The Official Random Video Thread!

Yup, that's Hannah. I don't follow everything, but I have seen a lot of the stuff she and her dad get up to. I can't say I've never annoyed a fish in my life, but it's not in my list of priorities, so I don't watch it, either.

Palm trees often have a lot of variation in the diameter of the stem (thick, thin, then thicker, then super thin, then thick again, etc.), while mostly tapering down as the palm grows upwards.

The way I see it, this device is like climbing with a Rope Runner or Zig Zag, etc. using a rope that has 10x different diameters across its entire length. It's going to perform better at certain diameters than others, even if this palm tree device has some kind of spring loaded clamp to stay locked on. At least that's how it seems to me. Not to mention the weight of the device plus the rider being almost entirely on one side of the tree.

I give this contraption 5 points for redneck ingenuity and I subtract 5 points for safety and trustworthiness, resulting in an overall score of zero. =-P

Last edited:
Times you really want a bail out bag, and a buddy better with a bucket.....

What would a "bail out bag" consist of in the bucket of a bucket truck which would allow someone like this poor guy to quickly escape the burning bucket?

Something like a rope that you can hook to the side of the bucket, or some rated anchor point, with some kind of descender to hook to your harness? In this situation it'd probably be ideal to have a rope made from amid fibers, like Technora or Twaron, etc., so the rope wouldn't melt and break off.

Maybe I am misunderstanding what you meant by "bail out bag." Are bucket truck operators usually trained out to make emergency escapes to the ground? Seems like that would be something worth teaching. Do most buckets in a bucket truck have room for emergency escape equipment?

Just asking. I know nothing about bucket trucks.

What would a "bail out bag" consist of in the bucket of a bucket truck which would allow someone like this poor guy to quickly escape the burning bucket?

Something like a rope that you can hook to the side of the bucket, or some rated anchor point, with some kind of descender to hook to your harness? In this situation it'd probably be ideal to have a rope made from amid fibers, like Technora or Twaron, etc., so the rope wouldn't melt and break off.

Maybe I am misunderstanding what you meant by "bail out bag." Are bucket truck operators usually trained out to make emergency escapes to the ground? Seems like that would be something worth teaching. Do most buckets in a bucket truck have room for emergency escape equipment?

Just asking. I know nothing about bucket trucks.
Heat resisant cord long enough to hit the ground. Bail out or Bee line would suffice. I have mine already anchored to an appropriate place on the bucket or boom with an appropriate biner. Mine has a mechanical ascender/decender already hooked to my saddle with a biner. A simple figure 8 will do. Rescue 8 even better if you use small cordage.
Dont have to be burning to use it. A hornets nest can help make that kind of decision for you. Or bad injury.
Toss rope bag out. You get out

Back