Stein Arbor Trolley Review - Full Video

Crazy. Have you worked with or around a mini? How would you rat the trolley for impact?

Nope no experience with a mini. If it's a big removal we're doing without a crane we cut cookies. If we had a mini I'd be in heaven.

The trolley is well made. The uprights are solid bar stock which I wasn't expecting. It's gusseted in all the right places and has a solid hoop at the bottom pivot point.

I'll beat on it sufficiently and report back but I'm not anticipating any weak points.

For cookies I'd like a minimum 5 additional bonner1040's! (or a mini)

I meant more the ground impact. Is it negligible?

I have a client just like yours Adam. A CClub with tennis courts and its a long ways to the chipper. The kind of place with no divets allowed, rope everything. You or anyone else with one would have no hesitation using the trolley in a situation like this?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think you could load it to where it would rut a putting green, or maybe a wet fairway. With some common sense in how you load it up I dont see a problem on even the most delicate terrain. Even at 1/2 capacity its still a beast compared to man-power.

Ground impact is negligible but if its very wet we just put boards down in the wet areas.
Thing is, if a man does 400 trips dragging brush, that reduces to about 95 trips with the AT therefore less ground impact.
400 trips carrying logs would be maybe 40 trips with the AT.

That makes it the cheapest most productive piece of kit you'll ever buy.
Even if it cost £2k it would still easily be worth it for me.

Sent from me to you using a shiny gadget.

I can't see putting any ruts or divots with it fully loaded with brush.

Bigger tires might help if you were concerned about ground impact but you'd want them to be pneumatic for sure. Then you're dealing with checking air or possibly getting a flat. The solid tires are the most balanced choice.

We were trying to think of possible improvements yesterday when using it. We considered a caster/large wheel up front too (which I think has been mentioned before) but we realized what a bad idea that would be after the first downhill. It's really well thought out all around.

Thought I'd just throw this into the mix.
It was a long drag on a slight upward slope.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/7VyJE9cA3Rg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

By not dragging the brush and doing less trips, the yard gets torn up less the dragging by hand. I still can't believe I used to do that...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ok, so I have written and posted a lot about the Arbor Trolley, and I would like to share some specific thoughts after having it a while longer.

First let me offer some disclosure. Some of the products I review and produce video content for are provided to me at no cost. The Arbor Trolley is NOT one of these items. I purchased it at full price from TreeStuff (less 5% ARBORIST discount of course). I am in no way, nor have I been compensated by Stein or Reg.

When I first saw the AT I immediately liked the idea of it and decided I would 'make' my own. Well, the truth is I am not a fabricator nor did I ever have the time. A year + passed and I still hadnt 'made' one, so I bit the bullet and bought it. As anyone that has read this and the other threads knows, I immediately fell head over heels for it.

I am and always have been a gear junky, evidenced by the thousands of dollars I spend on random 'stuff' each year. I have bought tons of ropes, pulleys, rigging doodads, cords, tools etc. While many of them make my day to day a little easier, more convenient, or just a bit more stylish, nothing I ever bough compares to the AT. A new rope can be GREAT, a pulley can make my rigging so much BETTER or a little faster. Different things save bits of effort here and there, and there are lots of products that i just LOVE, but none has had measurable an impact like the AT.

When I started doing treework I was on a crew with a 6" chipper, an 80's chip truck and a either a $50 dolly from Harbor Freight or the cheapest wheelbarrow money could buy. Dont get me wrong, cut a 20" oak down in a back yard and wheelbarrow is revolutionary compared to carrying rounds out by hand. Where I work now we have 2 standard ballcarts which are obviously superior to a wheelbarrow or a Harbor Freight dolly. The AT eclipses all of those tools by a power of ten easily.

Nothing, in a similar realm of cost except maybe a chainsaw, offers the same return or has such an impact on production as the AT. After working with one, I literally CANNOT imagine working without it. At the end of the work day my body feels BETTER, because of the AT. Generating and removing tree debris is fundamental to what we do and just like I wouldn't cut a 18" log without a chainsaw, I wouldn't consider moving it without the Arbor Trolley.

There are plenty of jobs where we wouldntt take a traditional ballcart because it is a pain, its heavy, and its huge. The AT fits almost anywhere and goes EVERYWHERE.

I truly regret every day I have done tree work without the AT since first seeing it. It might not be for everyone, if you use a crane everyday maybe the AT isnt for you. BUT, if you regularly move logs or brush of any size without a machine, you are remiss by not having an AT.

The ArborTrolley does not disappoint!

Good post. 'Bout time big Green ponied up for one, aint it???:/:

I feel the same way about the Dingo (mini), but I did have to work through the process of weeding out the difficult terrain issues prior to the purchase, then wait for the right deal on a tracked unit that fit our kit

I wish I would have never sold my Simplicity Tractor Mower, PTO front/rear, mowing deck, tiller, Kohler 25hp, towed like a dream. Damn.
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/zdLKTxPvexo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I extended my stakes for flat ground and light brush with PVC pipe, getting a slip over extension that gains me a foot.

Painted my stakes. Would be great if there was a place to store them on the AT so that they don't accidentally get seperated in transport, or whatnot. Maybe there is a place to simply weld on a bit of pipe that is just bigger that the OD of the stake.

Nice color on the Morbark.

Whatever happened with the messy fuel tank issue?

ypuneguj.jpg

One strip off plywood on an angle on the bottom. PVC extensions work well, along with painting the stakes a more viz color.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Lighter than a wheelbarrow, barely lifting handle, as the load is mostly balanced on the axle.

I have other pics on my old phone (pre Tapatalk). we pruned two neglected apples, stacked all the brush with the extensions, put on the orchard ladder, 192t, ms361. Hand saws, pole pruners, etc, into one load. Choked brush with a rope or two, rolled off AT at trailer, then rolled off whole from trailer. No lifting.

Usind a third or so piece of scrap plywood on ground, rolled an English ivy tarp burrito onto the wood. Picked up one end and slid plywood over the stake pockets, making a flat cart. Rolled it out to trailer and slid in without lifting the heavy awkward ivy burrito, then offloaded similarly, rolling it down to bonfire pit.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Back