Whatch-ya-growin?

Sweet corn, spuds, greens, peas, squash, broccoli, carrots, beetroot and the grape vine is loaded.

Me, too.
It'll be about 4 weeks before I start sprouting stuff for the poly tunnel, indoors under growth lights.
BVy then i should be out of the cast and the last shipment of seeds should be here.
They had to take a detour by way of California.
I have bought seeds from these guys for years, they specialize in finding old sorts, from back when taste was more important than shelf life: Rare Heirloom Seeds| Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds - https://www.rareseeds.com/

I can really recommend them.

It has always been illegal to import seeds from outside the EU, but I have only been busted once.

Now, Baker Creek has suddenly decided, that since it is illegal, they will not ship to the EU.

So this years order went to a friend in California.
He packed them with some jelly beans to hide the sound of seeds, labelled the package jelly beans and shipped it last monday. :D

Why in Biden's great bewilderment is it illegal to import seeds? Are they scared you might grow too many veggies? I see the U.S. doesn't have corner on stupid politicians.

And for what it's worth, I tip my hat to your friend for shipping them to you anyway. May be some hope for you yet, you rebel-commie.... :P

Me, too.
It'll be about 4 weeks before I start sprouting stuff for the poly tunnel, indoors under growth lights.
BVy then i should be out of the cast and the last shipment of seeds should be here.
They had to take a detour by way of California.
I have bought seeds from these guys for years, they specialize in finding old sorts, from back when taste was more important than shelf life: Rare Heirloom Seeds| Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds - https://www.rareseeds.com/

I can really recommend them.

It has always been illegal to import seeds from outside the EU, but I have only been busted once.

Now, Baker Creek has suddenly decided, that since it is illegal, they will not ship to the EU.

So this years order went to a friend in California.
He packed them with some jelly beans to hide the sound of seeds, labelled the package jelly beans and shipped it last monday. :D
Take cuttings / clone your hardiest producers and bring inside during cold season : You will retain the superior genetics indefinitely. I’m fond of self watering container gardens. Edward C. Smith “The vegetable gardeners container bible” is an excellent into into this low-tech hydroponic system. I have gotten unreal results growing cherry tomatoes in dual 5gal buckets with “super soil” and the self watering system he promotes . I’m talking 3-4 ft tall , 4-5 diameter 500-750+ cherry tomatoes off ONE plant. The jalapeño peppers I grew got about 4ft tall and produced so many ass burners I was givin em away 😂

Last edited:
My guess is invasive species.
Why in Biden's great bewilderment is it illegal to import seeds? Are they scared you might grow too many veggies? I see the U.S. doesn't have corner on stupid politicians.

And for what it's worth, I tip my hat to your friend for shipping them to you anyway. May be some hope for you yet, you rebel-commie.... :P

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Please understand that it's not a silly political issue to have regulations in an effort to protect heritage, culture, region and provenance. The EU has worked with painstaking effort to protect regional foods and their support industries. They're saving jobs, towns, and regional economies. Port wine must come from Porto, Portugal to be labeled as such, parmesan cheese must come from Parma, Italy, champagne, et al. You are allowed to imitate just not fakery . This is to preserve the authenticity. Plants and seed crop are regionally vital to these tiny agronomy. Unintentionally cross pollination of unknown strain could spell disaster for highly specialized crops. Stig is not what the regulatory process was made for, it's big corporations and curbing their culture be damned bottom line sociopath profit culture from friggin' us all into looking the same everywhere!

P.S. I want calabrian pepper 🌶seeds.

I ran a forestry nursery at one time, so I have a pretty good idea of why they are leery about people importing unchecked plant material from other continents.

DISEASES!!!!!

Remember how the American chestnut got wiped out, the Dutch Elm disease and the Hymenoscyphus fraxineus fungus that are eradicating the Ash trees of Europe.

All imported.

The Serpula lacrymans fungus that is a major threat to timber on old buiuldings all over Europe, came from Himalaya, of all places.
Was brought to England in a load of timber and went on it's merry way from there.

Another good example is the insect that laid waste to virtually all vineyards in Europe about the time of the Napoleonic wars ( Beginning of the 1800 for those of you who don't have a commie education)
Only Madeira and some places in Portugal escaped it.
All because somebody had the great idea of importing some vinifera stock from America.

So, while I happily import seeds, where tyhe risk is small to non-existent, there is no way in Hell I'd import seedlings or other green material.

Take cuttings / clone your hardiest producers and bring inside during cold season : You will retain the superior genetics indefinitely. I’m fond of self watering container gardens. Edward C. Smith “The vegetable gardeners container bible” is an excellent into into this low-tech hydroponic system. I have gotten unreal results growing cherry tomatoes in dual 5gal buckets with “super soil” and the self watering system he promotes . I’m talking 3-4 ft tall , 4-5 diameter 500-750+ cherry tomatoes off ONE plant. The jalapeño peppers I grew got about 4ft tall and produced so many ass burners I was givin em away 😂

I don't have a place with the right temperature for that, or I would do it.
I'm trying with Habanero peppers this year, but the cold we are having now, has put an end to that, I fear.

Use a grow tent and lights then you can control the environment. Look to the grow tents for cannabis.
I don't have a place with the right temperature for that, or I would do it.
I'm trying with Habanero peppers this year, but the cold we are having now, has put an end to that, I fear.

It is 12 degrees below freezing right now.
Take a hell of a tent to deal with that, I think.

Really, they have pre-phylloxera vines.
That is really far out.
I'd love to taste their wine.

I have, of course, tasted lots of Madeira and back in the dark ages bought a case of Portuguese Colares tinto together with a friend.
That was honestly not something to write home about, but still an interesting experience.
1 bottle would have done, but it was a "buy a case or get lost" situation.

It is 12 degrees below freezing right now.
Take a hell of a tent to deal with that, I think.
Indoor gardening! You can fashion a small enclosure to start seeds / keep genetic copies alive until the weather is favorable in your particular area. The light can be kept on 24hrs/day and (if you purchase a light with ballast as one unit) it will keep the enclosure at the proper temp for max growth.

Last edited:
The difference is...weeds will grow with no cultivation...completely on their own. Veggies will NOT. Even if you import those “illegal” seeds, first of all, they’re just seeds...not disease-ridden plants. Secondly, there’s no guarantee you’ll even have a harvest. As to “invasive” species, I’ve never seen beans, peas, tomatoes, corn, or ANY vegetable “take over” a field. Just doesn’t work that way.

Really, they have pre-phylloxera vines.
That is really far out.
I'd love to taste their wine.

I have, of course, tasted lots of Madeira and back in the dark ages bought a case of Portuguese Colares tinto together with a friend.
That was honestly not something to write home about, but still an interesting experience.
1 bottle would have done, but it was a "buy a case or get lost" situation.
Turkey is a plant lover’s paradise, amazing country and geographic marvel. It’s basically a huge funnel for drift and trade. Just tried to find the spot in Cappadoccia and an article noted that part of Armenia was spared too. Can’t blame it, parched limestone makes for hard living. Remember it being almost all whites and maybe a red or two? I was sticking mostly to beer those days as I’d burned out my stomach lining and wine was like lemon on a cut.

P💗M

Sprouted during the night.
DSC04438 (1024x768).jpg
What's up with these off topic threads in the on topic section?

Last edited:
Back