Why shouldn't I buy this truck?

Funny how time flies.
When I visited you, he was just a wee kid.
Pity that we never got to repeat that visit.
And the tree we climbed, has fallen apart.................oh well!

Actually, I haven't given up on making it your way again......we'll see how it plays on.
Got some fine memories from last time.
Thought about it last week, apprentice had some trouble setting a line by hand, and I told him of my best shot ever :lol:

Last edited:
Yes, Hide Those Extra Bolts !!!

My sister bought a tired ‘68 Toyota Corolla in 1976 that was misfiring and trailing a cloud of blue smoke.
I offered to rebuild it. Problem was I had a few small bolts left over, and made the mistake of not hiding them. She never trusted it after that even though it ran great. She sold it to a neighbor cheap and he just laughed and waved every time he drove past for years after.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes, Hide Those Extra Bolts !!!

My sister bought a tired ‘68 Toyota Corolla in 1976 that was misfiring and trailing a cloud of blue smoke.
I offered to rebuild it. Problem was I had a few small bolts left over, and made the mistake of not hiding them. She never trusted it after that even though it ran great. She sold it to a neighbor cheap and he just laughed and waved every time he drove past for years after.
Just tell her those bolts were replaced with new ones that came with the new parts.

All my parts are arriving this week. Today I began the tear down on the engine. Very close to having the timing chain cover off but need to move the AC compressor and power steering pump first. I just realized that I need to unbolt and raise the engine and drop the oil pan to change the oil pump, and at that point I would be 20 minutes from just removing the engine. I'm beginning to feel overwhelmed so the stock oil pump may remain where it is and the new one may be returned. IMG_0297.JPG

Worked yesterday and didn't touch the truck. Woke up early today and started prepping before daybreak. Was working on it at first light. Got the old timing chains off and the new gears and chains on by 9:30. Had a heck of a time keeping the chains on the correct sprocket tooth while installing the guides. Had to keep crawling under the truck with a flashlight to make sure the colored link lined up with the mark on the sprocket. Chains jumped about 5 times before I finally got them secured.

And one of the old chain guides broke. Came out in pieces when I took the cover off. I sure hope there's no further engine damage. Will find out once I get it together.

Oh, checked my phone at 9:30 and one of my guys was calling me to come work. Hauled ass and did 3 crane removals. Back to the engine tomorrow.

So Brian, I'm curious, with such low milage on this engine, why are so many bits no good? Did it sit too long?
Or are you getting ahead of potential future issues by replacing them now.

Oh, it's got 144,000 miles on it. This series of motors had a couple known weaknesses and I'm just trying to make sure it's solid. The truck started life with a roofing company (I can barely make out the lettering on the door) and the second owner let it sit for 6 years baking in the south Florida sun. Since I don't have any maintenance records I have to assume very little has been done other than oil changes and fixing it when it quit. So I'm trying to cover 10 years of maintenance all at once.

My topside creeper came yesterday so I put it together. Unfortunately it started raining about the time I got home and it's still raining now at 5:30am. IMG_0298.JPG

You are a tree man that knows ropes and knots. I bet there's trees around you and you could probably string up a nice big tarp and have a good place to work rain or not. I've done that several times over the years keep the project moving along. Good luck.

I wasn't expecting to, but I got the truck running today. After bumping it over a dozen times to prime the oil fed chain tensioners, I fired it up and it ran great. For about 5 minutes. It's missing on one cylinder but I'm sure it's just a loose connection on a coil or something. Done for the day, will address it tomorrow.

Sorry for not taking more pictures. Cory will be disappointed, but when I'm working my mind doesn't think to stop and take pictures.

Ah ok, must have mixed up with another truck you were looking at with lower mileage!
Still impressed with how many housers are great mechanics

I still remember that very cool thread you did ages ago about restoring (I believe) a Mustang

Sorry for not taking more pictures. Cory will be disappointed, but when I'm working my mind doesn't think to stop and take pictures.

That's how I am on tree jobs. I'll roll up and think about taking before and after pics, then I start unloading stuff and get right to work and never think about the pics until the job is done.

Well the truck just about has me beat. I had everything together except for one vacuum line that plugs in to the very back of the intake manifold where it sits on the block. There is no easy way to reach it without removing the intake manifold. So that's what I did, except I couldn't get it out. Not enough space between the engine and the truck body to get it out. My Mustang was a piece of cake compared to this!

So I took my camera and shot a bunch of pictures (blind) behind the engine and intake manifold. Finally spotted the nipple where the vacuum line went, and about 20 minutes later I finally managed to get it on. An hour later I had everything buttoned up, double checked all my vacuum lines and wire connectors. fired it up and it did the exact same as yesterday. Ran fine for 3 minutes then died, codes P2195 and P2197. Google says oxygen sensors in the exhaust, so later I will crawl under and make sure I didn't pinch any wires when reinstalling the intake manifold. But right now I'm beat.

You are already light years beyond a lot of us in getting this far. Drink a cold sweet tea, chill awhile and I bet you will whip it.

I'm with Gary...you'll beat the bastid soon enough. R&R for a bit, think it through, go at it fresh tomorrow.

Back