When one hungup tree turns into...

Camel bone was a common substitute for ivory.

I've turned a bit of deer and elk antler. stinks just as bad.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If you find one with sufficient heartwood, shave the sapwood off and drill a hole through the middle, lenghtwise.

Otherwise it'll split and crack badly as it dries. Cutting a hole through it, allows it to loose diameter as it shrinks, otherwise the tangential shrinkage will crack it.

You'd probably need to coat the ends with glue, paint, wax or something like that, too.
And cut it maybe 4 inches too long, so I can cut the cracked ends off before turning it.

Lot of work for a set of grinders, eh?

It is not a true ebony, they come from the Diospyros family, same as persimmon or kaki.

I would guess, without actually checking up on it, that this is related to African Blackwood, which has somewhat similar properties as ebony.

Right then...I'll keep my eyes peeled for a good piece...could send you some Bda cedar in the mentime to play with...bet you've never smelled anything like it! PM me your address...

Ebony dust is a killer, at least for me. The nose...sinuses become a faucet. I'm ok with most woods, 'cept for a couple.

I have REALLY good dust extraction at the lathe and usually wear a faceshield with a filter and air blower, too.

My great grand pa was a woodturner and died from what they used to call "wood lungs" and a good friend I had, an old furniture maker, whose shop I used to hang around and work in, died from lung cancer. ( he had never smoked tobacco), so I'm being really careful.

I'm ok with most woods, 'cept for a couple.
Red oak from a table saw gets to me bad .Doesn't bother me in the wide open in the woods though .Odd, white oak doesn't affect me .

As it is I have a bunch of red oak to work down for trim on the house addition .That should be a real joy .

Back