Swivels on bridge?

The OP was about a swivel with SRT but for a new guy like me. I climb all drt with the hitch climber set up. I’ve been considering the notch rook pulley so that I have multiple attachment points in case I have two systems aswell as being able to spin either way and not have the system twist on me. These are just ideas and now y’all have me questioning the value of a swivel on the bridge. Haven’t been on two systems since I switched to the hitch climber so I guess my biggest question is that if I had two systems would I still be able to turn 90 degrees from them to do a limb walk? In the past I had two Blake’s hitches and couldn’t turn anyway but having the systems pull me apart in the middle. Any advice for the ddrt rookie?

Know how to use two systems but don't fret it much. In 25 years of climbing I may have used two systems twice. It's easier and more efficient to just use your primary system more efficiently and your lanyard to traverse those awkward spots. It isn't a method you will use very often, if at all. But it's still fun playing with all the different options.

The truth is it takes a lot of time to set up those fancy setups, and "ain't nobody got time fo dat". A more likely scenario is that you need help getting out on a difficult limb and the lowering line is in a nice spot, so you use it as a secondary support to help you get out there. You use what you got and make it work because you got 3 guys on the ground waiting on you to cut the damn limb.

Skwerl it’s funny you mention that. The boss and I just started experimenting with that. Yesterday I put a rigging block on a neighboring tree and used it to get “some” MA on his line to pull him over into a neighboring tree so he could lanyard in. The one time I had to do a double tie in was on this 40ft long water oak branch that had absolutely no available tie ins other than on the spar 15ft higher than it so I tied two systems on some little sideways 2-3in pieces above me so I could get out there. Was a high anxiety day and was maybe my third working climb lol. Haven’t needed it sense, guess I get a little too excited about new gear. Thanks guys!

I can’t imagine I would ever go back to a ring from a swivel on my bridge, but from a beginners standpoint I don’t see how extra movement from the swivel would add a level of comfort as you learn your gear and trees.

Consider a second bridge if you can add ( and possibly remove) one easily.

I roll with two.

Sometimes i change my Ddrt lanyard to SRT on my second bridge with double the length.

I looked back at my comments on this post, since then:
Two bridges and two swivels.
Lanyard on one, main line in the other.
Side D's are in semi retirement.
Really, really nice! IMG_20180529_130710.jpg

Last edited:
I looked back at my comments on this post, since then:
Two bridges and two swivels.
Lanyard on one, main line in the other.
Side D's are in semi retirement.
Really, really nice!View attachment 117357
In my opinion, all that crap just pushes your hitch too far out of reach. I would just hook my carabiners directly to the gold rings and eliminate all that extra gadgetry. And bring my hitch about 12" closer to my hands so I'm not stretching out to reach it all the time.

Well Brian, being the person actually in the harness, I can reassure you that my hitch (HH out of frame to the left) is perfectly within my reach, and you all know how little I am!
Been climbing with this setup for about 5 years, even full stretch on a limb walk I reach back and it's there.
Horses for courses, a question about bridge swivels, this is my setup and it works. If you've never tried it, or tried a combo that didn't work, that's your experience and you've found the combo that works for you. 👍

PS: if I clipped a carabiner directly to the gold rings, I'd have no bridge!

PS: if I clipped a carabiner directly to the gold rings, I'd have no bridge!
Exactly my point. With the D rings so close together and the bridge so long, what exactly does it do other than extend your hitch out an extra 12"? It obviously doesn't slide back and forth more than an inch or so, and 1" of slide a foot away from your D rings isn't really adding any advantage.

Fi, I'm not picking on you, just my take on the bridge setup. I really am glad it works for you but I can't see adding in all that extra crap for no real advantage except to look fancy. Luv ya! :love10:

It's all good Brian 🙂
I'll try and get an action shot sometime to show how close my system is. 'Looking fancy' is reserved for going to the theatre, my only concession to looking fancy in tree work is to make sure I'm colour coordinated :lol:
The rope bridge is the standard issue that comes with a Petzl SRT harness, operates just like any sliding bridge. Surely you agree sliding bridges are better than fixed point suspension for all the twisting and wiggling we do working in trees?
The one with the shackles is a spare from my original Komet butterfly from ohh....20yrs ago! It sat in storage for years until I decided to try two bridges.
Tossing my MRS lanyard and clipping back, doesn't matter which way or how I twist, the swivel negates the twist. The same on my SRT side, climb through, turn, whatever, swivel negates the rope twist.
DMM nanos, they have multiple planes they can 'bend' as well as twist. A 'fixed' swivel has a warning in the paperwork not to load them sideways across a hard point.

Ok update, once I went on the DMM site I remembered checking my swivel...but thanks for the reminder (DON"T anyone dare say anything about age lol)
My Nexus is well outside the range of the recalled ones.
I also have a Focus, which is unaffected.

I still think they are better than the fixed plane swivels.

Be interesting to know what the batch number on that broken one is, but it definitely needs investigating, I'd be packing it up and sending it to DMM along with the pics.

I saw that earlier. Showed it to Ryan. He took his off his saddle immediately. Of course I can’t remember the last time he wore it but at least he’s playing it safe. We will see what the investigation finds out

Best to do as Fi has, check the DMM website and get the details on which model from which time period are affected/recalled.

Ooof…. That thing literally had one job.

I’m pretty surprised, DMM has a stellar reputation. Hopefully nobody gets hurt or killed.

This swivel is out of the affected date range, as i understood it.

He says he's on his 4th or 5th swivel, iirc.

Back