Stihl Jet Saw

I figure you'd need to wear welder/fireplace gloves to protect your forearm from the exhaust.

El Cheapo Chinese 090. Has the look and the sound, and boy is it funky, terrible.

The guy in the vid is humble but doesn't know a lot about saws. But he will when he's done fixing all the bugs in this one.

...I'm hooked, will that thing ever bed in and cut like it should?
The test cut was painful to watch. Sounds like he's planning to put it in a chainsaw mill to slab logs...good luck. His shoulders were slumped by the end but he's got hope.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That WAS painful to watch. I would’ve sold him an empty cardboard box cheaper than $450.

I wonder that, myself. There's a follow up video. I'll see if I can find it.

Here it is.

Damn, it's actually cutting. But I'd pull that govenor out. Then it would really rip.

Does that seem about right for an 090? It doesn't look that torquey like I hear the old saws were. I want to say my 661 would blow that thing away. But hey, it's cutting wood, and no major component replacements. I'd call that a win for a Chinese saw.

edit:
I'm gonna have to fire up my 026 to refresh my memory on how it's behaving poorly. His slipping clutch in the first vid reminds me of the 026. I've been fixated on the motor, but it might not be a motor problem... If I remember right anyway. Something easy to check anyhow.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don’t think 105cc=090. Anyway, it’s Chinese, made out of chinesium, from China, home of the Red Plague. Dood should have his man card revoked.

You can get a Chinese big bore cylinder to make it a 090, though I don't think China makes the big clutch which adds some torque.

That's pretty sad, from first to last. Fellow needs some experienced tuning advice to call on, at the very least...first word might well have been, "wtf were you thinking?" :D.

A whole lot of things it was easy to go wrong with when you put that much hp and torque in a small package. Add a bar longer than your truck bed to the mix...more than many could/can handle safely.

Reminds me of something Squerl once said when I was posting idle thoughts about upgrading from my 370 hp Jaguar to a 520 hp version...something like "once you get past 500 hp, it's mighty easy to run out of talent".

Running an 088 or 090 is rather like that.

Combining the volume of a 2stroke, with the awful whine of an electric. The perfect saw!
I'd say that's way over the awful electric whine. I saw a demo of such a small jet in a big RC show. That move the ears qute a bit! Less than the heavily moded saws, it isn't the same scale, but the electric saws would still look more like a whisper beside the micro-jet.

Back