here by Friday). Found a 2 ton engine hoist on Craigslist for $100 and at that price it isn't worth bothering my friend over a tool he uses to make his living. I can resell it and recoup my money next week.

I pulled my last one with the forks on my Kubota using a thingy my nephew welded up for me. A length of 2”x2” tubing welded across two pieces of 2”x6” tubing with caps on them. Slide your forks to about 10” apart, slap the thingy on and you’re ready to lift!

The hardest part of installing the motor will be lining up and mating it with the transmission. I picked up an engine leveler to adjust the angle of the engine as it is hanging from the hoist. I will likely resell it as a package deal with the engine hoist next week (hopefully for a few bucks more than I paid).

Amazon- engine leveler

Got held up waiting on a head gasket. UPS lost it in Atlanta. Rather than waiting for a refund and replacement after confirming it is actually lost, I went ahead and ordered another head gasket which will be here Sunday. Currently have one head installed and new lifters/rockers on both heads.

The hardest part of installing the motor will be lining up and mating it with the transmission. I picked up an engine leveler to adjust the angle of the engine as it is hanging from the hoist. I will likely resell it as a package deal with the engine hoist next week (hopefully for a few bucks more than I paid).

Amazon- engine leveler

Reminds me of the time we pulled our 6cyl Perkins diesel on the boat while it was still in the water, using three halyards, 4 purchase block and tackle, the deck winch, couple of 2x4s to block it up inside the galley, replace the clutch, then reset it and feeler guages to line it up with the shaft. Just the two of us, while floating at anchor in Greece.

We had towed the boat, 26 tons of schooner with the 12'dinghy and a 6hp, when we lost forward gear and no wind. Towed it for hours then finally the wind came up and we could sail to harbour, rounded up dropped sail, dropped anchor. One shot.
It took two days for Bob to make measurements, find someone to help us (mostly for translation ) take a ferry to Athens to buy a part, then a couple days to put it in and reset everything. Mmmhmmm we bad!! LOL those were the days 😳😊

Sorry for the derail Brian, back to you mate...

It's all good, Fiona. Cool story! :thumbup:

Since I've been stuck waiting on a head gasket for the last 4 days, I figured I'd take a couple pictures to show my progress. I never remember to take pictures while I'm working so this might help make up for that. I have one head installed. Once the other head is installed, I can put the other timing chai on. Because of height limitations, I'll have to put the engine back in the truck before I can install the intake manifold. Then the peripherals such as the alternator, AC compressor, power steering pump, radiator and fan, etc.

Because the AC compressor is mounted on the bottom of the engine and difficult to access, and because the air conditioning doesn't work, I'm preemptively replacing it with a new one. It was only $136 which is less than the labor cost to replace it later. The system was still holding a charge when I unhooked the freon lines so hopefully it won't take much to get it working again.

Here's a couple pics. New lifters and rockers under both cams. The last one is my work bench and every item on and under the bench came from this engine. Hopefully I can remember where all the pieces go.

IMG_0334.JPG
IMG_0338.JPG IMG_0336.JPG IMG_0337.JPG

Last edited:
That job makes my replacing the transmission pump in a Ford Escape look like child's play. Cast iron pump had rotted right through and was spraying oil out under pressure. They put a plastic shield right up to it to catch salt and dirt. Doh. No busted knuckles but did manage to take skin off finger tip on index finger. That's a new one.

Head gasket showed up at 1:30 just after I finished my lunch. I took it out to the garage and 2 hours later my engine is ready to go back in the truck. There is still a ton of work to do but I did everything I could on the engine without having to lean over the radiator to reach it.

IMG_0339.JPG

Back