Set Throwline With A Drone - Stupid Idea?

I like the 1.75 zing it too. Have some concerns that 12 oz won't be heavy enough to bring the bag down, so I got 14 and 16 just in case.

Drone doesn't seem too practical. Maybe better than training squirrels or monkeys but not much.

Drone doesn't seem too practical. Maybe better than training squirrels or monkeys but not much.
For setting lines over 150-200, i (Edit) can't think of a better way out here. Because shooting a line accurately that high is one thing, getting it to run and come down over all the lichens in the wet is another. So many potential deflections and snags too with old growth fir. With a drone you could look at your screen and see exactly the crotch you are flying through.

Those huge west coast trees do create many unique problems. For more normal trees and what most tree workers have to deal with, the APTA rocks. In these, a 12oz bag generally comes back down if you let it. If it looks like it could get stuck, I will add more air and shoot past the target, if possible. This will add substantial force, through momentum, and pre-pulled line, as the bag makes its way back down.

A claim of 220’ to 300’+ is made by this manufacturer ... at $599 it isn’t cheap ! I’m sure a serviceable unit can be fashioned by back yard Bobby for a small pct of the list price ... :D FBA19426-33A1-4614-80BE-0C436D8F3632.jpeg

For setting lines over 150-200, i (Edit) can't think of a better way out here. Because shooting a line accurately that high is one thing, getting it to run and come down over all the lichens in the wet is another. So many potential deflections and snags too with old growth fir. With a drone you could look at your screen and see exactly the crotch you are flying through.
You're climbing very specialized trees at that point. Not many out there are going to have such issues. And even with the ability to see the crotch you are flying through, you're still going to have problems at that height. I'm all for innovation and you have lead the way in many areas, so while I hope the best for the idea, I'd be surprised if it's going to work in a way that is worth the trouble. And I welcome a good surprise here.

I seriously doubt it would become mainstream either. But I can see in hindsight lots of timesaved had we had one on site last week. And, they are incredibly precise when regularly calibrated

Reg C hi ! Can’t speak to requirements in your locale but here in wonderful NY (and most other states) if the drone is .55lbs or more it must be registered and a fee of $150 paid ... If you aren’t electronics-minded and have the knowledge to bypass the electronics the drone can be shut down remotely via gps ... The FAA rules and regulations you need to know to keep your drone use legal - https://www.businessinsider.com/drones-law-faa-regulations-2017-7 ... similar rules apply to r/c helis ... homemade air-powered throwbag launcher (@150psi) will get ya up 175ft+ with 14oz throwbag and reasonable accuracy IF line is “layed” in a bucket ... Can always buy a daisy wrist-rocket from harbor freight and use a muzzle-loader ball and fishing line:) ... one caveat for the guys that say piss on registering ... FAA can fine you up to $27,500 for civil , $250000 for criminal !

Last edited:
Nice thread, thx for posting,

Dave what do you use to charge your apta.

Yeah, the big shot will get it done, but the APTA can go higher with a heavier weight, pulling a heavier line. It also will not lose power in cold weather or from having it charged for a few minutes while trying to find just the right angle.

My home-made, cobbled together home-depot bought parts “air launcher” will shoot a 14oz throwbag over 170’ with 150psi in the firing-chamber ... The pipe is rated for 300Psi ... Given superior materials and a better trigger mechanism (right now using ball valve that needs to be pulled down briskly by hand to “release” the air-pressure) combined with a superior way to pay out the line 200-250’ should be doable ... merry Christmas 🎁

Yeah, the big shot will get it done, but the APTA can go higher with a heavier weight, pulling a heavier line. It also will not lose power in cold weather

Yup, doncha hate that when you forget or are otherwise unable to pre heat the big shot in cold weather?

Dave, the bike pump sounds good. Just curious, could you fill it with the air in your air brake truck, or would that be too much/too fast?

That would work fine, Cory, just as long as you had a gauge on the line. Do you know how much the brake tank psi is?

Frankie, a butterfly valve is a huge improvement over a ball valve.

Last edited:
That would work fine, Cory, just as long as you had a gauge on the line. Do you know how much the brake tank psi is?

Frankie, a butterfly valve is a huge improvement over a ball valve.
Aren’t butterfly valves used primarily with fluid ? I’m thinking a more along the lines of a “powder charge” using .22 caliber loads ... have to look into the feasibility of building one ... sure “wood” be nice to load a .22 charge aim and pull the trigger

No. I have a butterfly valve on mine and it is a substantial improvement over the ball valve I had in it before.

Air is a fluid. I think we talked about this when this one guy was here trying to sell a deathtrap version. Butterfly valves are used to isolate lines, and originally were a cheaper option for larger lines, although engineers have also made versions that are stupid expensive and yet still leak by. They are much smaller, so there's that.

Ball valves hold much more reliably, but are far more expensive as you go up in size. They do have a smaller size tho, and their flow problems are well known. To solve this, they came up with full port ball valves, which flow the same as pipe.

No Ive seen a big shot hit 230 on a sequoia dead on. I cant imagine it having a problem anywhere. The initial shot with spiderwire and then dragging up a normal 1.75 and then the rope.

Aren’t butterfly valves used primarily with fluid ? I’m thinking a more along the lines of a “powder charge” using .22 caliber loads ... have to look into the feasibility of building one ... sure “wood” be nice to load a .22 charge aim and pull the trigger
I actually have a glorified cap gun that might launch a weight... a 9mm PAK blank firing pistol that has a little cone shaped flare launcher that screws on.
Probably a horrible idea that could possibly result in a lost finger or burning the throw line or something.

Yeppers Jonny , Stick with air pressure for sure ! It “wood” be nice to have a trigger or push - button op instead of having to quickly pull down a ball-valve , most likely you would achieve superior accuracy ... I shall visit the local consumers beverages and begin research at once ! :)

No Ive seen a big shot hit 230 on a sequoia dead on. I cant imagine it having a problem anywhere. The initial shot with spiderwire and then dragging up a normal 1.75 and then the rope.
That’s a great idear using spider-wire for the initial shot ... 200yrd of hi vis yellow 50lb test should do nicely ! An old rod and saltwater reel should allow the line to pay out - hopefully with minimal “birds nest” :)

Back