Rope hockling

Gypo

TreeHouser
Climbing firs and girdling for the BLM. Anywhere from 60 to 130 ft high. New hyperclimb rope that I've been using about a month. It's a 250' rope that I washed when new, it's milked about 5'. I've run michoacan, knut, and currently trying a VT. Rope hockes bad on decent if I don't get the free end off the ground, it's coming out of a bag that it's flaked into.

Any ideas? Only cure to get the end off the ground? Different hitch? Different flaking method?

Using MRS as I am doing a lot of transfers via grapple hook. I'm also using an adjustable ring and ring friction saver if that matters.

Never used this much rope MRS to have this problem. Maybe pull the tail up and drop it before I descend?

Thanks all.

Leave the rope on rope systems in the past. Get a Unicender, forget these problems and enjoy a superior MRS experience in all conditions, including wet ropes, or even those saturated in heavy sap.

Also, fwiw, I don't flake my ropes into their bags, I just stuff, works great for me.

I've used the terms synonymously, but if I had to note a difference, a proper flake is more loosely laid with more room around the rope, while stuffing is just shoving the line in a container with little regard to form.

Back