Wall of Shame: Wannabe Experts

Rather be lucky than good! To me that seems like a really big top and i get it, but to me going higher would be a better bet. That was long enough that it could have gotten him even if it all went smooth, with those long limbs who knows how that's gonna flop around, unlikely yes and I'm guessing from a video but to me that screams go higher. If i was going for it i would have likely bored it, nipped the sapwood, and had a pull line installed in case i read it wrong, hopefully stacking the odds that there's no surprises since you're sending it and everything trying to save some time, if you're going for gold do it right :lol:

This video came up in another thread recently.
Climb higher! Fear not the skinny wood! Small top=small problems!

That dude brought it on himself by either trying to be lazy, or actually being stupid.

Sure, I've taken a few big tops, but they were very "situational". It's not something I like doing because it's a lot of weight, moving dynamically, and I'm both tied and nailed in place. Typically, it's just not worth the risk, add barberchair, even in thought, and that's a big PHUK DAT.

Also, not a snowball's chance in hell that I'd be taking a top that big with a tophandle. Minimum 60cc, square ground chain, preferably 4 more inches than enough bar, because I like my tip fully clear.

Also also, just NO! You put your gear on, use it!

Just to sound like Treecutr, I'd have taken that top with a handsaw!
But I would have chained it above and below the cut first.
I've taken a LOT of big tops in my hazard tree work, and that has always been my modus operandi.
20170606_122508.jpg

Good pic that.
To me, there’s looks to be some jeopardy there, hopefully that top is dropping into smaller stuff and crushing it completely rather than any significant trees that may provide resistance.

Whats the backstory, why not a fell?

Great pic, Stig. No chains binding that one.

We dropped a couple of Maples to make room for it.
You can't see it in the picture, but there is actually plenty of room for the top.It stands next to a road in a National park.
We did a similar about 100 meters away 10 years ago.
They found a fungus growing on that one, that had only been registered in Denmark once before.
So when this one took sick, they asked us to neutralize it, hoping the fungus would move in.

It was not the picture I wanted to post, couldn't find the right one on my phone.
There are no chains on this one, it was so brittle, there was no chance of a barberchair.

This was the one I wanted:
P1030957.JPG

Back