Stand Up Paddling

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I bought my first kayak last year, a Field & Stream Shadow Caster......https://www.fieldandstreamshop.com/...yak-15fnsufsshdwcstrkpsk/15fnsufsshdwcstrkpsk. It is stable enough to stand up in while fishing.

I bought another kayak last week, the Eagle Talon (its little brother), and it is NOT stable enough to stand up in!
https://www.fieldandstreamshop.com/...yak-15fnsufsgltlnstkypsk/15fnsufsgltlnstkypsk

Tree smith do you do a lot of fishing in your kayaks? How do you like kayak fishing?

Tree smith do you do a lot of fishing in your kayaks? How do you like kayak fishing?

I like it, Cory. It all depends on the situation. I haven't fished out of them much at all...been too busy working. Taking the new one out Saturday on a short river run if all goes well. I tried it out the other day, and it is definitely not as stable as the Shadow Caster. I use my canoe if my wife or daughter is going along. Biggest thing is, if you hang a very good fish in canoe or kayak, he can drag you around a bit until you get him in the boat. I like kayak fishing just fine, though I prefer to stand a good bit while I fish, and the Eagle Talon requires that you remain firmly seated! I stand in the canoe a good bit as well.

Biggest thing is, if you hang a very good fish in canoe or kayak, he can drag you around a bit until you get him in the boat.

I think that's what attracts a lot of folks to it!

Sounds like fun, Treesmith, don't work too much, get out on that water!

I went for a decent sup session yesterday. It was fun. About a hour into it i found I was starting to find a groove, less wobbly and more relaxed. Didn't fall in atleast!

I bet it's fun... I'd like to do it on a comfortable, overcast day.

I really hate heat and extended exposure to direct sunshine in my old age.

Worst part was paddling down the lake and some nude guy lying on a beach stands up and gives me the full Monty. Ffs, keep that sh-t to yourself man. To top it off he got out his binos and was staring out at me and the wife. F-cking weirdo. He got flipped the bird and swore at for his efforts. He's like five feet off a popular walking trail, lots of families and the such, near constant people biking, running, and walking by. but besides that it was a good time.

. About a hour into it i found I was starting to find a groove, less wobbly and more relaxed.

Yup, I find the same thing, you get into a groove. It's a water-based workout so getting into a rhythm/groove is key and happens fairly readily it seems. When it's all working well, it's virtually all core and legs, not much arms.

Oh, and being water-based, it is kind of a gentle workout that sneaks up on you after awhile. You aren't pounding yourself like with some other workouts but oh yeah you get worked mad hard if you go hard and you'll be shot afterwards.

Or if you don't feel like going hard, you go out and chill and float and mess with different positions on the board etc etc. Lotta peeps do yoga on sups, and from the little I've tried of that, it is extremely difficult.

I'm looking forward to going when the lake is just a tad bit warmer. Then I think it'll be fun to learn just how stable the thing really is.

Yah I didn't get worked to bad. Only about a 1.5hr of paddling though, so not that long. And didn't go at it like an animal or anything.

Just cuz children in Denmark get to freely view a stranger's genitals don't mean we roll like that over here.

I've noticed.

Uptight bunch of die hard Christians.

Ever noticed that we are all naked under our clothes?

So what is the big deal.

Just for the chance of pissing you off, let me remark that most of the people down your way, I'd prefer not to see in the nude.

Nude obesity is not my thing:lol:

In my short lived trucking days I may or may not have seen a stripper or two and I may or may not have offered them money to put their clothes back on... :)

I'm no christian but yah I prefer not to see other guys junk. And normally I'd just look the other way and whatever. But when the guy sees us, gets up and prominently displays it and then checks us over with binos. Yah you're getting the bird and called a f-cking weirdo.

Mid 90s today with a higher heat index. Did a big paddle and laughed at the heat, perfect conditions. Seeing lots of schools of big fish (menhaden) and cool stuff all over the place. Lol, found a fresh unopened bag of tortilla chips floating out in the middle...delicious!

I s'pose I've converted anyone here who is convertible, by now. But juuuuuust in case someone out there is wondering about stand up paddling, whoah, it is so cool that it's hard to believe that something so simple and basic can be so engrossing. Give it a whirl.

I bet it's fun... I'd like to do it on a comfortable, overcast day.

I really hate heat and extended exposure to direct sunshine in my old age.

I know what you mean, MB. But heat goes away cuz you jump in the drink whenever you get hot. I wear a boonie-style hat that does a great job of keeping the sun at bay. Plus long sleeve UV sun shirt.

Reg, you over on the BC coast plus lots of lakes around there- You should get out there and paddle and it'll help big time to get your thoughts sorted out. Guaranteed.

Low tech, rhythmic connection to nature. Plus, if a person is overworked/pressed for time, SUP'g will maximize your time on the water compared to most boats because set up/take down time is next to nothing.

Plus it is great to do with the family, and great to do solo too.

I tend toward this kind of hat....

Attachments

• Touch a Truck 4-30-16 resized  (2) RESZD 3.jpg
    Touch a Truck 4-30-16 resized (2) RESZD 3.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 16
Back