Stump grinders

Page

TreeHouser
I think I might buy a stump grinder this year. I've used some big ones in the past working for other guys but since I started my own biz I've been renting. The best thing I can rent around here ( without paying a fortune) is a 25 horse Carlton. It gets the job done but man is it painfully slow. this year so far I've rented once a week. I could probably afford a loan payment with that money. What do you guys like? I was thinking the rg90 but I'm not tied to any one brand. I just want something efficient and built well.

I have a Vermeer sc652 and like it well enough. Stump grinding is very boring but if you keep telling yourself you are making $300 an hour grinding it makes it less painful.

What do you guys like? I was thinking the rg90 but I'm not tied to any one brand. I just want something efficient and built well.

RG 90 would be a monster for you but they are pricey. I have an rg 50, I like it a lot but you don't want to use it on huge stumps unless access for a bigger machine is a problem. I'd love to get an rg 100.

Good logic re buying over continuing to rent.

Do you have a mini or other loader? Every stump you make, had a lot of tree above it to be moved.

Still running my 13 year old Vermeer 252. Pricy little bugger when new but money well spent.
Trick for me is run Green Teeth and disable the auto sweep. Could use a new 35 horse motor but the old 25 Kohler just goes hard like the energizer bunny without a hiccup.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Do you have a mini or other loader? Every stump you make, had a lot of tree above it to be moved.

I wish I had a loader of some kind. I move too much by hand. Property might actually be my next purchase over machinery because I'm running out of space to put things.

Have you considered a machine that can move material with ease, and do a lesser job of the grinding of each stump, over a dedicated grinder?

Grinding is not too big a deal around here. I could sell it more, but don't. I might add it in, but haven't. You can't move material with a stump grinder.

The mini, I could about write love songs about. It opens up more services, too. I've been pruning a lot lately, with drive-up access for the chipper. A lot of times, I move the chipper to the brush. I haven't moved the mini in two weeks. But, next time I need it, I'm happy its there. I can make the payment with the labor cost-saving and added services if I use it a 2-3 times a month, I"d guess.

I would buy a mini skid/loader before a grinder. Especially if you're working big removals often, which I think you've mentioned. How are you dealing with 3' trunk wood right now? If it's getting sliced and diced into hand moveable pieces any kind of powered material handler is going to change your game up much more than a stumpgrinder.

Yeah a mini skid/loader will be my next piece of equipment to share the spot where I park my grinder on the trailer. But meanwhile my little Muck Truck powerbarrow is still doing reliable service for me.

BTW saw a stand on DitchWitch on tracks with diesel for sale locally with not a scratch on it, can't get ahold of the owner though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah a mini or a skid steer would be key. I do move a lot of wood by hand. It's back braking of course. I get a lot of calls for grinding and a lot of the trees I take down are big. Even when the tree is small and easy to take down. Big root flares. They take forever with the little rental grinder. I guys I have to weight out cost of labor moving wood vs. profit of grinding. (And longevity of moving wood by hand)

BTW I saw a stand on DitchWitch on tracks with diesel for sale locally with not a scratch on it, can't get ahold of the owner though.
I just checked out this machine, it's not a Ditch witch but a Dingo TX 525 wide track with a 25 hp Kubolta diesel.
840 hr and has a brand new undercarriage, brand new tracks.
Don't like it's 42" wide for gates but the extra 6" may make it worthwhile for stability.
Clean runs real nice, he doesn't know what year as he bought it at a auction then fixed it up....
he's asking $14,500 CDN . I gotta think about this one.
What do you guys think, anyone have any experience with these Dingo's ?

The mini will get you to a grinder sooner than the grinder will get you to a mini.

The mini will get you to a grinder sooner than the grinder will get you to a mini.

Good one! Depends on your market of course, with bigger removals in easy access gardens like you tend to get in the US, I think you're right.
I still say get both, a bit of debt gets you out of bed in the morning, cures all minor ailments and aches and pains.

Yep, buy a mini or some kind of loader first! Ask yourself how much time do you spend on clean up and how much time do you spend grinding on each job? A mini can cut clean up in half easy if not sooner so that time saved is more profit.

Good advice guys.
I have shopped for grinder attachments for mini's and I can't find one that'll grind as fast as my 252. I'd go to the 38 special route like Squish has.
So I'm thinking I could cut my 252 down and make it a 38 special , and store it on my trailer between the mini and chipper.
Still would need a grinder like Peter's to do the hard to access stumps.

Good one! Depends on your market of course, with bigger removals in easy access gardens like you tend to get in the US, I think you're right.
I still say get both, a bit of debt gets you out of bed in the morning, cures all minor ailments and aches and pains.
I agree with both but I understand the one at a time thinking too as that's what I did.

Back