Rope lengths

Treeaddict

Treehouser
What length lanyards are you using (the most)? Not counting a steel core flipline in this scenario.

Also, what’s your shortest climb line?

Safeies I always have two 8's on my saddle w Gibbs one each side w old school non lockers , main two climblines are a 100' and a 150' , have several short hanks which are handy in smaller work also for extensions base tying either of the main two if needed

I typically will always have my 20' lanyard on my harness for most climbs. However, if I'm climbing a smaller tree, I'll use my 7' lanyard. Using the longer one can sometimes end up being cumbersome and organizing all of it after each use so that it doesn't get in my way can be annoying; especially if I've used close to or all of its full length. However, I like being able to use it as a second line to maximize comfortable work positioning and so that my secondary TIPs aren't limited to what's immediately around me, giving me more options and better angles. It's also reassuring to know that, in situations where I'm by myself, such as when I'm climbing recreationally, should my primary TIP or climbing line become compromised or fail, or should I somehow lose access to it, , and if I don't have spurs on (I can't just down climb the stem), I could potentially use my long lanyard to get down through the canopy using a MRS, pulling the rope down and connecting lower and lower until I'm at the lowest branch. At that point, if the ground is 10' or less from that branch, I could continue MRS or, if it's 20' or greater, I would use my prusik with a ring to connect my lanyard into an SRT setup and come back for all of my gear once I've been able to go back home and grab another rope. I'm not entirely sure how something like that would happen, but you never know, right?

Anyways, the rope length I use the most is a 200' line. I have two 75' ropes for small trees (I cut a 150' rope in half).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I tell ya, I was sick of cycling a 150’ climb line for a 30-40’ tall tree. I also have a 200’ for the tall ones. I’ll get a 250’ at some point for our largest trees.

I just got 200’ Hyperclimb hot with splices one each end. I made a 100’ climb line with a splice, a 20’ lanyard with a splice, and have an 80’ unspliced climb line.

I’m hoping the 20’ lanyard is in the sweet spot. The 13’ was too short and the 27’ too long for most typical activities. They have their place though.

250' is almost always way, way too long.

For a long time I frequently used a 120'. 60' redirect height for a base-tie pruning rope (lots of pruning for me is canopy raising and deadwooding, whereas storm damage would need more height), and 120-125' working height for SRS/ SRT removals, trunk-choked, still able to hit the ground (with stretch) and for something to be attached, in order to pull up to me.

Rope lanyards: 12', 15', 18', 20', 24', 40' (really!).
Rope lengths: 50', 100', 150', 200', 225', 300', 400', 600' (really!!).
Cable cored fliplines (I know you eliminated these from consideration; but anyway, for fun): 12', 15', 18', 22', and a very seldom used 30'.

Last edited:
Sean, yeah the 250’ would only be for our largest trees. It would get me enough height as well as allow some level of redirect. The 130’ poplar I recently did could have used another 10’ on the 200’ and that was a skinny canopy. I also have a 120’ poplar with a very wide canopy as well as a 100’ beech with a sprawling canopy. It would be useful in rec climbs as well. I’d never do such a large tree for a customer at this point as I’ve no iron to move the heavy branches and trunk.

@Treeaddict, if you want to SRT into 250 plus foot tall PNW old growth conifers, you need in excess of 500 feet of rope. And moving around in the crowns of these same trees, 40 feet of lanyard is very helpful.

Obviously, I determine what the task will require, and select from the arsenal as dictated. Hauling around more lanyard or rope than needed is quite counterproductive.

That’s quite the load out Burnham! Impressive. For the record, I’m glad you included the wire core. Honestly, I didn’t know they manufactured wire cores in such lengths.

I think I've settled into 200' as an srs rope, and 120' for mrs. I have a bunch of shorts from ends collections I've bought for short climbs. No idea on the lanyard. I've been thinking about it lately. I want something longer than I've got. I have a short of mercury I want to measure and try out. I need to pull it out of the truck, and see what I'm dealing with. I'm reluctant to shorten rope til I'm absolutely sure it's what I want, and I'm seldom *absolutely* sure, so they end up staying longer. I'm hoping it's 30'. I'm thinking that's the length I want, and mercury's so slender, it'll be easy to deal with til I'm sure.

