The Official Work Pictures Thread

VERY nice, Scott!

"The Feral Pig" aka "The Truck of Universal Jealousy" is looking good in green...the color of our collective envy! :lol:

Whatever works!!! :beer:

In the PI they would set shards of broken pop bottles in cement on the top. VERY effective deterrent!

I wonder if it's legal here? I mean, I see constantine wire can be used... what would be the diff?

Sequoia near a house with a slight back lean. Grey old day but at least the rain held off.
I rarely work on these, the snappiness of the branches makes a nice change from the sinewy reluctance of some other conifers to let go.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 53
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 53
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 54
Nice Mick. That grapple on your tractor is sweet.

That tree appears a lot bigger on the ground compared to the first pic.

That grapple wasn't moving that!
Client wanted the trunk left for some imaginary sawmill that was going to pay a small fortune for it!
Suited me just fine, loaded the trucks and off we went.

Nice Mick!
short tree, fat trunk

Ive done a few of those and they are a nice change up

That grapple wasn't moving that!
Client wanted the trunk left for some imaginary sawmill that was going to pay a small fortune for it!
Suited me just fine, loaded the trucks and off we went.

Lmao. They'll make a mint off of that sawlog for sure.

:lol:I wonder if that's the same sawmill that runs over here Mick. I gotta find them. It's hell trying to get decent money out of the guy we use now

Cool tree, I was hoping to plant one this year but haven't gotten around to it.

I had time for the camera and a cup of coffee waiting for them to back up the chipper to leave...:lol:

a few shots on the way out from the power plant

Attachments

• OTS 004.jpg
    OTS 004.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 64
  • OTS 006.jpg
    OTS 006.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 64
  • OTS 008.jpg
    OTS 008.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 63
  • OTS 001.jpg
    OTS 001.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 65
no more seeing the faded DAVEY tree Logo's, thank goodness lol

HEY!Hey!Hey! (Just joking Scott) Really good truck, man. I know a guy who can fix absolutely anything on that pig should you need any advice. Seriously.

Mick: Those were some beautiful pics. PIG!!

Here's some Hemlocks I fell today. Five total from about 120' to 150'. Biggest was around 40" dbh. All but one were back-leaning pigs that had to go into the woods. About a month ago, a 120 footer windfell into the guy wire of a 420' radio tower. You shoulda seen how smashed the debris was.The boss said that all the other easy-strikers had to go before they erected the new one. No pics of the debris... :|::|::|:

unnamed-212.jpg

I HATE stacking wedges.

unnamed-211.jpg unnamed-213.jpg unnamed-214.jpg unnamed-215.jpg

Here's an interesting one whose irregular face led to an inadvertent Sizwill. I lost that pig about 15 degrees out of the lay for that. :X

Attachments

• unnamed-217.jpg
    unnamed-217.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 58
  • unnamed-218.jpg
    unnamed-218.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 59
  • unnamed-219.jpg
    unnamed-219.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 57
  • unnamed-223.jpg
    unnamed-223.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 58
  • unnamed-221.jpg
    unnamed-221.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 56
It's really beautiful Rich, but actually... I respect the tight-spot, broad limb work that you guys do a lot more. PITA's!

Yes Mick, but sometimes with great reluctance. Last winter I had to dump a four foot Maple into the woods that ate one of my lines... it just submarined about 18" down into the woods floor, and there was absolutely no way that we are going to buck the line out in time without cutting it. Since then, when there is little or no property damage to incur from losing a tree over backwards, I've kept a really nice throw-line in a bucket in hopes that I could get a line part way up if I felt like I couldn't lift a tree or whatever. The Washington woods really sucks for pulling trees into. Just trying to get a man in there with a pulling device can be a 30 min affair. You'll almost always have a ton of stuff interfering with the lines, and there are (for me) too many safety issues for the guy in the woods. On the other hand, as an arb I have very little experience stacking wedges. My wedges are usually crappy and don't stack well and tend to twist while driving them, which could turn me into a fast runner. :|:

Oh... a really good trick that can let you lift up to a ten degree back-leaner is to make the back-cut first, chasing it in with wedges as you go. (You make the back-cut entirely) and THEN put in your face being careful not to pinch your bar OR cut off your far corner.

Back