Sailing

I remember reading about Robin Lee Graham sailing around the world solo (almost) as a kid. National Geo. covered the story.

Peter Jenkins walk across America was covered by Nat. Geo. also. I read the book he wrote and it is quite good. The sailor wrote a book also.

Its a looong story and involves prayer and God...so the skeptics among us need to suspend it for a moment haha :lol:.
My hubby has written an account of her history, if you all want I can attach it and you can read it at your leisure rather than cluttering up the thread here as I am sure there are lots of stories still to be told among us.
In a nutshell though, the money came when it was needed, loans from unexpected sources, hubby's fishing business, chartering, and my paycheque when needed once I entered the story!
It took him 18 months from the start of the build to make the maiden voyage, and pretty much he (then us) did what was needed as it was needed and when the funds were available.

It's all good Butch, we respect each others position.
It's still a good read, regardless :)

Agreed, that is completely amazing, fo sho!!

Kevin, my buddy and I were just talking about that very thing for SUPs. Wind is kinda the bane of SUPs. Ya know, if you're thinking about it, someone else has already done it, and posted it!

I bet a nickel there aren't a lotta sailors here...

Never underestimate da House!

Sailing and trees? That's a good life :drink:

Cory have you seen those hydrofoils? Kenny did 32 miles in 2hours 15 minures with only a paddle, and the wind at his back.

Seen em plenty online and seen a lot of em in FL used by kite boarders. Wild stuff!! Wish I was young again!

That is ridiculous speed on Kenny. Must be so sick to be traveling that fast without a motor

Last edited:
I saw the America's Cup hydrofoils LIVE and in person in Bermuda.
Now I'm a cruiser, not a racer, I like to get to and from the destination without much drama...but HOLEE SHIT was it impressive to see thmn race right in front of you.
Seeing it on TV doesn't do justice to the speed and knife edge performance.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Got out on the water for the first time this year. Sailboat madness has gripped me tightly in its clutches again. I've got the bug , and I've got it bad!

@Bermy
I'd love to read your husband's account of the boat , somehow missed that post initially.

Good on ya, mate!

Lotta sailing in ME, as you know.

My wife used to work for a rich crazy guy, he decided he was going to become a sailor so he went to ME and bought a quarter million dollar (30 y ago) Hinkley sailboat. We got the factory tour later on, it was amazing, serious craftsmen.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
There's a Hinkley in the harbor down the road that I lust after, beautiful boats! Not in the budget though of course, so I'm exploring options for more affordable cruisers.

Currently trying to figure out how to get some experience off shore instead of just going for it. Open to suggestions from those in the know of such things.

You do any sailing in AK, Austin?

You can go crew on a boat, i forgot the website that lists it, I'll see if i can find it. You might need to go take a few courses tho

There's a Hinkley in the harbor down the road that I lust after, beautiful boats! Not in the budget though of course, so I'm exploring options for more affordable cruisers.

Currently trying to figure out how to get some experience off shore instead of just going for it. Open to suggestions from those in the know of such things.

You do any sailing in AK, Austin?
No ruel, I'm not a sailor but it certainly is interesting. Our winds in the southeast passages are too fickle and irregular for consistent sailing. Most of the sailboats I see are under power cruising with the sails rolled up.

I remember on our honeymoon to Maine seeing a number of Hinckley's and it always has stuck with me. We may have even stopped by the boat yard where they are made... it was many years ago.

Austin...the word is furled, not "rolled up".
Not a sailor, indeed.
:P:D
Yeah, I realized that afterwards but was hoping it would slip by un-noticed..........................not at this place. :/: One of my old bosses would say when we saw a nice sail boat in the harbor or motoring along, "that's a nice boat, if you cut the mast off" ;)

Back