Stop Using "Double Fisherman's Knot" to Refer to the "Poacher's Knot" AKA "Double Overhand Noose!"

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The Anchor Hitch is also prone to slipping, so it is advised that you use it with one half hitch (or a Clove Hitch) tied onto the standing part using ones working end.

I've never had an anchor move to any significant degree. I leave a ~3" tail, and by the time it's nested in nice, there's still plenty left. I have full confidence in it using it alone.

I've never had an anchor move to any significant degree. I leave a ~3" tail, and by the time it's nested in nice, there's still plenty left. I have full confidence in it using it alone.
Just be wary of cyclic loading. Tie a stopper knot like you might with a Blake's or Tautline hitch is another way to protect yourself with this hitch. I, personally, wouldn't trust an Anchor Hitch by itself wihtout a stopper or half hitch/clove hitch on standing part. I would trust a Buntline or Poacher's loops without any backup.

I'm not telling anyone to what to do. Okely dokely? I'm just imparting my decade worth of reading about, and using, knots.

I love all of you guys and gals and you are free to do whatever you're comfortable with! Thanks for participating in this thread!

Yeah, for years I thought the Alanis Morrisette song ‘Ironic’ contained the lyric ‘Like a death row hard-on two minutes too late’
Thought she was a saucy sort talking about erections in the electric chair and stuff.
Turns out the word was PARDON.
That's a 'mondegreen'.

Back