Lanyards I have a 15 ish footer in 11mil for pruning and 2 wire cores. One 10' and one 18', the 10' being good for about 90% of trees I cut.

Climblines I've got a 200' that sees the most action but I've been using a 100' piece a good bit where it's applicable. Also have a 150' with a hitchclimber setup in one of those torpedo bags for crane work. All yale 11.7 variants

@lxskllr John, a word of caution on small diameter lanyards. They are somewhat harder to grip than a thicker rope, and thus your hands can tire out more quickly. Of course, it depends to a degree just what sort of methodology you have developed for using your lanyards. For example, I would often use two lanyards, one rope and one cable core. If I was on spurs, and alternating lanyards up through some limbs, using a 10mm Beeline lanyard was downright painful in short order. I gave that one away :).

Yea, that's a good point Burnham. Right now, I'm using 16strand(arbormaster), and I like that a lot. What I hope to gain with the skinny rope is more length for the same footprint/weight. It may not workout for the reason you mention, or something else I haven't foreseen. I already have the rope though, so it only costs time to find out.

"Skinny rope" yep Burnham is right , to avoid that I use the HH and handle Ascender with two small pulleys on my less than 1/2"ers

Last edited:
If you are just lanyarding in for cutting, its one thing, but if you are hand-gripping the thing (not foot ascender) for climbing, or using as a flipline, bigger is your friend.

I'd like a 3/4" flip-line. Bigger fir removals would warrant the weight, and I'd use a small climbing rope, maybe, to balance it out.

@Altissimus why stick to non-lockers? Normalcy bias?

I want a ⅝" treemaster flipline. I have the rope. I just need to decide I want to cut it and splice a snap on one end.

The problem is it's a rope end, but kind of a useful length @ 96'. If I take anything off, it won't be good for much aside from lanyards, or maybe something like a deadeye. I haven't used it yet, but... Kinda hoping wesspur puts up a 30' length, or something like that. No problem shortening something like that.

edit:
Just checked, and they have a 68' length. That's tempting.

Yeah. Splice the tree master. 5/8ths is my favorite. I have had WesSpur splice my last couple. Tight eye on each end. Then I just use a pear shaped link to join the snap and the flip line. Mine are usually about 20+ feet. So with some splices, tight eye or crown, you would easily get two.

for pruning or smaller removals i like a 7-8 ft lanyard 12,7mm double braid. for larger removal or lots of flipline work i like 5/8“ double braid 15 ft, spliced on both ends so i can clip into both splices for maximum length or use both sides for a third tie in. i have longer ones but ussualy get by with this length, sometimes i have to use my climbline for the first couple of steps.

my longest rope is 180 ft when i need more i tie ropes together with an edk.
i really enjoy 80-120 ft ropes for removals or top tied for pruning.

200ft spliced for DRT, 180ft no splice for SRT thinking of cutting it down to 80-100ft and using my spliced line when I need more
lanyard(s)
wirecore 10ft (if its too short im setting a line to get into the tree and having my other climber do it, I have massive trees)
10' (cut ISC snap off spliced eye, made into an adjustable frictionsaver)
12', confetti, given to me a while back, dont have the heart to use it and eventually cut it due to it being so rare
15' for 3 or 4 of mine over the years, my preferred length, minimal tail and almost always long enough
35' used as a short DRT/SRT system as well as lanyard, cut into 2 15's
I do mostly red/white oak, silver maple, slash pine and white pine, from 40-120ft tall normally, done a few 140ft oaks here and there as well but never needed to get into the tops

150' main line, plenty of extra rope I can tie on if I need more for the odd big tree.
50' short main for pee pee trees.
Everyday lanyard is 25'.

Back