Should they have cut this tree from the top down instead of felling?

Robert P

TreeHouser
They fell this tree against a lean on a residential property - they specifically mention the risk of hitting the house, power lines and a car. Instead of risking the felling going wrong why not cut the tree down a piece at a time as I've seen done in other videos?

Is it all about saving time or is there a reason you can see why it was better to fell this tree?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
They didn't "fell" it.
They pieced it out and flopped the stem.
They call it felling - whatever you want to call it, why is it better to do what they did instead of taking it down piece by piece after having voiced concerns about hitting something?

I don't get piecing it out.
Looks like the landing zone was big enough.
Set a retaining line and pull it over with a skid steer.

I'll Take one apart like that to minimalise clean up of the brush. Less mess in a smaller zone. And also to reduce the weight I need to pull out of lean. I feel he should have just thrown or lowered that goofy fork up top just because. Ive had stuff break off like that and tiddly wink across a yard. His guy running the puller was pretty close to the LZ IMO.
His boring and release cut was un-necessary IMO. he had plenty of stem to wedge and by making a regular back cut, you can use the puller progressively to stand the stick up and over the COG. At least he used wedges.

The glaring Dutchman in opening foreground does not seem intentional, or even acknowledged?
Hard to weigh and measure this without good starting pictures, of original chessboard;
but would seem that some of the discarded weight force was pulling to target?
Or twin blocked light to make backweight?
i do favor rear backfield of most leveraged control to be scheduled in widest part of tree, making the hinge fold line in less than full width.
This puts the side to side controls most extreme leverage positions to the outside of the hinge pivot, ushering greater control to squared fall i think.
i kinda would have used the dawgs to pivot saw in face, and help alignment.
Nice high fiber pull tho! And centered.
Backcut a bit low to me.

Cutting down the tree piece by piece is a great way to avoid damage to property and save time. Doing this is usually the best way to do this, and it can be safer than felling the tree, depending on the property and situation. Professional tree services usually recommend this method because it reduces the risk of the tree falling wrong.

What an awkward first post.

IMG_4869.jpeg

Yep.
Remember that Beech I wrote about 'round x-mas time.
2000$ bid from an arborist company, no cleanup.
Took me 4 minutes to drop it as it had head lean.

Back