Sad sad sad...6 year old killed in chipping accident

rbtree

Climbing Up
Well, it was not really an "accident", but was surely an accident waiting to happen.
http://www.imperfectparent.com/topics/2012/04/10/6-year-old-accidentally-killed-.in-wood-chipper/

A landscaper had three of his kids helping him work. The picture makes it appear that the truck and maybe the chipper are his, not rented...

Feel awful for the whole family, even the dad who let his son use the chipper, which of course is far from`acceptable. But he now has to live with it for the rest of his life.

Total morselization... I bet they did need counselors for the family...

I believe in no children on the jobsite, ever, unless they sit in a truck.

Don't want to read it. Couple of weeks ago my 6 year old son was on a job of mine helping pick up sticks and. Take them to the chipper. To me it seems natural that they should help. Everybody knows they are there and watch out for them.

Maybe I should rethink......

My kids go to work all the time. No 6 year old feeding a chipper though. You have kids on a job site, they have to stay in vision and follow instructions or they don't get to go. Parental discretion and attentiveness is a must. A 6 year old feeding a chipper like that would be out of the question!

Maybe if you feel that the kids have been informed and are old enough to understand the limits that have been placed on them, like, "Don't go near that". They have a curiosity, however, and it is hard to keep an eye on them every second. I used to let the grammar school kids come into my shop on their way home from school, but one day I had shut off the jointer and while the knives were still revolving, one bright eyed lad got the idea to pick up a stick and try and jam it into the cutterhead. :O Fortunately I saw what he was trying to do before accomplishing his goal. I don't let them in anymore after that, too unpredictable.

Not very often I am comfortable bringing Trevin to work. He has drug brush before but never when the chipper was running. He likes to come but like when I loaded logs the other day he had to stay in the truck. That article made me sick to my stomach

I just heard about that this morning. It's beyond awfull. I have a 7 year old that helps me do work around the house, never near a machine like a chipper. It makes you think about how something so simple could end up in such tragedy. sometimes I worry about that when I take my daughter climbing. we go up some pretty big sticks and set up hammocks. I feel like we are being safe, but I climb everyday, I know what to do if a knot is slipping or to pay attention to not side load carabiners etc..I'm watching her of course but you can't watch the whole time, you have to trust that they listen and learn and are being carefull.

No disrespect to those with kids here but kids aren't smart yet. They do chase balls into the street and they want to do everything Dad does whether it's safe or not. I don't think they have any place on a job site.

there is a road safety add here about passing school buses and driving 40k in a school zone, they use a phrase... "children are erratic and unpredictable"...even having been told about the dagers of traffic, you can't totally ensure they will do the predictable thing all the time.

Shocking and awful accident regardless

there is a road safety add here about passing school buses and driving 40k in a school zone, they use a phrase... "children are erratic and unpredictable"...even having been told about the dangers of traffic, you can't totally ensure they will do the predictable thing all the time.

Shocking and awful accident regardless

That could be said about a lot of adults as well .......

Back