The Official Random Video Thread!

Fail videos are weird. Some are true fails, while others show expert cutting, and some reasonable amateur attempts without carnage.

Starlink is 120/month for Yosemite for that Standard package and you could simply get an internet based phone number for home through Google Voice. I don't have answers to your questions regarding being out and about. I never gave those angles consideration, so I apologize. I was strictly focused on improving your home viewing experience on the internet. You would likely still need a mobile service, so that's redundant and annoying. I guess I understand your dilemma. I apologize for getting sassy.
I have a Google voice number for my business. Unfortunately, they changed the forwarding terms to allow my voicemail to take over.
My home number (landline) has voice mail and is my original contact number for my business. Repetative ending makes it easier to remember
Google voice also places me in ElPortal. Thus making my local customers pay for an LD call and local new prospects think I am out from their area.
There are a lot of nuances about living out in sticks.
I am very internet savvy as well as computer literate. Believe me when I say, we have explored other options and settled on what is best.
I am also near retirement. I really don't need to "make things better" in the internet or phone aspect.
Starlink will be a better internet option. So long as we dont have fibre optic. But that is coming down the pike.
Hell, we did not even have a DSL option until 2002 or 03. And some up here still dont. Much different world.
Now, mind you, I can also remember going from 14 to 56k modems and then to a COX Cable package in AZ.
I can also remember when North Scottsdale and Carefree were considered too rural for UPS to deliver on Sat.

I suppose it seemed unfathomable to me that, in this day and age, coverage would still be so poor. However, I clearly underestimated the ruralness of your locales and the unwillingness of providers to extend their services beyond a certain line. Another option would be satellite phones. I have no idea what the cost would be, the now come in smart phone form, texting and obviously calls are allowed, along with emails and the use of certain applications, and you have access pretty much anywhere. They also have attachments for your laptop to use the satellite as a hotspot of sorts. I know this because this is what is used for when we climb extremely large mountains of high altitude. Someone on mount Everest can use their satellite phones to text their loved ones from almost anywhere on the mountain and even allows them to record video and post those videos onto YouTube mid-ascent. The total ascent can sometimes take many weeks and Everest is surely more isolated than you are. Just a final thought. It might cost a fortune, though, sooooooo. They might have economical plans, though, for if you don't need much data. This would be a mobile solution. Versus Starlink, which is at home.

EDIT: Everest is also much higher altitude. So it would work better than a valley with thick tree cover.

Knothead...to help you understand one little part of this foolishness...the suburbs IS urban, from where I sit. There are zero differences, relative to my situation.

And here, like where Stephen lives, there is one single solitary internet provider. I can have either a single DSL offering, or nothing at all. I can get landline service for phone from the same company, or nothing at all as there is not sufficient cell service from any provider where I live. It's not worth owning a smartphone, for us anyway.
Pretty much the same here too.
We have an old copper land line, no NBN coverage, sat service is very expensive, and not that good, no mobile coverage.

@CurSedVoyce Accurate. The Gulf of Tonkin Resolution authorized the use of military force in the Vietnam War without a formal declaration of war. Congress never declared war on North Korea nor any war since.

EDIT: War declarations stem from a time back when we would stand in formation and fire at one another. There is no strategic advantage to it anymore. Quite frankly, there never was.

EDIT: But I think there is something worth respecting about a leader who declares war. It gives you enemy some time to prepare so it isn't a complete slaughter. However, looking at what happened with Vietnam, we were the ones who ended up leaving, same with N. Korea, same with Afghanistan, same with Iraq...so would a declaration made much of a difference? Probably not.

EDIT: I'm not saying it's good or bad. I'm just saying it's flawed in both directions.

Last edited:
This device looks...interesting. I have plenty of gear that I can use for MA on a limb walk and I'm not really sold on the other uses. Also, when he says he tied a "VT," it's actually just a "Valdotain." A loosely tied "Valdotain" has the potential to become a "French Prusik," but his looked pretty tight.

Last edited:
The Cric's kind of neat. Not sure exactly what I'd use it for, but the price isn't bad; $77. About twice as much as a nice micropulley. Looks like a good device for the right person.

The Cric's kind of neat. Not sure exactly what I'd use it for, but the price isn't bad; $77. About twice as much as a nice micropulley. Looks like a good device for the right person.
I agree that it's neat, but I already own gear that does all of that. So, clearly, I'm not the right guy. I will give it them, though, and as you already mentioned, the price is a steal.

Go back to my post skooter and read it again.
Then realize I can speak sarcasm.
And why the hell would I recommend a video source for another I post in the same post with out having already viewed it.
I am a grumpy old man with little patience these days for none thought out words.
I was taught to engage brain before starting tongue. In this case a key board would be the medium.
Here's a question. Why the hell would you post something you did not read or view? Interesting.

Here you are again, Knothead. You HAVE to try harder to get better at understanding normal communication in text form. Otherwise, you will continue to fail at comfortable interactions with the rest of us.

We know this is a challenge for you. We get that. We do not want to blackball anyone who makes the effort to contribute, as you clearly do.

Help yourself. Slow down and read things written closely, and think about what and how it's said.

You can; I know it because you time and again backtrack from some strident response or another you've made, after a bit of time has passed, showing remarkable self-awareness...if you pause and think.

Last edited:
Back