The Official Work Pictures Thread

ive natural crotch rigged some MASSIVE stuff on 1-2" limbs
also been past 100ft up standing in sub 3" wood, had plenty of times where I was like "no way this limb will hold" but here we are doubling up the winch line and stalling out my 10K chipper winch because of 1/2" twigs

trees are tough man! this land clearing job was a great learning experience, 5 ton excavator lifting itself off the ground wont push over a 4" oak tree

trees are tough man
Until they arent.

Pushing trees isn't easy. My dad thought very highly of his track loader. He was going to plow down a 15" hickory for me and drag it out. I told him it wouldn't work. He went full speed at it (2.5mph) and slammed to a stop, then kept pushing up and down with the bucket ruining the log as the bucket shaved into it. I finally cut it down.

How far out from the trunk are you rigging massive stuff on a 1-2" limb? I should also ask why are you doing that?

How far out from the trunk are you rigging massive stuff on a 1-2" limb? I should also ask why are you doing that?
right at the trunk

the biggest thing I recall was about a ~50ft hickory top, homeowner special, dude sent a top without a face cut right into a neighboring tulip poplar, kinda an emergency call as it was over a road, I didnt have a block with me at the time so made due with the limb

probably had a 4000 pound piece on a 2" poplar limb, it cut half way through the limb by the time we lowered the top of the hickory the ~50ft to the ground
Until they arent.

Pushing trees isn't easy. My dad thought very highly of his track loader. He was going to plow down a 15" hickory for me and drag it out. I told him it wouldn't work. He went full speed at it (2.5mph) and slammed to a stop, then kept pushing up and down with the bucket ruining the log as the bucket shaved into it. I finally cut it down.
yeah, they bend till they snap, I know hickory can bend a wicked amount if its a trunk, the limbs not quite so much from my experience, tulip poplar dont bend, oak can bend some but I found it to snap pretty well also

how big was the track loader? I pushed over a lot of 6-12" trees over the last 2 weeks with my machine, but had to dig the roots out, I found even a 2" root will keep a pretty large machine from pushing a tree over

generally I set a block around the trunk for rigging, if I have to natural crotch I run the rope around the stem in such a way that the trunk is holding most of the load, however ive done much worse

that being said, I have legit equipment now, that job I mentioned was when I was first getting started, I didnt have any rigging equipment, had to actually use the customers rope (tower climber dude, he had thousands of feet of 5/8 or 3/4" line)
would I rig a 50ft hickory top off a 2" poplar limb nowadays? probably not, odds of dying are too high

ive done lots of sketchy stuff and lived to tell about it, im not saying it was smart or that anyone should do it, infact id ask that nobody ever does something half as stupid as what I used to do
I dont do that sketchy stuff anymore, ive never even been to the hospital for stitches or broken bones but I figure ive used 8 of my 9 lives so im taking it easy from now on

Is that you or your dad? I know your dad is the main climber but based on some of your Facebook posts it is obvious you have been doing a lot of the climbing as well.
thats me
yeah, my dad does about 75% of the climbing, with me climbing its rare the tree gets done in one day but man I can chip some brush like nobody's business so I stay on the ground generally
ive been climbing for around 4 years now, 2 years professionally and 2 years for fun basically

going back and watching some of my climbing videos and saw this, what luck? wish I had a better camera angle but this is all I got, worst part is that I was almost 10ft below the hook and had to wiggle my way back up to it!

(I was pulling my lanyard out of the hook and it snagged up)
1700364628305.png

Last edited:
Since we only started 3 weeks ago..............................................no!
We did have one do a turn around the tree to check us out, while we were working.
Those birds are BIG when you are level with them.
Their nick name is the flying door here.

We are soo looking forwards to reports from the ornithologists next year and the following years.
Personally, I'd be more thrilled if Ospreys moved in, they are way more rare in Denmark.

We had one tree where all of us said, nay to Eagles, but the area would be perfect for Honey Buzzard Pernis apivorus ( Just because I know all the trees, bushes and birds in Latin, and to annoy @Kaveman )

Back