What Non Essential Gear Do You Think Is Worth Owning?

Even in our worst winters, the heat from the saw warms up the bar oil well enough, so long as you let the saw warm up for a bit. Maybe -12°Freedom isn't cold enough for bar oil to cause problems.

But what do I know, I'm just some hillbilly from Northern Arizona, with too many chainsaws.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
My problem with cold bar oil is it's a huge hassle getting it in the tank. A big ol glob comes out of the spout, and you have long snotty strings that never quite break. I suppose if I just ignored the waste and mess it wouldn't be a problem, but I'm not wired like that.

I make my own winter weight. I use a clean windshield washer jug, because it's opaque and I can see the contents. I drain all my ''empty'' bar oil jugs, motor oil, trans oil, hydraulic fluid, ....anything oil. I get about a gallon a year. To make more, I'll use regular bar oil thinned with a bit of kero, heating oil, or D2. Whatever's on hand. I typically run through 2-3gals of winter weight. Anything above 32*F I'll run reg bar oil with a bit of saw warm up. Either way, I always let the saws warm up.

Canola is around $8/ gallon at Costco. I've never seen it thick. Might mix well if you don't want it straight.

I wouldn't mind a tackifier (sp?/ correct adjective?) for summer.

For globby starts of thick oil pouring, consider the old-school Hawaiian Punch in a steel can technique in the inner foil, a pour hole and air hole.

Yes that is the correct adjective. Tackifier is correct, other additives in bar oil include sticktion modifiers and various other components. Bar oil has to deal with quite a lot. It's one of the few "total loss" oiling systems left, and many bar oils are formulated to break down in the wilderness with minimal impact on the environment.

My problem with the tongs is I put them down and misplace them. They also don't hang well on a belt. A couple times I've squatted down, the tongs hooked my leg without me noticing, and I almost faceplanted when getting up :^D They're useful though. A sappie in one hand, tongs in the other, and you can easily carry two rounds.

I was just thinking about it, and a magnetic closure might work. A paracord constrictor on one leg, attached to a magnet that connects to the other leg. Doesn't have to hold any weight. Just keep the jaws together so they don't make unintended grabs.

That's a little more interesting than just a tong sheath. I could use a wedge pouch, so it would be multiuse. I might get that. Thanks :^)

Ive got 2 of the 12" husky timber tongs, I dont go out collecting firewood without them, on slippery smooth bark they are wonderful compared to trying to handle them with bare hands/ gloves.

Everyone who has used them has gone out and got a pair of their own after using them.

I heard that there were a few regrets in buying them, one was that they should have bought the larger 12" ones, and they should have bought 2 to start with, and should have bought them sooner.

:)

they also keep your hands away from the creepie crawlies like centipedes and snakes here, which dont tend to play nice.

Back