The Official Random Video Thread!

Bruh...how does someone f*ck this up? Oh, right...it happened in China. Now it all makes perfect sense.

For perspective, this happened over 152 meters up in the air

I've been thinking about trying an open coil, especially on my bulkier lines. I usually do a few wraps around the whole thing, run a bight through the "eye", then a couple daisychain tucks so it's kind of a slender package.

Years ago, Frans gave me a small rope tarp. It is a circle of packcloth nylon about 4 feet across with a drawstring sewn into the perimeter. A cinch toggle secures the drawstring after you flake the rope on to it and then draw up the edges. Has an adjustable strap for slinging it across your back.

It is a nice piece of gear. I've used it for my primary climbing rope for at least 20 years now. Holds 200 feet of 13mm rope just fine.

I don't recall the brand. Assuming it's labeled :). Be an easy thing for me to check if anyone is interested...also be easy to sew one up yourself.

this is the one I have been buying B

Years ago, Frans gave me a small rope tarp. It is a circle of packcloth nylon about 4 feet across with a drawstring sewn into the perimeter. A cinch toggle secures the drawstring after you flake the rope on to it and then draw up the edges. Has an adjustable strap for slinging it across your back.

It is a nice piece of gear. I've used it for my primary climbing rope for at least 20 years now. Holds 200 feet of 13mm rope just fine.

I don't recall the brand. Assuming it's labeled :). Be an easy thing for me to check if anyone is interested...also be easy to sew one up yourself.
I'm usually much more of a rope bag guy than a coil guy. I don't even coil up my smaller lines, I just lay them back and forth in my hand with about 3' lengths and then tie a double fisherman's knot around all of the strands. You could do that with a coil as well...just use a double fisherman's knot.

As far as your comment of using tarps, I also use rock climbing rope bags which are really nice because they are a) waterproof, b) contain a large tarp to flake your line out in, b) have a bag connected to the tarp that, once the tarp is folded up, you can flip it into a bag that either has a draw string, a zipper, or buckles. What's more is that these bags are designed to second as backpacks most of the time with shoulder straps affixed to the back of them.

EDIT: I don't like the twists that coils put into ropes.

EDIT: I just realized we are talking about the same thing. I thought you just meant, like, a tarp haha I'm slow, ignore me.

EDIT: When I do rec climbs, I pretty much always just carry the rope in my cavernous alpining backpack. Easy peasy....unless I want to use more than one line...then I'll bring the rock climbing bag. I actually always keep my throwline in a rock climbing bag as described above, though,

EDIT: I just need to do one more edit...I like even numbers...it's an OCD thing. =-D

Last edited:
I think I posted this before but I kinda forgot this girth hitch mod, so here again

I like using a chain stitch lashing for that kinda stuff, or a packers knot. Do a figure 8 with the bitter end around the line, cinch tight, then throw a half hitch over the bitter end tail to lock it in place, super quick and easy. You can also use a buntline hitch for the same effect, even more secure, but also sometimes a little too secure for my tastes. The chain stitch lashing is simply a chain sinnet around an object to whatever length you need, works great for taming tarps and stuff. I love it on my sails when they're dropped, it's like full reefing it down but quicker and easier. Grabs it all over the surface, yet then you just pull the knot out from one end and boom ready to go, no going everywhere to untie it.

butchers-knot-diagram-587433361.png

The chain sinnet can also be used to manage larger ropes. I like the double chain sinnet myself for certain lines that i want to pay out perfectly, such as an anchor rode. The double is faster to tie since you use both hands, and it reduces the length by at least a factor of 4. You can also double the line (or more) before you start, so a 200 foot bull line becomes roughly 20 to 25 feet long, which is just long enough to wrestle around a bit more comfortably, and since it's all locked in place it can't tangle. Carpenters around here use it for cords and air lines, not my preferred method but they seem to like it.

I like using a chain stitch lashing for that kinda stuff, or a packers knot. Do a figure 8 with the bitter end around the line, cinch tight, then throw a half hitch over the bitter end tail to lock it in place, super quick and easy. You can also use a buntline hitch for the same effect, even more secure, but also sometimes a little too secure for my tastes. The chain stitch lashing is simply a chain sinnet around an object to whatever length you need, works great for taming tarps and stuff. I love it on my sails when they're dropped, it's like full reefing it down but quicker and easier. Grabs it all over the surface, yet then you just pull the knot out from one end and boom ready to go, no going everywhere to untie it.

View attachment 133824

The chain sinnet can also be used to manage larger ropes. I like the double chain sinnet myself for certain lines that i want to pay out perfectly, such as an anchor rode. The double is faster to tie since you use both hands, and it reduces the length by at least a factor of 4. You can also double the line (or more) before you start, so a 200 foot bull line becomes roughly 20 to 25 feet long, which is just long enough to wrestle around a bit more comfortably, and since it's all locked in place it can't tangle. Carpenters around here use it for cords and air lines, not my preferred method but they seem to like it.
I can't believe I forgot about the chain sinnet! I use one on my lanyard constantly. I just don't always use one for ropes anymore...but I used to! In fact, before I decided I was too lazy to make a chain sinnet, and after discovering the efficacious and efficient joy of simply flaking a rope into a rope bag, I used chain sinnets all the time!

The only downside to a chain sinnet is that it slightly reduces how much rope you can put in any given volume of space because, when tying one, you create these pockets of space between each "link" in the chain sinnet that range from small to large, depending upon who ties it and their preferences. The best way to maximize how much rope you can fit any any volume of space using a chain sinnet is to either double or triple the rope over itself before putting it into your containment vessel.

When simply flaking a rope into a bag, it maximizes your ability to make use of volume relative to any other method. That being said, the loss of available volume generated by a chain sinnet isn't going to be a problem if you have a large rope bag. I hesitant to place a value on the amount of loss, but it isn't egregiously huge by any means. Even a coil, or even a butterfly coil, would maximize space better. This is knowledge coming from my alpine experience, where weight and space optimization are crucial to success.

Speaking of which, nobody has mentioned the butterfly coil, which puts in less twists than a regular coil in most cases...

Last edited:
Back