The Official Work Pictures Thread

Nice Gary. My question is, was your rigging point retrievable? I can?t tell from my phone

Yes...we shot a throw line up and lifted a block with the belay line already installed. As we left today we left a throw line in its place. We will use it to get me up in the tree next time and start rigging off the oak limbs. That tree is probably going to be a bit of a pain...I guess that's what we get paid for. Here are some stills from today...shows retrievable block and where we used the tractor to break over the poplars that leaned toward the pool. Pull power like a tractor is nice.

Attachments

• Jerkins poplars  (2)resized.jpg
    Jerkins poplars (2)resized.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 46
  • Jerkins poplars  (3)resized.jpg
    Jerkins poplars (3)resized.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 45
  • Jerkins poplars  (5)resized.jpg
    Jerkins poplars (5)resized.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 45
  • Jerkins poplars  (7)resized.jpg
    Jerkins poplars (7)resized.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 44
  • Jerkins poplars  (8)resized.jpg
    Jerkins poplars (8)resized.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 45
  • Jerkins poplars  (9)resized.jpg
    Jerkins poplars (9)resized.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 46
  • Jerkins poplars  (10)resized.jpg
    Jerkins poplars (10)resized.jpg
    274.7 KB · Views: 47
  • Jerkins poplars  (12)resized.jpg
    Jerkins poplars (12)resized.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 43
Me, too. That's why I posted it. I've not seen it done like that before but it was simple. With a distant rigging point it is a big problem when the climber misses the upcoming belay rope and it zooms over to the block...especially if there is no knot in the end of the rope. Then you just have a block in a tree with no way to get it down...besides climbing up to re-set the belay rope.

No show, no call from my occasional groundie.
The mini loader and chipper didn't mind working.
I like working solo, if effective.

Love modern tree tools.

Third APTA shot for me yielded a collar shot over 100'.

I found out that Rig-N-Wrench and 3-strand don't play well together. Didn't stop this self-rig, last piece of brush, from having a gentle landing, with room to spare.;)
3-strand take a beating for natural crotching, and seems to hold less water.
Braided rope for RnW, IMG_20180309_114704643.jpg

I was able to chunk logs down and fell butts. IMG_20180309_145238892.jpg IMG_20180309_145243825.jpg

Homeowner is considering removing the big Doug-fir, too. It's funnily intertwined with the maple stumps. I thought it would be the safe bet.. The maple spar on the right of the fir is 80'. IMG_20180309_105331680.jpg

BTW, this is part of a yard, renovation. No grass to worry about!

Jeez Sean. You win.

Never die attitude.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
454762e000280e8c0ead2f23e1015a14.jpg

If I waited for people, I'd be in the poor house.

Still no word from my guy. Maybe jail, crashed his truck, who knows.

I'm buying a power broom, next. Raking aggravates my shoulder.

There only thing I really did differently was to tie a rope to the rigging line so I had another pull rope for a different spar, and used the rigging line, while still attached to be the top to set up a retrieval line for my choked SRT line.

The mini crushed the three leads together on the top to make it fit, and shoved it in the chipper.

I'm 5 times faster in the mini, so I bucked and moved logs. Easy.

I'm lucky in my market, and with my tricks up my sleeve, and with the way my brain works, I can do a lot of solo work, effectively.

My full time employee will be in Monday.
This other guy with "10" years experience climbing asked if I've got more work.

Within a few hours of placing a help wanted ad, I have "20" years experience available to me ����

Wonder Twin powers...Activate!
Didn't really need two climb lines, but I was setting up for the next operation with the orange line. Red and white on the tree I was topping.
Swinging between the two lines was nice. Adjusting one versus the other moved me laterally, working three spars down to felling height.
IMG_20180309_114726446.jpg

IMG_20180309_120923250.jpg

Like I said, room to spare for top. I just laid the saw and spurs on top of the butt while "de-gearing" on the ground, lowering line still attached. Homeowners have looked the show! 6 kids in the house, 3 adults.

