Stihl 14" & 16" light bar

squisher

THE CALM ONE!!!!
Heh, I can't get these light bars through my Stihl dealer, even with the Stihl part numbers. My dealer made a call and said not available in Canada. So I'm wondering if any other Canucks use these bars and can get them?

If not I'm wondering if someone down south may be able to hook me up?

My dealer is getting on my nerves. I had a temper tantrum in there yesterday because they gave me three of the full safety chains on my new 200t's the other day and the one that came assembled fell apart(bar nut came undone) in the tree after 20mins of cutting. I hate being an asshole but it was time to let them know how they've been making me feel. Angry.

Why in the world would they stick a damned safety chain on a saw used by a pro .That doesn't make an ounce of sense .Don't they know any better ?

Well now they've made a lot of orange saws .I've got some that are neither Stihl nor Husqvarna . None however unless I missed them have safety chains . Those if I find them get hung on a nail to age a bit as if that would make them do better .If you get enough of them they're worth about 200 a ton I think .

Dunno what to tell you, Justin. It takes a certain personality type to own a saw shop, and it seems like that rarely includes excellent customer service or extensive knowledge of the product lines. Fortunately I'm in a larger market so I can just drive another 10 miles to the next shop (although we are still horribly under-represented with Husqvarna products). And with all the Stihl shops within 50 miles of me, I'm still buying my rolls of chain from Washington State via another forum member.

The last e-light bars I bought were $58 each plus tax. Last year when I bought two new climbing saws I just got the regular 14" bars because I didn't want to shell out an extra $100+ for the light bars.

Not so Skwerl.

When I order a saw from the dealer I've been bying from for the last 22 years, he remembers to put an Oregon chain and a GB bar on it, without me saying so.
If I , Richard or any of our guys come in with a saw that doesn't run, he'll drop whatever he is doing and get right on it.
He knows that if our saws don't run, we don't make any money.

That attitude is why I haven't started importing and selling bars and chain from the US ( I get them at ½ price of what they go for here at Bailey's). I don't want to get into a situation where I'm taking busines away from him, rather keep the good relationship we've cultivated over 2 decades.

Stig, notice that I used the word 'rarely'. I did not claim it was an absolute rule. Good dealers exist, but not in all areas. Lots of us don't have the same luxury as yourself.

I missed that distinction, I guess.
Quite a few a-holes around here as well, such as the Husky dealer on the opposite side of the street from my Stihl guy.
Having a good dealer is one of the things that keeps me loyal to Stihl.

There's a definate difference in dealers .One is three miles from my house and I doubt I'll ever grace his door step again .The other about 15 miles away treats me real good knowing for a fact I'll most likely never buy a new saw or anything in my life time other than parts .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The kicker for me was I had sent my wife in with the chains to exchange them for the non-safety and the same guy who I had given sh-t to for trying to put a safety chain on the 201t I had just bought a couple weeks ago, the same freaking guy, tells her that that's the only chain available in that size and sent her away with the safety chains still. Then I got her to go back the next day with one of my wore out chains and tell them this is what I wanted, and to mention to them that the saw they had assembled fell apart.

Well the reply to the saw coming apart was that it's the owners responsibility to double check. My wife phoned me up and said the guy was kind of rude to her. I was a couple of minutes away from the shop so I stopped by and let him have it. I told him if I have to double check a saw that he puts together than don't even bother ever putting one together for me again. I let him know I'd been buying saws their since I was 17, 19 years ago and his was the 1st one that fell apart. I also let him know that the reason I got my wife to mention it in the 1st place was so he'd be aware of what had happened. It was a freaking climbing saw that came apart in the tree. Bad enough to happen on the ground but this could've been very dangerous.

By the time I was done, the other customers in the store had physically moved away to the furthest corners they could get to.

Unfortunately for me this is the only game in town for Stihl or Husky. And they own the saw shop in one of the nearest city's too. Usually they are fairly well stalked which is nice, but all the old guys are gone now and the attitude of the new guys is getting to me a bit. I don't mind when people don't know to much about something, plenty of things I don't know much about, but don't try and pretend you're a freaking expert and talk in absolutes about things.

That's why I started this thread about the bars, I'm really interested to know if these bars are available in Canada or not.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If you're in there and remember man, that would be fantastic. I've got a bud who's down in Summerland that comes up quite a bit who could probably pick one up for me if they do have them. I just want to try one because I've heard so many on here mention they use them. I mean a 200t is light already but lighter is almost always better ime.

Cudos to you for reading the riot act at the saw shop, Squish. :wall: Based on your description, it seems like they deserved it. No excuse to be rude. Still, better check pur bar nuts just to be sure they are tight.

The Stihl shop i go to is indifferent to helpful. One good thing is that after seven or eight years they now remember me when on the phone to them. The Husky one, the only thing good about it is the big labrador that likes to play. They sell saws and I can order parts through them and wait, but they really know little practical information about saws. The owner can recite a whole publicity page for a new model from memory, it is impressive. :|:

Art works at a Stihl dealer in N.S. way east of you. You could ask him about Canada availability. I think his username here is stihl crazy

My 192 came with a light bar and I bent it right away. I ended putting the same bar as the 200T has on it so I wouldn't have to have another chain in my inventory.

I have the 16" virgin and I love it. Unlike a regular bar, IT can bend way outta wack and return to true. I couldn't believe it when I first (rookie crane operator!) saw it done.

I don't notice any weight difference.

Steve, I think you may be mistaken. The 192 comes with the narrow .043 gauge picco bar and chain, same as what is used on the pole pruner. Skwishey is talking about the e-light bars which run the same .050 gauge chain as the standard bars but the bars are hollowed out and then filled with lightweight composite material for weight reduction.

As a matter of fact I have one of those 12" 043 thou bars on one of my 200's .It certainly will bend though because Toms' boys bent the chit out of it before I got it .Took me some time to straighten it out .

It had some kind of goofy kind of anti kick back Stihl chain which I replaced with whatever kind Stumper said in Carlton brand .Now weather it's actually faster than Stihl lo pro in 050 is debatable .I can't remember chain numbers worth a hoot .

I checked in at the local dealer and no dice, squish. They gave me a funny look too. Went thru their list of bars and could not find such an animal. There were lighter bars for the larger saws, but nothing for the top handle, save the carving or pruning bars. Do you have more info about these bars?

Back