Whatch-ya-growin?

Tent indoors., I suppose you could set it up inside your hoop houses too. The tents allows you to grow or start growing inside while controlling temp, heat, and humidity.

It is 12 degrees below freezing right now.
Take a hell of a tent to deal with that, I think.

I planted chestnut and pawpaw trees this winter, as well as walnut, heart nut, persimmon, doughnut peach and a few more apples. I finally deer fenced our front yard area, looking forward to a big pumpkin patch this year!

I planted pawpaw a couple years ago. Not sure I'll live long enough to see any fruit. They sure do grow slowly. I wanted to get persimmon this past fall, but never got to it. I've also made a halfassed attempt at getting a chestnut going from seed, but nothing came of it.

I hate slow growing stuff. There's a chance I have a 1ft tall pawpaw in a pot. It started growing a year or 2 after I was done trying to get them to grow from seed. I had a couple sprout and die. It could be something else though.

Really, they have pre-phylloxera vines.
That is really far out.
I'd love to taste their wine.

I have, of course, tasted lots of Madeira and back in the dark ages bought a case of Portuguese Colares tinto together with a friend.
That was honestly not something to write home about, but still an interesting experience.
1 bottle would have done, but it was a "buy a case or get lost" situation.
aren't the grapes the same? they just graft the same grapes on to american disease resistant rootstock? would the wine taste any different?

aren't the grapes the same? they just graft the same grapes on to american disease resistant rootstock? would the wine taste any different?
I believe the rootstock does effect the resulting wine. A large part of the variation in regional wines is the soil and weather. Different rootstocks are going to grow differently if grown in the same soil. Add to that any mycorrhizal interactions and or disease fungi and I could see the rootstock having quite a profound effect on flavor.

That, my friend, is simply a wine nerd thing.
Unexplainable to normal human beings.

But to put it short, you are right.

So, spring has finally sprung.
No more night frost.
So I transplanted all the seedlings out to the poly tunnel.
Funny how they look so small and puny, yet in 3 months they are ready to invade Poland............Lebensraum!!!

P1080098.JPG

Didn't think it would be quite that bad, considering they grow stuff in Alaska even. Just never considered you were for North enough to do everything in a greenhouse. We had a frost this week, but soon enough it'll be 90 degrees everyday. Just cool to see the differences, my neighbors have a huge garden and with all the fencing they use to keep animals out it would almost be easier to do a greenhouse.

Back