Where old ropes go to die.

I tried ProMaster, but found it so soft it wouldn’t hold up. I still use Treemaster for R&R friction savers and lanyards.

I feel like dragging manila down the road was a trick Butch mentioned, too.

I have a old, unused hank given to me by a customer.

Goldline!! My first serious use of rope was with Goldline. As a 16 year old I went thru a week long mountaineering course taught by Army Rangers at My. Yonah in N. GA. They ran it the way they did with Rangers...tough course. I learned bowline, square knot, double butterfly, half-hitch, Ranger carry method with a "sling rope" (each of us victims had a 9-12 foot rope we kept with us at all times) and use Army steel non-locking biners. We used double rope rappels, Swiss seat we had to tie..."you tied it, you ride it", did pushups whenever we f'd up and always did them wherever you were. And feet had to be higher than the head. I remember doing them on a 12 inch ledge about 50 feet up..."give me 10 and one for the Ranger in the Sky". From them I learned to NEVER step on a rope, never smoke around rope...treat a rope nice, it's your life. They told us Goldline had a 33% stretch factor! It was great for rappelling...we got very good at crazy running, jumping rappels. It was awful for an aid climb...you would climb about 2 minutes just to get the slack out to get off the ground.

Then I got into treework later and folks walked on ropes, ran them thru tree crotches, did crazy shat with ropes. Took me a long time to re-wire my brain.

Goldline was awesome to a young me...I still have a few hanks from the 70's...the longest is now super-soft...used to be uber stiff. And the Army version was Greenline (they dyed Goldline to be green). Good memories for me of Goldline.

Last edited:
You got me tripping down memory lane now....I went thru the picts from the survival program...Operation Upstream. I was a victim in summer of 1969...later in the 70's I was a counselor/teacher. Most of these picts are probably early to mid 70's. All have a common thread in them.... :D

Attachments

• Op Upstr 003 resized.jpg
    456.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Op Upstr 005 resized.jpg
    Op Upstr 005 resized.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 18
  • Op Upstr 014 resized.jpg
    Op Upstr 014 resized.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 18
  • Op Upstr 018 resized.jpg
    Op Upstr 018 resized.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 17
  • Op Upstr 026 resized.jpg
    Op Upstr 026 resized.jpg
    290.8 KB · Views: 17
  • Op Upstr 031 resized.jpg
    Op Upstr 031 resized.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 17
  • Op Upstr 036 resized.jpg
    Op Upstr 036 resized.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 17
  • Op Upstr 055 resized.jpg
    Op Upstr 055 resized.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 18
  • Op Upstr 066 resized.jpg
    Op Upstr 066 resized.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 20
  • Op Upstr 069 resized.jpg
    Op Upstr 069 resized.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 20
more...

Attachments

• Op Upstr 071 resized.jpg
    Op Upstr 071 resized.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Op Upstr 075 resized.jpg
    Op Upstr 075 resized.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 11
  • Op Upstr 076 resized.jpg
    Op Upstr 076 resized.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 11
  • Op Upstr 080 resized.jpg
    Op Upstr 080 resized.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Op Upstr 078 resized.jpg
    Op Upstr 078 resized.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Op Upstr 092 resized.jpg
    Op Upstr 092 resized.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 12
  • Op Upstr 094 resized.jpg
    Op Upstr 094 resized.jpg
    388.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Op Upstr 113 resized.jpg
    Op Upstr 113 resized.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 13
  • Op Upstr 115 resized.jpg
    Op Upstr 115 resized.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 12
  • Op Upstr 129 resized.jpg
    Op Upstr 129 resized.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 11
Great pics! You think those military helmets added safety in a climbing scenario? Seems like they'd have a chance of increasing injury.

They helped...greatest danger for the head was people dropping stuff (we ate C-rations all summer...kids had pockets full of cans of p-butter, jelly, crackers, from the c-rats)...or kicking stuff loose and not yelling, "rock!!" when they did...or dropping biners when doing party climbs. The helmets (they were liners) were better than nothing. Real climbing helmets probably didn't even exist then.

My pleasure to share...these kids were changing their lives during the month we had them...a reunion of some of us is in the works now.

For some reason this picture didn't show -- they (we) climbed with a round the waist bowline on the climbing line. She has a "safety line" over her shoulder -- a round the waist bowline on her and and end of the line bowline to hold her biner. When she reached the belayer 50-80 feet up, she would take the end of her safety line off and clip the biner into the steel cable that the Army had installed across the face of the cliffs...there were several safety cables that one could use to access much of the 300-400 foot exposures on the mountain. The climber would become the belayer for the next person. The belayer that was relieved would use the cables to proceed to the rappel point. Instructors always hooked the peeps into the double rope rappel system. The biners were non-locking and hooking up wrong made it possible to have the rope escape from the biner. And that was bad stuff. They practiced running rappels, bounding rappels, free fall rappels. Some of our folks were often considered kind of mad dog type folks...not slow, safe, gingerly rappels but often hell for leather, get it, this shit is fun rappels (after a lot of learning rappels...we raised hell if we thought they were too brazen too quickly). We usually had some outsiders being disapproving of the derring-do of our folks...I think they call them "Karen" today???

Op Upstr 003.jpg

You are right about the melting. I had
forgotten that. When we had some early edition aluminum carabiners that were colored red or blue and you made a fast rappel you had to get off the rope in a hurry. Otherwise you left a melted colored spot on the rope... The color of the carabiner.

You are right about the melting. I had
forgotten that. When we had some early edition aluminum carabiners that were colored red or blue and you made a fast rappel you had to get off the rope in a hurry. Otherwise you left a melted colored spot on the rope... The color of the carabiner.

Something both Burnham and Beranek warned me about, when I first went to climb big trees.
Practice getting the figure 8 out of the rope fast after that long rappell down, or it will melt the rope.
After feeling the heat, I've had this dream of using a steel figure 8 and immediately upon coming down really fast, dipping it in a tea cup of water and adding a teabag.
Redwood tea :)

I remember being able to splice your rope back together. As well as always being reminded that you once cut it as your prusic always jambed on the splice.

Looks like everyone was giving it a real go in those pictures Gary! Proper high climbing pitches too

They were a game group...young, trusting, not smart enough to know we were sometimes in over our head. One summer we had 3 of us handling 52 on the side of that rockface. Lots of yelling, OCD and "STFU and do what we say" for a while. We raised hobb with the Admins of the program after that and let them know it was lucky somebody didn't die that day.

Back