Retractable lanyard setup

I normally use a ditty bag for my lanyard and a Cinch but I like the retractable device a lot, it looks very smooth.

Paul, did you send the HH? it's not arrived yet.

On mine, all of the cord fits in the winder. I dont have any extra. Around 13'

Let me rephrase that, how much extra weight for the winder, on top of the lanyard weight. Is there a stopper knot inside? If you were to be descending too quickly on your lanyard, is it possible to pop the end loose, and pull the end through the hitch?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
There is not enough room for a stopper knot. We do however stitch the cord doubled over so no it couldnt go through cinch or hitch. Plus to pull it out of the winder you would have to break it.

There is not enough room for a stopper knot. We do however stitch the cord doubled over so no it couldnt go through cinch or hitch. Plus to pull it out of the winder you would have to break it.

I didn't figure that it would have room for a stopper. The doubled over and stitched part is probably a good blocker, especially if it needs to break out of the housing.

I know that in regular use, it shouldn't break, but since lanyards can be/ are used as primary life support between cutting operations, its a consideration, in my mind. I am picturing a novice that is hanging on it and panics, grabbing the hitch rather than letting go.

So is it possible for the user to replace the cord by themselves? Like if u cut it or just want something different in there?

It is IMO fairly easy to replace the rope, 7 philips screws and you dont even have to mess with the spring other than winding it.

Sweetness. That's great to know. I'm making up a 10mm ocean polyester lanyard right now that I'd love to put in there when I get one.

OP 10mm I believe is significantly bigger than the beeline..... Dont think you will get it in there. Everybody wants a small compact unit which leads to some pretty serious space constraints.....

Really? I thought it'd be the same as 10mm bee line. When it gets here tomorrow I'll have to compare it too the 10mm bee line I have lying around.

I was kinda saying I dont know if the doubled up stopper will fit in the center of the spool...... Will be very tight, as is with the beeline you have to squeeze it down with the screws......

Hey Paul can you make for 11mm. i ahve tried smaller dia than 11mm and it seems to be the smallest I can go that will fit
the inner fist grip. I grip at the base of the proximal phallange basically where you curl your finger tips tight. So anything smaller than 11mm is troublesome.
I am willing to give a smaller diameter a good go any ways. Count me in for one please.

I was kinda saying I dont know if the doubled up stopper will fit in the center of the spool...... Will be very tight, as is with the beeline you have to squeeze it down with the screws......

Ah, ok, gotcha. When I get my side winder whenever u start selling them I'll give it a go and let u know.

I see...If it doesn't work out, while I originally found the Beeline to be thin, I got used to it really quick. the more I use it the more I like it.

Same here. I'm currently using the 10mm beeline for a lanyard and really starting to like it a lot. I'm using the Cinch right now with it, which is ok, but might go back to a VT. What hitch cord are you guys finding that goes well on the 10mm beeline?

I've got a manual Sidewinder. It's called a ditty bag. :|:

If you had zip ties you wouldnt be able to take it off the harness. I dont take mine off but I would imagine folks would want the ability to use different setups.

I don't know what everyone else is going to use but a 1" nylon web strap with a cinching buckle works real well. The Sidewinder can be quickly put on or taken off and it cinches tight to the harness.

Dave

100_4832_zps1e2d7d58.jpg

100_4836_zpsd9215d6c-1_zps7827ef09.jpg

That really is looking good. I am gadget oriented enough I might have to get one of those. Thanks for the pictures.

Dave, cannt see in the pics, did you cut through the bottom of the housing or just the top?? Did I send you the 1/2 buckle strap with yours or not?

The other advantage to your idea is it is now right and left handed .......

Back