Groundeez, Don't NEED no steenkeeng groundeez!

Some damn good work going on out there. All I've done is this tiny norway maple, 3/4 of it was cleaned off with my 18ft pole saw, it was, meh, approaching the wires, climbed and pieced off the rest that was clear of wires. Tried to sell cleanup but they wanted to do it themselves.

20180221_084920.jpg

20180306_123752.jpg

Nice solo work Sean.

I finished the big beech tree from last week. I was instructed to leave it where it landed as quickly as possible. I did, leaving a real mess to be honest. So, I could not believe my luck when I was sent there the next day to log it all to manageable pieces - the tree owner had really kicked off about it. I really hate subbie work sometimes.

Attachments

• IMG_1247.jpg
    IMG_1247.jpg
    318.2 KB · Views: 40
Work-cation!

When I get my house, I'll be having an extra room, and might get a small travel trailer for short term, new employee housing (see how that's a business expense!).

If I had another high-skill rigger/ feller AND pruner, I'd be swamped with work.

Too hard to do too much myself...
Sales, consulting, pruning, mechanic-ing, admin.

Been a nice, steady simmer for the whole of the slow season.

Peter, more money on the necessary work, lighter number on the low-risk, low-skill cleanup, set up in advance. More cleanup cost if they come back after the removal, and want cleanup done.

Bid higher "per hour" for climbing, less per hour for cleanup. You'll come out ahead on two climbing jobs, over one with cleanup, if time is a limiting factor.

Some beech, Pete! Keep up pics from across the pond!

Got a call from a homeowner in trouble.
Got a bunch of alders cut until this one. Started to split up the one side a bit after sitting back on his homeowner sloping backcut.

Chained and wedged, pulled against the lean, pulled the homeowners bar and chain, and replaced with wedges.
Installed a pull line.
Face cut, triangle backcut and release.
More work to come.
Happy I kept it off his house, and I didn't screw him because he was in a pinch. IMG_20180310_173131641.jpg IMG_20180310_173135090.jpg IMG_20180310_175518160.jpg IMG_20180310_175521789.jpg

For some reason I've never thought of tensioning a chain with wedges.
I'll file that one away for later.

For some reason I've never thought of tensioning a chain with wedges.
I'll file that one away for later.

As tight as possible on the chain may not allow max wedging power. Could gone with one link loser and one or two more wedges, none too wide where your bending a wide flat wedge around a round tree.

The padlock is for extra security.

Actually just frozen on there. Hoping to unfreeze it, rather than cut it off.

Used a triangle backcut as I wasn't sure how much I pretension need the pull line. Didn't have it anchored far enough, away in the blackberries, to pull more. Just wanted it to go quickly.
And show them there are special cut to reduce splitting.

Might be enough to sell some short logs, locally, between what he's cut, and wants cut.
Alder can be a higher dollar log, particularly peeler veneer logs. Likely no peelers here, just saw logs.

Spring has finally sprung around here lately. Not been to active on the computer but I have been out working a little. I am really close to finishing a job I started in January :/:. Been putting it off because the weather hasn't been real great. Had my first go around with a crane and the crane operators first go around with tree removal, luckily no one got hurt and everything went very smooth. It's expensive but saved a ton of work. I rigged out most of the locust but used the crane to take what was really hanging over the house. Also used the crane to remove the tree in the background that hangs out over the old green house.

IMG_4633.jpg

IMG_4634.jpg

IMG_4635.jpg

IMG_4632.jpg

IMG_4638.jpg

IMG_4637.jpg

First crane climb with first tree operator? Glad it went well. Ballsy. Looking good Shawn.

I’ll jump in with everyone else Sean. I had never thought of that either and it’s now stored in my toolbox like so many other things I’ve picked up from everyone here. I don’t bind trees very often but I’m sure it’ll come up again.

Back