The Official Random Video Thread!

When I worked at Grove in the cylinder building I used hard wire but it was submerged arc, no helmet required. Good experience.

I'd like to hear some about working at grove, their machines seem incredible

I was only there for two years. Welded outrigger boxes for a couple months then booms for a few months then settled into the cylinder dept. This was in 74 and 75. Production welding sucks. Later in 86 or 87 I got the chance to work with Earl Keefer, he worked for John Grove when they were making farm wagons. His clock number was #2. His son Melford is an engineer for JLG.

That was interesting. Should have changed the color while it was in for work though. That shade of green's kinda ugly :^D

I used to think these were cheaply made novelties because of the thin sheet metal construction. Granted mine is made in china.

Last edited:
I have a couple old US made Dietz lanterns, but they're all Chinese now. A few years ago, I wanted a new lamp, and found Feuerhand lamps made in Germany. Well made, and as good as the old Dietz lamps.

Code:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MCLUSWK/ref=twister_B09C8ZCYDR?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

We have a couple of Aladdin kerosene mantle lamps, and a couple of very old wick style like Ausin showed (one from each grandmother's homes). They look almost exactly like his second pic.

The Aladdins are awesome; they generate about the equivalent lumens to a 40 watt incandescent bulb. Also a fair amount of heat, which can be a nice side benefit in cool/cold weather.

I prefer flame light, but it's too hot in warm weather to use them unless I have to. I tend to run my oil lamps more in the winter due to the heat they make. They do kinda stink though, even using a purified paraffin oil.

Romancing the line. This is a good vid.

I hiked the the CWRR between Ft. Bragg and Willits along the Noyo River. 44 miles of track. lots of old-growth tracks and trestles. I did it twice, and many short sections between.

Back