The Official Work Pictures Thread

No tears here Mick. :)

Personally I do not give a shit mate. Peoples opinion on the internet are exactly that - their opinions.

It was more based on pictures of reduced trees I have posted in the past. Reductions of around 10-30 % that you know well enough make up a large amount of the work over here.

They usually are greeted with strong opinions as to why it has been butchered... aweful work etc!

So I was actually being sarcastic about the lambasting, so it was quite surprising to get some of the comments when I have stripped 90% of the foliage on that tree.

At the end of the day I am a climber and although I will try and do best practice. I have bills to pay so I do what is requested of me.

Principles don't pay for nice things for my kids or mortgages.

I hear you, I think I remember someone over on AT posting a before and after pic on a tree where they had done nothing, just moved back a few yards with the camera. They received loads of compliments on the lightness of their touch.

It's all about context.

I hear you, I think I remember someone over on AT posting a before and after pic on a tree where they had done nothing, just moved back a few yards with the camera. They received loads of compliments on the lightness of their touch.

It's all about context.

Haha, I remember something similar.

They do seem to just remove a lot of trees in the rest of the world. Whereas in the UK they are reduced rather than removed, this creating repeat work if it flourishes. Or a fell if it dies.

I think I remember someone over on AT posting a before and after pic on a tree where they had done nothing, just moved back a few yards with the camera. They received loads of compliments on the lightness of their touch.

It's all about context.

That is hilarious and clever.

Yep, break away for super sketchy trees when rocking a remote TIP. I've only done this twice. They'll surely break if you twist them, but are pretty tough otherwise. . .

Rich, my only surprise is that the tree was done at this time of year for you...close to leaf fall? Would have thought they would have done it earlier...or is that just the way it all panned out?
Sometimes we don't get to pick the time.
I did a reduction on a storm damaged Elm that was only just coming into leaf a few weeks ago...the council took two weeks to get the job okay'd and it was in a fairly high risk area so it had to be done when it had to be done.

'Managed Decline' , I use that phrase all the time to help prevent an immediate removal if I think the tree has half a chance to live on for a good few more years.

Shoot Rich, if the land owner wants to hold onto the tree and the tree is becoming a hazard, so be it. There's a lot of emphasis being put on wildlife habitat these days, some people dig it, some hate it, i swing both ways on that.

I swing whatever way they pay me to do.

Those were probably full of green leaves just last summer, right?

Jeez!

Cool pics Sam, you've got the best looking gear around! You guys out west don't have a corner on the market of gray pines. Took down this beetle kill and a gnarly coastal long leaf. Several more beetle infested at the first spot. "I'll be back".
PB280938.jpg PB280940.jpg PB280941.jpg PB280942.jpg

Sam, I didn't put it together at first... Looks like you winched a log up onto your pull line, for continuous pull after the tree commits to the lay, where a normal pre-tensioned line losses pull.

Smart.

Hitching the log to the pull rope directly with a clove hitch, or hitching the log's choker rope to the pull line might preserve pull line strength, and avoid a locked up Alpine butterfly. Was it hard to untie, or not an issue?

Is that capstan tie-off method the manufacturer's design?

Had three bigleaf Maple sucker clumps to pull away from the house. Put on ground only.

Glad to see my throw line skills haven't gone to poop as an APTA baby.

Only up to about 50' shots, but threw about 80% first try.

IMG_20161128_134447801.jpg

Oh, there was that large,round drum, barely chocked on the hill, directly up a terraced hill above the house, filled with heating oil.

All's well that feels well. 8)

Pulled about 20 of them with a vehicle, or by hand.

I have a technique question...
When hand pulling a tree, I have the groundie pretension the line or just snug the pull line, taking a couple wraps to tie-off the line on a suitable tree as a ground anchor. It can't go over backwards, as it's 'dead headed' (if I have the term right) When you apply a load somewhat perpendicular to the line, like sitting on it somewhat mid-span, you can multiple your force.

What do you call this "perpendicular loading"? It's got a "sweating a line" component?

When you apply the force in the appropriate location, you get a significant magnification of force, I believe.
Three people sitting/ pushing/ pulling down on a tensioned rope work better and easier.

A lot of us have seen three people, not working in unison, pulling a line that's angling upward to the pull tree, straining for footing, straining hands, wrapping body parts...

You need more rope, and working area, as a drawback.

https://youtu.be/PVJIf39NeS8

I'm trying to figure it out... Some disciple of physics.

Sam, I didn't put it together at first... Looks like you winched a log up onto your pull line, for continuous pull after the tree commits to the lay, where a normal pre-tensioned line losses pull.

Smart.

Hitching the log to the pull rope directly with a clove hitch, or hitching the log's choker rope to the pull line might preserve pull line strength, and avoid a locked up Alpine butterfly. Was it hard to untie, or not an issue?

Is that capstan tie-off method the manufacturer's design?

Thanks Sean, Log round midline is all Gerry B. Right out of Fundamentals. I was only using butterflies because I didn't have any prussics with me. There wasn't enough force involved to lock down those knots in this particular insance, but I have had that happen before and spent a good half hour pounding and prying on some arborplex, trying to undue a locked out alpine butterfly. . .

That tie off on the winch is similar to what the manufacturer recommends, basically with an extra wrap. You have to be careful how much tension you leave in the line, or it can be hard to impossible to restart the direct drive motor if the load/spar sets back a bit after it's cut up. . .

Been doing a lot of dead nasties of late there Sam. Nice face cuts. Nice job.

Thanks Stephen!

What do you call this "perpendicular loading"? It's got a "sweating a line" component?

I think Kenny (TreeSpyder) calls that "sweating a purchase". That's what I call it as a result of his teachings...hope I got it right.

Try this: https://www.masterblasterhome.com/showthread.php?16033-Sweating-line-1-man-line-leveraging

and drill your way to his site...LOTS of info. http://mytreelessons.com/Flash/forces/forces_sweat.swf

And "purchase"...now I don't know where I got that term. More research, I guess.

Back