Throwline birdnest

Treeaddict

Treehouser
I am under the impression that it’s a good idea to completely stretch out and repack the throw line back into the cube every month or 2 to get any twists out of it. I’m using some model of Samson yellow line. It’s used avg of 2 times per week and is 7 months old. It has started tangling more and more as time goes on it seems. Hoping the untwisting and repacking helps?

My favorite throwline was Zing-It. The original 1.8mm line would begin to birdsnest after about a year, when the coating wore off. Also it was so skinny it would cut my hands when trying to pull it. I went to the 2.2mm Zing-It and both issues went away. I was getting 5 years out of a throwline. They may have better line these days, but it would be hard to improve on 2.2mm Zing-It.

Mine looks like it has a twisted memory and coils on itself leaving the bucket and makes knots. I've been meaning to pull it all out and reflake it in, but it's hard to get motivated for that til the next time I send a clump of line up a tree :^/

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Did some receipt digging. I have the 2.2 Zingit. I guess it’s the best so don’t try the rest from what you guys are saying.

The new stretching between trees is something I didn’t know about until many throws later Would have certainly paid off to know that early on.

The worst is when you see it clumped up but it’s a good shot so you pull your climb line knowing the force it gonna set that clump real nice and tight 😂

always have more than one cube and line with weights set up grass hopper. You can pull an untangled line in to pull your rope up with. then the tangle won't set into a tight knot you will have to deal with. I keep 3-4 throw line set ups in each truck. You get one stuck, pull out the next one.
You make money climbing and cutting, not fuggin about with 35.00 string.

Last edited:
Maybe I'll get a cube as a backup to my backup. My handthrow stuff is in a makeup bag, and my apta stuff in a 2.5G bucket. I also have a shit line that's in a disposable plastic bag somewhere, but that line's barely worth using. I've come close to getting both my good lines stuck. A cheap cube would be compact and ready to go, and since it would be a backup, I wouldn't have to worry much about wear.

Forgot, I have another good line in my truck setup, but that's a bit of a hassle to get to, and I prefer to keep that stuff segregated.

I like the idea of setting another untangled line to pull the rope over. Current setup is (2) lines, (3) bags, and (1) cube. Plans are in the works to add to that collection. I really love my cube though. Unfold, load the 12oz, other end attached to the 16oz sitting in the inner pouch, shoot, isolate (if needed), repack, fold for next time.

I use a tarp, seems to work ok.

But lately I've noticed more frequent tangling, I didn't know throw line tends to tangle easier as they age

I didn’t either Corey until I experienced it. I think it’s the coating getting worn, pliability of worn rope, and a twisting of the fibers as it’s laying. You just fold the line up in the tarp when finished?

I’ll occasionally pull the whole line out and tie one end off to something and pull like I’m almost trying to break it from the other end. Seems to reset the lay in the rope braid. Doesn’t seem to tangle to bad for a while. Twice in the last month I’ve broken my dynaglide from it getting tied around branches in the tree. Both times I hooked it to the mini to do so.

I tested kicking the bucket, just after having cautiously coiled the line in it. That sets you in a good mood for a moment.
When the coiling issues are getting on my nerves, I pull the line in the garden around 3 -4 trees, lacing between them and adding an other one once the line's end lives one. The line is straightened, little bends go away and the twists are pushed toward the end, free to rotate.
I use the throwline the least as I can and usualy that saves me time and angryness. The last time, I got a bird nest up in the tree with the big shot. Just a busy day when I planed a quick climb to set a pull line. Not so quick at all actually. :X

You just fold the line up in the tarp when finished?

I flake it onto the tarp when finished and then fold up the tarp around it. For next use I unfold tarp and tie on throw bag and shoot. Works well most of the time. Same idea as using a cube but the tarp has no sides and takes a bit longer to fold up compared to collapsing a cube.

Though it usually works well, lately I'd been thinking about the fishing reel concept, ya know like a basic spinning reel, flip the bail and shoot and then afterwards reel in the slack. I think some type of fishing reel/throw line set up has been heavily discussed previously at the House but maybe that was for in-tree use with shorter lengths as opposed to 200' of line for shooting from ground to tree top.

I keep 2 handled tarps in the truck as multipurpose tools.

For ropes/ throwlines.

For debris.

For shielding, like for a window when grinding.

To keep grinding/ chipping-onsite debris contained.

To pack between saws like packing peanuts, when mufflers are cool. I have 10 saws packed, plus the GTA 26.

I infrequently use tarps; tarps and cubes are synergistic, not interchangeable, imo.
My longest throwline is 250', shortest around 70'.

A lightweight, multipurpose tarp covering native brush can mean not having to cut and clean as much, and in another application helpful around protecting delicate "keeper" landscaping.

I have the mesh tarp with handles sold previously through an arb retailer. Light and strong.

I've been thinking about packing a tarp. More specifically, a bunch of cat food bags glued together to make a tarp. I'd like something for the second shot+ that's quicker to flake line on, and keep the line off twigs and brush.

Back