The Official Work Pictures Thread

Mike, it must vary, but can you say what is the average period of use between needing to change knives on that animal?

This is from yeasterday, I'm not working today:)

"Our" castle is putting up what will be the longest zip line in the country, hoping it'll bring in some revenue.
The guy who is building it is a bit of a space head, so we try not to get involved.
We have, however been asked to "carve" the tunnels through the canopy that it'll run through.
When we came in to do that yesterday, I noticed that he had used a severely compromised ash as termination point ( This despite being told by us to stay clear of ash trees, as we are removing them when they die, which will be in very short time. Problem is, this guy can't tell one tree from another, which is really a fine thing when you make your living by building zip lines in trees).
I asked who had ok'ed that particular tree and was told that he had used a certified arbo, who had checked the tree and found it sound.
Look at the pictures, folks!
I simply couldn't believe it, so I called the arbo and it turned out that he thought that the fact that there are sprouting fomes fomentarius didn't compromise the tree, since " it was only in one leader"????????????????????
He also hadn't noticed that the tree was hollow.
So I called the owner of the casle and explained that as I am in charge of arboreal safety in the park, I had to veto this.
We felled the ash and also another beech near the line that sprouting polyporus squamosus.
The certified arbrist had also decided that this was of no importance, despite the zipline running next to the tree.
I'm thinking of sending the pictures to the Danish arbo association and ask that they revoke his certification.

P1000556.JPG P1000558.JPG P1000560.JPG

The beech we felled was a real tricky one.
We could have ziplined it out, but they didn't want to pay for that, so we decided to try and fell it uphill so it could be cleared away.
We were somewhat doubtfull about being able to pull it off, but if it went sideways, it would end up on aslope, where it could be left for the bugs and fungi to enjoy.

I actually used a bar that could reach trhough for this one:D But wish I'd had a set of springboards.

The hinge couldn't hold it, as surmised, so it went sideways on us ( I had a bit of high heartbeat while cutting it, I'll admit) and snapped an 18 ton Dyneema rope as it went.

Losing a tree sideways is no big deal, when you have told the owner that it will most likely happen, beforehand.

Nice one to have standing over a zipline with (hopefully) thousands of people coming through each year, don't you think?

P1000567.JPG P1000569.JPG P1000575.JPG

We found that clearing way for the zipline was easiest done by pulling a climber attached to a rope and a hitchhiker along the line.
Then he could go up and down as needed and cut stuff away.
Only problem was the bounce in the line, which made going up a tiring thing, which is why we put one of the youngsters on the job.

Attachments

• P1000580.JPG
    P1000580.JPG
    171.6 KB · Views: 72
  • P1000582.JPG
    P1000582.JPG
    164.6 KB · Views: 71
Poor judgment. Perhaps, blind and hung-over, too.

You don't have to request it be revoked, if you don't want, but you might pass along the pictures and back story.

Good you caught it. Interesting work.

This is from yeasterday, I'm not working today:)

"Our" castle is putting up what will be the longest zip line in the country, hoping it'll bring in some revenue.
The guy who is building it is a bit of a space head, so we try not to get involved.
We have, however been asked to "carve" the tunnels through the canopy that it'll run through.
When we came in to do that yesterday, I noticed that he had used a severely compromised ash as termination point ( This despite being told by us to stay clear of ash trees, as we are removing them when they die, which will be in very short time. Problem is, this guy can't tell one tree from another, which is really a fine thing when you make your living by building zip lines in trees).
I asked who had ok'ed that particular tree and was told that he had used a certified arbo, who had checked the tree and found it sound.
Look at the pictures, folks!
I simply couldn't believe it, so I called the arbo and it turned out that he thought that the fact that there are sprouting fomes fomentarius didn't compromise the tree, since " it was only in one leader"????????????????????
He also hadn't noticed that the tree was hollow.
So I called the owner of the casle and explained that as I am in charge of arboreal safety in the park, I had to veto this.
We felled the ash and also another beech near the line that sprouting polyporus squamosus.
The certified arbrist had also decided that this was of no importance, despite the zipline running next to the tree.
I'm thinking of sending the pictures to the Danish arbo association and ask that they revoke his certification.

View attachment 55355View attachment 55356View attachment 55357

Any close ups of the Fomes? Isn't it greatly satisfying when the tree you fell is exactly as bad as you think it is. Good judgment:thumbup:
I don't think a tree going sideways is too bad, so long as you predetermine that may happen beforehand. Shows good skills, knowledge and possible prevention of damage in the future.
Great work.
J8)

How did the line get over-loaded, and break? At SPs we snapped a 16 ton 1/2" amsteel line. We ran up a running bowline on the worn end, and were pulling with a small dozer winch.

Stig, great thinking on using a zip line to clear the path for a zip line. Sounds so obvious when you say it but Im sure not many would have thought of it, me included!

Some final shots from the TDs last couple of days. We were recruited to chip up some trimmings from some trees were were not involved with. So we went back today for final clean up and the last bit of chipping.. Love add ons... LOL
Removed all the large wood and the second tree yesterday... My dad took a truck load while he was visiting as well ;)
Final blow downs and raking after chipping the add ons today....

Attachments

• IMG_0396.jpg
    IMG_0396.jpg
    279.7 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0397.jpg
    IMG_0397.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0398.jpg
    IMG_0398.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0399.jpg
    IMG_0399.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0401.jpg
    IMG_0401.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 72
Any close ups of the Fomes?

No, sorry, but they are so common here that I didn't bother with a close up.
Let me know if you want a close up picture and I'll find some to make one off.

We had the line attached to a large 4-wheel drive John Deere tractor and had already pulled as hard as that could without digging itself into a hole.
When the tree went sideways down the hill, the line crossed another beech and that snapped it.
Fairly new line, too. I was amazed that it didn't hold.

The new Sena helmets were FANTASTIC for this job.
Standing at the stump and cutting, almost 20 meters below the ridge where the tractor was and being able to quietly tell Richard to pull another 30" when the tree settled on my saw made the job a lot less nerve wracking than it would otherwise have been.
Like Stephen says, a game changer for sure. It'll turn out to be the best money we've spent for quite a while, I think.

Interesting job Stig.
I'm going to have to look into a waikie-talkies perhaps- can't stretch to the price of the senna at the moment. Could remove a lot of stress from suck awkward felling situations.

Interesting job Stig.
I'm going to have to look into a waikie-talkies perhaps- can't stretch to the price of the senna at the moment. Could remove a lot of stress from suck awkward felling situations.

mobile phones on speakerphone in a chest pocket can work, too. I won't go back to not having Senas. I just did a rotten maple job yesterday where it was crucial for pull. Other jobs have sped up because of them. They are a money maker...and we all have our expenses, so I can understand not going for the pricier deals.

Nice pics, Stephen! I did one like that last fall with triple tie-ins. The clean-up pic looks like no one was ever there.

evujeja4.jpg
asatubut.jpg
emape5up.jpg
qunevuze.jpg
he2y7yje.jpg

Rotten and dead maple mostly. Meant to get Before pics. Dozer pushed out stumps no problem. Some 90 degrees guy line fells. Pulled a totally dead rotten lead from over the roof with a redirect and truck, just barely.

This is down the road. Outdoor garden going in to supply WA referendum 502. Supplying retail recreational MJ shops.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Back