The Official Random Video Thread!

BlackSmith

Uncivil
When I worked at Grove in the cylinder building I used hard wire but it was submerged arc, no helmet required. Good experience.

cory

Tree House enthusiast
I'd like to hear some about working at grove, their machines seem incredible

BlackSmith

Uncivil
I was only there for two years. Welded outrigger boxes for a couple months then booms for a few months then settled into the cylinder dept. This was in 74 and 75. Production welding sucks. Later in 86 or 87 I got the chance to work with Earl Keefer, he worked for John Grove when they were making farm wagons. His clock number was #2. His son Melford is an engineer for JLG.

lxskllr

Treehouser
That was interesting. Should have changed the color while it was in for work though. That shade of green's kinda ugly :^D

Nutball

TreeHouser
I used to think these were cheaply made novelties because of the thin sheet metal construction. Granted mine is made in china.

Last edited:

lxskllr

Treehouser
I have a couple old US made Dietz lanterns, but they're all Chinese now. A few years ago, I wanted a new lamp, and found Feuerhand lamps made in Germany. Well made, and as good as the old Dietz lamps.

Code:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MCLUSWK/ref=twister_B09C8ZCYDR?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Burnham

Woods walker
We have a couple of Aladdin kerosene mantle lamps, and a couple of very old wick style like Ausin showed (one from each grandmother's homes). They look almost exactly like his second pic.

The Aladdins are awesome; they generate about the equivalent lumens to a 40 watt incandescent bulb. Also a fair amount of heat, which can be a nice side benefit in cool/cold weather.

lxskllr

Treehouser
I prefer flame light, but it's too hot in warm weather to use them unless I have to. I tend to run my oil lamps more in the winter due to the heat they make. They do kinda stink though, even using a purified paraffin oil.

gf beranek

Old Schooler
Romancing the line. This is a good vid.

I hiked the the CWRR between Ft. Bragg and Willits along the Noyo River. 44 miles of track. lots of old-growth tracks and trestles. I did it twice, and many short sections between.